Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Thanos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2017, 11:32 am

I've realized that I'm currently being held back by poor executive function. In particular time management and remembering everyday tasks (planning meals, remembering to do basic hygiene before bedtime/time to leave for work) are difficult. I also have issues working towards bigger goals (certifications, vacation planning, etc).

In the past I've tried different styles of to-do lists, the Pomodoro Technique, Franklin Covey's methods, setting reminders/timers and more. I either seem to get bogged down in listing/planning, overwhelmed/anxious from the amount of things (particularly the ones I am trying to avoid), or "life happens" and the system falls apart.

What tools/techniques do you use to keep yourself on track? What do you do to keep yourself aware of what your supposed be doing?

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 12:02 pm

Phone alarms. For everything. Have to take pill? Alarm. Have to eat lunch? Alarm. Have to turn in a paper? Alarm. Even if I don't need them, they help me keep on track. BTW: Don't choose your favorite song as an alarm. You will hate it within a week.

Thanos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2017, 12:10 pm

Thanks rats_and_cats. I've used alarms in the past, but the issue comes when the alarm goes off, but I'm not able to do what it is set for (eg, I'm not at home). Often I think "I should snooze this for until I get home!", but end up forgetting if I can't do it right away. It also doesn't work for days I'm not running on a normal schedule. Any suggestions?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 1:21 pm

I wish I had a good answer. I struggle with this.

I find lists useful, but also run into problems with them, as you have.

Google calendar and tasks are really good ways of managing lists and setting timed or dated reminders, if you have reliable internet access.

I found the "Getting Things Done" system conceptually useful, but too difficult to use fully in practice (I would need better executive functioning skills just to manage a full GTD system!)

Particularly useful from GTD are the contextual lists (at the supermarket, online, on the phone, etc.) and the sorting to tossing, filling or next action.

The sorting basically means that you look at stuff that comes your way and sort them into things you can toss and immediately get out of your system, things that can be done quickly and that you can act on right now and things that need to be placed on a list for action at a future time or in a different context.

The goal is to to get as much down on paper (or in a file) as possible so that you don't rely on storage in your head, where keeping track of things costs you energy and may fail. This means you don't have to worry about remembering stuff all the time and that gives you more energy to do stuff.

The other thing is that asks you to refine your understanding of a need until it is identified as a specific action. Not, For example, "deal with the important project" because that is not a next action. Instead, "call Bob to get the information needed for the first draft of the report on the important project" or "write the first draft of the imortant project."

There is a lot of stuff online about this system. So much that just researching it might overwhelm you--but parts of it are very good.

Good luck.