Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,090
Location: Windham County, VT

14 Apr 2008, 3:33 am

ButchCoolidge wrote:
I don't doubt that some aspies have had great success with using alcohol and weed as a social lubricant, but for me it has mostly resulted in more awkwardness than ever. Sometimes I get it just right, but usually I either get so drunk or high that I lose my filter completely and up saying something really embarrassing/offensive, or the weed makes me very quiet, introspective, and self-conscious.

With or without drink or smoke, I can end up having these reactions-and so have "NT"'s that I've met. Am not trying to disagree with what you say, and I agree that each individual has differing experiences (positive & negative) with any substance, both legal (rx'd) and illegal (recreational) chemicals-due to unique combinations (and interactions) of mind & body.
jawbrodt wrote:
Drug use has provided me with abundant knowledge that isn't accessible elsewhere. It has made me a much more well-rounded person.

This fits with my viewpoint/outlook.

Many people disagree (that recreational drug use has any merit), and I don't want to argue-am not out to convince nor am I in market to be convinced (would be futile & frustrating for all involved). It's not my place to tell other people what to do (or not), nor is it others' place to tell me what I can do (wish the gov't. would keep its hands off my brain !). Those who want to do this or that should be free to indulge-those who don't want to are free to refrain.

Metaphorically, one person's trash (harmful tool or toxin) is another person's treasure (helpful tool or remedy), and vice versa-we see it all the time. People (dx'd ASD-or any person) do not all have to do the same thing, be the same way or live the same lifestyle.


_________________
*"I don't know what it is, but I know what it isn't."*


Sarcastic_Name
Fumigated With Boredom
Fumigated With Boredom

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,594

14 Apr 2008, 12:06 pm

If not for alcohol, I'd still be horrible at conversation. I've had some of the best coversations/experiences when drunk or buzzed. After drinking enough times, I've learned to be that relaxed without the assistance of alcohol. It's a mindset, plain and simple.

Pot is different every time for me though. Sometimes I can smoke more than everyone around me and feel nothing, and sometimes woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It usually depends on the crowd, and I have a huge tolerance so it has to be high quality.

But with both those two, I got the odd occassional night where my body is effected but not my mind. Where I show all physical syptoms of being drunk/stoned, but I'm mentally fine. Nights like those are weird.


_________________
Hello.


Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,058
Location: Switzerland

14 Apr 2008, 12:54 pm

Alcohol is my best friend. If it weren't for alcohol, I would have killed myself seventeen years ago. Which is why I regard the current witch-hunt against smokers with concern, even though I've never smoked and regard it as a filthy habit. I know that, once they're done with the smokers, they will try to outlaw drinking, like they did in the States in the twenties. But they'll have to pry my liquor bottle out of my cold, dead hands. :evil:



ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 471
Location: New York, New York

14 Apr 2008, 1:13 pm

Icheb wrote:
Alcohol is my best friend. If it weren't for alcohol, I would have killed myself seventeen years ago.


Good luck with that. Most people who say things like that end up either in rehab, dead from alcoholism, or eventually they kill themselves anyway. I'm not trying to patronize you - I am an alcoholic myself, and I know that once drugs/alcohol became my best friend, I was in for a world of pain trying to let go of it once I got out of control. But, maybe you're keeping it under control better than I did.



Seth36
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 83
Location: Newcastle, UK

14 Apr 2008, 3:08 pm

OK my message is addressed to the original poster and everyone else who has made and argument in favour off or against recreational drug use and particularly those people who have used the term stupid.

First of all I am not stupid, IQ score 168 do advanced programming for a living, i have in the past and still do on occasion recreationally smoke weed, i dont take harder drugs because i choose not to. having recreational drug use does not make you stupid, you can use them responsibly incase you hadnt actually thought of that. What makes you stupid is using them irresponsibly, just like its irresponsible to tarnish everyone who has recreational drug use with that same brush as i take real issue with being compared to an irresponsible crack addict, there is a huge difference so i firmly agree with an earlier statement that you are truly and completely closed minded.

Now although i have used weed in the past i still know thats not a positive thing and i have switched over to legal high alternatives and they seriously do work. Spice Gold is a smoking herbal mixture which is the alternative to weed and belive me it works, i smoke that daily, it helps with my insomnia it calms my compulsions and obsessive behaviour, helps block out my intrusive thoughts etc it does wonders for helping me manage my life better without any negative side effects, and its completely legal (not in the US though). A friend of mind is setting up a business that sells this called i DeaLA so look out for it, you can get legal high alternatives for pills like MDMA as well, some called London Underground range which are BZP free also legal and safe so if anyone wants to experiment then honestly i would reccommend looking these up instead.



sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,766
Location: The Castle of Shock and Awe-tism

14 Apr 2008, 4:55 pm

La de da drug use topic

I have no use for drugs. I refuse to fund crime syndicates (which is where most of these illegal substances come from) by buying their junk.

