Do certain sounds drive anybody else nuts?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:03 pm

Vacuum cleaners. In order to tolerate this I have to be vacuuming the rugs myself.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:11 pm

When someone calls out my name, my dad's sharp voice, honkers, and advertisements, yipping dogs, subtle noises made me jerk.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:56 pm

Most of all, above all else, electric noises. Every single appliance these days seems to make a horrible, super-high-pitched electronic squeal that I can't stand. I hate it I hate it I hate it... I have to leave the room, it's just horrendous. The TV does it if I sit too close, the washing machine does it, the dishwasher does it, my mobile phone charger, the photocopier, the boiler, the DVD player, my laptop... everything! Arghghgh! I was in a fairly important meeting one time and I ended up walking out because the alarm system was squealing at such a horrible high frequency, and I could only hear it when I turned my head a certain direction and looked at one of my colleagues (who was leading the meeting) and my ear was in line with it... it was just awful, like torture. I can't think when I'm near them either. Uuuuuuuugh.

Other than that, yes, cutlery on plates. Balloon noise, when you squish them and squeak your fingers on them... I can't stand that either. At a gig when you get feedback from microphones or amps and it's deafening...

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 5:06 pm

I can't stand the sound of people eating or slurping, babies crying and the scraping of metallic objects onto both metallic and other surfaces.

Mike777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 5:21 pm

Sound of plastic bag and *shhh shhh* sounds in general.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 Apr 2008, 5:30 pm

Loud fans, I would rather scorch my ass off in summer than listen to a loud fan. :x

ArtisticAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2008, 7:33 pm

Sounds that cause me to get angry/upset/ or cause a meltdown: car horns tooting - instant rage should I be outside the car and someone just presses the horn for a bit of fun, children screaming when they are playing and I am nearby them, any sudden loud sound - like someone sneaking up behind me and shouting 'boo!' (although these days it is hard to sneak up on me, because my hearing is so acute)...

Sounds that cause me to leave the room: people coughing while they are eating, babies crying/winging children (although prolonged exposure causes aggravation and a meltdown), the sound of someone/something throwing up, any high-pitched sound - including people's voices should they be high-pitched, and loud fast-paced advertisements on TV and the person who's in charge of the remote does not turn it down when asked...

Sounds that cause me to cringe: Screeching utensils on plates, squidgy rubber things on windows that dry the water from the glass, the high-pitched whine of the vacuum cleaner (although prolonged exposure causes a lot of anger - if I happen to be vacuuming, I have earplugs in my ears), something rattling in the car, that horrible polystyrene squeaking sound when it rubs against something...

Sounds that just plain annoy me: Constant barking from neighbours' dogs, branches scraping against metal fences or roof tops, my cat wailing when he wants attention, buzzing lightbulbs, ticking clocks, constant ringing of the phone...

Sounds that I absolutely love but to others it can be annoying: water pouring out of a jug - love that gloig gloig gloig sound, crickets chirping, trance music and other music with low deep beats, Harley Davidsons thundering (although I do not like prolonged exposure), thick paper bags being slowly crunched together - absolutely love that sound!

Can't think of anything else, but I am sure there are plenty more sounds either really annoy me or I love but others hate.

AA

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Apr 2008, 7:58 pm

Noisy eaters drive me crazy too. Something I found I really hate is the sound of people kissing loudly. I don't know what it causes it it but the sound of it makes me want to punch someone in the face has hard has I can. When my bro was dating the sound had my litraly head butting my bedroom wall.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2008, 7:58 pm

The ultimate in bad sounds- people sneezing.

I have learned to accept two sneezes by clenching my hands very tight, after that, depending on my mood and who is with me I can flip.
I was on a ferry and a woman sneezed 27 times in a row. I had my fingers in my ears rocking back and forth...it was awful.

Other sounds I really can't stand are car alarms, anything that makes me jump, people blowing their noses.

Im intolerant of a lot of sound actually, sound hurts.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2008, 8:04 pm

I hate the sound emitted by electronics, my pc is the worst due to both the lcd screen and the fans. People with screechy voices make me want to kill myself. I also hate the sound of my mexican black kingsnake sneezing but i believe that gets to me for other reasons.

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 8:05 pm

craola wrote:
The ultimate in bad sounds- people sneezing.

I have learned to accept two sneezes by clenching my hands very tight, after that, depending on my mood and who is with me I can flip.
I was on a ferry and a woman sneezed 27 times in a row. I had my fingers in my ears rocking back and forth...it was awful.

Other sounds I really can't stand are car alarms, anything that makes me jump, people blowing their noses.

Im intolerant of a lot of sound actually, sound hurts.

ugh yes :evil: even worse, my dad is one of those really annoying people who, whenever they sneeze, have to do it as DELIBERATELY LOUD as possible :cry: and he's always whistling too, its so irritating. and mum has a chronic cough, its a nightmare at home.

i can't go out the house without stuffing my ears full of cotton wool.... unfortunately i can't stand the cotton wool for very long either :(

cdc2001c
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

The marker on papersound drives me nuts. Also in certain songs Ive heard on the radio there is sometimes this annoying background scratching sound I hear almost like a violin but much more annoying. And generally any high pitch sound.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2008, 9:56 pm

There are so many sounds that drive me nuts!

-people chewing
-styrafoam
-whiteboard markers on whiteboard
-beeping timers, microwaves, etc. I hover around the microwave and timers to turn them off before they beep
-grinding teeth
-chalk on chalkboard
-ice crunching, snow crunching
-school bell across the street
-ticking clocks
-the fresh air ventilation system in my house
-the baby's very high-pitched squeals and screams

- I think I could go on forever...

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:17 pm

Any sudden sound drives me crazy. The worst one that I can think of is my pet cute bird screaming. He is a macaw and they can scream at 105 db and that literally damages your hearing and might make you deaf! Like some of you, I also can't stand babies crying. I am not going to have a kid because of all the noise and stress they cause.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

10 Apr 2008, 11:11 pm

No kids for me either. I'd likely kill them. I've noticed that all the high pitched noises seem to increase in volume when my stress goes up, and I get stressed when exposed to noise. One just amplifies the other, like holding a microphone in front of a speaker. Last weekend, I was at burger king, and it was loud. The worst thing of all was that there was this stupid kid dribbling a basketball inside. I came very close to throwing that ball outside and watching that ingrate kid chase after it like a dog. Never go anywhere without a nice set of Bowes headphones. They're wonderful.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:18 pm

Claps (people clapping hands), pens clicking. That is what Damien has just told me when I asked why sounds do you hate.