Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 3:30 am

I've seen quite a few NTs with monotone voices. Do you think they're secret aspies?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 5:22 am

Maybe they are, Who knows?

All I know is that monotone seems to work well in my line of work.

It's kind of expressionless, unemotional and nonthreatening.

It might even be a little seductive and it might have a hypnotic and sedative affect.

Maybe people just train themselves to be monotone for the reasons I have found work well.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 9:08 am

I've seen NTs that seem to have sensory issues, but don't

camenzind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

To me, some neurotypical people have got a monotone voice when they speak and think at the same time.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 9:52 am

Well, firstly, it's not that NTs never talk in a monotone, but that some aspies do it all the time. If someone talks in a monotone part of the time and varies their tone at other times, that's not a sign of being an aspie.

Secondly, some people can have a couple autistic traits without actually being autistic.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm

Ettina wrote:
Well, firstly, it's not that NTs never talk in a monotone, but that some aspies do it all the time. If someone talks in a monotone part of the time and varies their tone at other times, that's not a sign of being an aspie.

Secondly, some people can have a couple autistic traits without actually being autistic.

I sometimes vary my tone and I'm sometimes monotone. I guess that's a sign I'm not really an aspie. :)

camenzind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jan 2016, 3:27 pm

To me, it is not because someone is an aspie that she/he has a monotone voice. Is that necessarily linked to the Asperger syndrome ?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 3:38 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Ettina wrote:

I sometimes vary my tone and I'm sometimes monotone. I guess that's a sign I'm not really an aspie. :)

Whether or not you show one trait is not the sole determiner of whether you're an aspie or not.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 3:56 pm

Ettina wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Whether or not you show one trait is not the sole determiner of whether you're an aspie or not.

Most of my symptoms are just ADHD. I think that's a sign ADHD is a more useful label to describe me. I think I have severe ADHD with some BAP traits.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 4:41 pm

Hello, i do not have a monotone voice, maybe even a bit "too much" melodic.
So i am speaking of a problem i do not know. However, i have an idea.

For the story, when i learn a language, i speak it aloud and alone. It is like a training and when i suddenly have to speak it with other people, i can speak it very easy and natural, like if i was speaking the language every day.

The melody of the speech is some kind of music. Normally, as a child, when you learn the language, you listen to the sentence and the music of the sentence, and you repeat the whole. I was thinking, that maybe, if you like music, what about trying to listen to songs and train to sing alone? This could be a good training to listen to a melody and repeat it.

Can people with monotone voices sing?

I personally have poor body language. I decided to watch some videos with good speakers at home (videos about my personal interests). I was paying very much attention to the gestures, i was trying to mimic from time to time the gesture, while repeating the sentence. And this worked good! I was surprised that in a real conversation, i was repeating these gestures, naturally, in the good context, without planning it :)

This technique could maybe also help for voice melody as well, i guess.

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 23 Jan 2016, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2016, 7:50 pm

babybird wrote:
Maybe they are, Who knows?

All I know is that monotone seems to work well in my line of work.

It's kind of expressionless, unemotional and nonthreatening.

It might even be a little seductive and it might have a hypnotic and sedative affect.

Maybe people just train themselves to be monotone for the reasons I have found work well.

I'm very nervous (maybe even phobic?) over visiting doctors/some medical things. My PCP is pretty calm and almost monotone-speaking, and that calms me somewhat, so I'd consider it a positive trait in some instances.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 11:04 pm

I speak in monotone with little body language. Most people speak that way where I live. :(

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 12:19 am

Okay, this is just how it seems to me:

There are two kinds of monotone voices, the Aspie version and the NT version.

* In the Aspie version, the monotone voice just happens naturally, and comes about from perhaps a sensory issue ... likely hearing.

* In the NT version, the monotone voice is used purposely as a tool to seem "cool" or "powerful" or "in control" no matter what is going on. Like putting on a "game face".

As for me, I speak with lots of feeling, no monotone for me. ... Instead, lots of tonal inflection and expressiveness in my voice, probably more than normal ... and I think it's an Aspie thing.

Jenine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2016, 12:22 am

If a non-Autistic has a monotone voice, it doesn't mean they have Autism. They're probably just not the enthusiastic type. They're normal in their way of thinking, socializing with others, and so forth. But, they're probably not as outgoing. Some people are like that.