Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2008, 6:31 am

What are the stages of an Aspie being under stress?
Meltdowns, Stimming etc.

I have a problem. It's so hard to get over something that happens today. And I'm trying to block that thought out. Everytime I think about something, like an embarassing event, I cringe. I clear my throat, cough, click my pen, tap the desks, grunt. Everything to block out those thoughts. But it's difficult, and it's embarassing to do that in front of class mates.

I have meltdowns: I yell at people to leave me alone. Be little others, retaliate if others insulted you. But it's over whelming.

I don't stim: I never found myself rocking or flapping my hands.

Is this normal? Is this common among the Aspies?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 7:23 am

Sounds like it but I guess it could depend. Unfortunately I still have problems where if I'm overloaded with actitivities and demands, I end up yelling or walking away to a quiet place. I hate it and have had to take anger management for it. Helped a little but yeah it's a pain in the a**. Does sound like a meltdown. Unfortunately, I had to get on a med for anxiety because of this, it's helped in some ways.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 9:00 am

Could the pen clicking, etc. be considered a form of stimming? I do things like this, too, and lately I have been doing similar things a lot more than usual, and other people have been noticing. It is sort of involuntary if you don't catch it. Even so, at times I really wish other people would ignore it. Lately I have been under quite a lot of stress, and my resistance to socializing, body language etc. have gotten a lot worse, and it probably won't get better until the transitions I'm undergoing are complete.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 10:03 am

i have also trouble dealing whith this :oops:

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 11:00 am

:roll: Poor Batista. :(

kansei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Apr 2008, 11:51 am

in a real, physical situation where I'm stressed I just get pretty bad anxiety feelings. Fast heart rate, sweating, darting eyes, feel like I'm about to vomit. In an electronic setting (i.e. forums like this) I get most of the above, but since I'm alone in a quiet place I don't get the darting eyes (searching for an escape) as much.

I don't think I'd ever literally run away to a quiet place, I don't like to attract attention at all. I'd sneak away, and I do it a lot. If I'm on campus I'll often walk 15 mins to my car and just sit in it so I can have some peace and quiet.

I'm pretty good at repressing thoughts that cause stress if nothing in my environment triggers the thoughts, but when it happens I just try some nice, slow, calm breathing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:08 pm

To me, stress is something that I experience, if I hold something in, for a very long time. I was holding in a lot of pain that I was experiencing, over the poor health of my aunt and Nana, and the passing of my aunt. It's gotten to the point, that I'm taking a three day break from my clubhouse, because of it. I'm wishing that it didn't get to that point. I'll take the three day break, this week, and than I'll see how I feel, next Thursday.