Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 1:20 am

My parents be asking me "you still video playing games?", haven't you outgrown that? But there's plenty of grown people that play games that's way older than me and im just 19. I don't play like I used to but it is something that I still enjoy doing. On the other hand I notice that when I walk into a game store the older guys or teenagers seem kinda odd or geeky.They don't exactly look the coolest and sometimes I have anxiety about going cuz I don't want any I know to see me and think im a nerd or lame. The average person my age is into females and partying.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 May 2008, 1:48 am

Heck no, it's not lame. The average gamer is 20-30. Chances are, some of those people that are into girls and partying are actually into girls, partying, and gaming.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2008, 2:02 am

Im a 20 year old girl gamer so there we go, older than you and a girl :)
There's nothing wrong with gaming, people don't know what they are missing out.
There are always going to be stereotypes but there are always going to be people who break the stereotypes as well and it doesn't matter which of those you are as long as you enjoy it.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 3:11 am

Maybe it is a covert way of saying that you are spending too much time on gaming?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 3:31 am

You can't let what other people think of certain activities you like define how you think of yourself. If you enjoy video games who cares what other people think. Constantly feeling self-conscious about the things you enjoy is just going to make your life miserable.

If video game time is interfering with other things in your life then that may be a different story. Some gamers are lame only because they put their gaming before everything else in their life ( <cough> WOW addicts ).

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2008, 3:36 am

Depends on if you're an addict. If you are, then your parents are worried you're wasting your life.

If not, it just means they have a very untrue stereotype about gamers being children in their head.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 6:07 am

MAN I wish I had the exact statistic, but the average player of video games, according to a recent news program was like 32yo!! !!

Quote:
Videogame misconceptions
This news story about Wisconsin legislation to put a tax on videogames reflects the widespread misconception in the US that videogames are a "kids thing." That's how the bill's author, state Sen. Jon Erpenbach, described them to WISC-TV. The motivation is good - to raise money to have youth "who commit non-violent crimes" tried in the juvenile system. "Currently, 17-year-olds are treated as adults," according to WISC-TV. The only problem is, videogames aren't a kid thing, actually. "The average videogame player is 33 years old," according to Entertainment Software Association research, and PC World blogger Matt Peckham points to the same data in asking, "Is there any way we could put an age cap on the tax? You know, since you say it's a 'kids-kids' thing, which pretty obviously means you're not talking about the ESA's '67% of American heads of households play computer and video games' statistic.

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 May 2008, 6:55 am

People I know who spend the most time on video games: me, my girlfriend, my friend Duncan and my brother. Aged 27, 21, 26 and 30 respectively. I don't think there's any problem with that. Of course, if the games are causing other problems in your life, that's another matter.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2008, 7:02 am

Plenty of adults play video games. It's not weird, and it's not Aspie-specific.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 7:13 am

I'm just playing a free online game... and some (totally non-autistic) friends have already started too.

Besides, my mother is more than twice my age and still occasionally plays video games for fun.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:20 am

plenty of nt gamers out there who are pretty much double or even triple the 'acceptable' ages. :-p

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:22 am

There's no difference between gaming and reading/listening to music/watching films in terms of non productive time wasting, except you can play games on a much more interactive level, that includes interacting with other people.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2008, 8:30 am

29 year old girl gamer here. I often wonder if I'll look funny at 90 playing video games. But I don't really care. I'll always be a gamer. It makes me happy.

I'm hoping to be able to get Rockband soon. <_< And yes, I have a WoW account, but I'm not an addict. I'm actually an old EQ addict. LOL

acannon
Raven
Raven

24 May 2008, 8:44 am

I'm 19 and I play video games. My fiance is 24 and he plays video games, too. Don't worry about what your parents think. Just keep doing what you like doing if it makes you happy.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:46 am

Your right Brandon-J, it is kind of geeky, when you see men in their late 20's or even in their 30's hanging out a game stores, I have heard that men seem to have delayed their adulthood, by not taking on any responsibilities, such as moving out of their parents house in their early 20's, this seem to have been a trend for a lot of gen X guys. Men use to have a career and had a mortgaged house by the time they reached 25, having finished their college by 21 or 22, this would have been in the early 1960's, but now men want to be and act like children well into their 30's, leaching off their mom and dad.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:53 am

Brandon-J wrote:
My parents be asking me "you still video playing games?", haven't you outgrown that? But there's plenty of grown people that play games that's way older than me and im just 19. I don't play like I used to but it is something that I still enjoy doing. On the other hand I notice that when I walk into a game store the older guys or teenagers seem kinda odd or geeky.They don't exactly look the coolest and sometimes I have anxiety about going cuz I don't want any I know to see me and think im a nerd or lame. The average person my age is into females and partying.

My bro's the same age and he plays all the classics like supermario and earthbound! You might be a nerd but that's not really a bad thing, just watch out for school-obsessed 'geeks' that can masquerade as the same thing.You can still be into females and parties and play video games.They don't really care unless their shallow.Besides, I think alot of girls would find it cute that you still find alternative ways to have fun besides trying to hit on them constantly!

Don't give up!