I do not drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, and only take meds if prescribed by a qualified physician. I refuse to take any medications for psychological reasons. :)


_________________
Radiant Aspergian
Awe-Tistic Whirlwind

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo


psych
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,665
Location: w london

14 Apr 2008, 5:17 pm

Willard wrote:
spoken like a true closed mind.


minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.



skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,014
Location: Florida

14 Apr 2008, 6:07 pm

well, many coffee/ soda drinkers and chocolate eaters would be amazed to know ( if they don't know already) that they are, in fact, recreational drug users. Caffeine IS a drug, and it does alter your mood/ alertness level. So if anyone wants to make a "blanket statement" by saying that ALL recreational drug use is stupid... well, I hope they didn't type that while sucking down a Pepsi cola or while eating a Hershey chocolate bar. Because they would then be making hypocritical statements.



beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,928
Location: Ontario, Canada

14 Apr 2008, 6:25 pm

i don't see what the big issue with recreational drug use is. you take something that makes you feel a certain way or experience certain things, those things might be enjoyable, they might not. if you use them in moderation and don't let them take over your life then i don't see what's wrong with them. i smoke pot every once in a while, i've used opioids leftover from actual prescriptions recreationally (used the rest of my pain killers for a high when i didn't need them). the only drug that i've ever had any kind of a problem with is alcohol. in september '07 i was drinking a lot, i wasn't addicted (as proven by my month-long abstinence three times this year) but i drank a lot.

anyways, back on topic. i think because of the difference in the way we think we might experience drugs differently but i wouldn't be overly concerned with it. people with adhd will actually calm down with low doses of stimulants (or high doses, i've taken decently high doses and haven't felt a rush) so don't worry about it, let him decide if he likes them or not.



ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 471
Location: New York, New York

14 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm

Abstinence for a month three times certainly does not prove that you are addicted. In fact, if anything, the fact that you went out of your way to take a break is a major sign you might have been addicted in my opinion. And I think addiction is where 90% of the problem with drugs comes from. Aspies in particular, from what I have heard on these boards, can have a lot of trouble with moderation in general, so, I can understand why people are against them.



beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,928
Location: Ontario, Canada

14 Apr 2008, 10:39 pm

well the three times were for different reasons. the first time was because i got acute kidney failure (unrelated to drinking) and had to stop drinking until my kidney function returned. at first it was a bit difficult simply because i was in the habit of drinking at parties, having a beer or two after class with friends, etc.

the second time, i was depressed and didn't go to social events, so i didn't drink there and didn't bother drinking at home.

the third time i decided to stop drinking until the end of class (not including reading week and st patty's day) to prove it to a friend of mine that i could. this was pretty easy and i haven't really started drinking much since then. i still go to the occasional party or have the occasional pint(s) or pitcher(s) with friends, but most of the time i'm not drinking, despite the fact that i really enjoy the effects of even a couple of beers.

so i'll admit that i was probably close to addiction in the fall because of the sheer quantity of alcohol i was consuming on a regular basis, but in general i avoid addictive behavior. i don't even drink coffee on a regular basis because i don't want to get addicted.



metalab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 145
Location: Portland, Oregon

15 Apr 2008, 6:27 am

mets14032 wrote:
I have a friend who we just recently found out has Asperger's Syndrome. I was wondering if it's any more dangerous for him to use drugs recreationally. We smoke weed with him pretty much daily, we've all noticed that he gets really high from just a little, he probably smokes about three times less than we do but gets like ten times higher. I have no idea if this is from Asperger's or if it's just him. He also has trouble drinking liquor, like he'll gag and spit it out. We made fun of him for this before but I think it might be because of his Asperger's, it makes him really sensitive to taste.

Anyway, is there any more risk involved for him experimenting with drugs compared to a normal person?

Thanks


reminds me of when I just started smoking weed. I would get ridiculously out of control off marijuana. Way more than my friends. I would quite literally go crazy at times.

But I smoked weed everyday for like 15 months... so Id say theres no issue. I in all honesty find marijuana helped me get in touch with more 'normal' modes of cognition.

In fact things like LSD really helped me sort out some social dilemmas with myself and sort of learn how to operate better. Honestly, if none of you have looked into this, type "autism LSD" into google, it can really have profound effect on people with autistic tendencies because the level of self-reflection it allows one to do. Which I mean obviously it has a profound effect on everyone, but aspie types I think it's all the more mind-blowing because for me atleast, some of the stuff felt like I was now tuning into the psychic flow that 'normal' people are all hooked into, but since they have been hooked into it their whole life they didn't realize they were hooked into some psychic interconnection and thus didn't even know how to begin explaining what 'normal' is.



history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
Location: X

16 Apr 2008, 8:09 am

I'm an aspie. I smoke reefer, drink, and do DXM. Recently, alcohol has started to lose it's effect. A nice buzz from a few beers isn't as noticible as it once was. Reefer and DXM both put me into a different mindspace. I have gotten somewhat tolerant to both of those over the years but being high and robo-ing still give me my kicks. I mind the comedown effects from DXM more then I used to, whereas reefer doesn't make me as paranoid as it once did.


_________________
X


ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 471
Location: New York, New York

16 Apr 2008, 12:49 pm

From what I've read, DXM is really harmful to the brain (of course, so is alcohol). Be careful with DXM.



Sarcastic_Name
Fumigated With Boredom
Fumigated With Boredom

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,594

16 Apr 2008, 9:06 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
I'm an aspie. I smoke reefer, drink, and do DXM. Recently, alcohol has started to lose it's effect. A nice buzz from a few beers isn't as noticible as it once was. Reefer and DXM both put me into a different mindspace. I have gotten somewhat tolerant to both of those over the years but being high and robo-ing still give me my kicks. I mind the comedown effects from DXM more then I used to, whereas reefer doesn't make me as paranoid as it once did.

I tried DXM once, I enjoyed coming down and hated the effect it had on me.


_________________
Hello.