Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2008, 10:02 pm

I enjoy alcohol...it can mean the difference between me huddled all alone feeling completely stale and stiff and out of place...or me actually having a good time someplace.

It can also cause me to have pretty bad meltdowns or make a big fool of myself...(had alcohol-related meltdown just last night...)..I say it is alcohol-related because I do not think meltdown would have occurred without the really stiff drink I had...but there were external factors involved..not just the alcohol.

I cannot smoke pot at all. It does horrible horrible atypical things to me...but plenty aspies smoke pot just fine...without severe anxiety and regression nd weeping and delusions and even hallucenations...so while there may be some sort of neurological/brain-chemistry reason why pot causes such a big change in me..it is not necc. due to AS....or whatever on earth it is that I have.....

I enjoy the perspective shift that I get from stimulants...but um...I never get exactly "buzzed"...Best case scenario..focused and intense....worst case scenario...nervous and kinda paranoid...but never "hyper"...(more likely to get "hyper" with alcohol)

LSD can make me feel relaxed, lucid, at ease, social and happy...(best case scenario)...worst case scenario will have me cowering on the floor behind the couch....

and opioids will most likely make me vomit.

everybody is different.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 2:57 am

mets14032 wrote:
I have a friend who we just recently found out has Asperger's Syndrome. I was wondering if it's any more dangerous for him to use drugs recreationally. We smoke weed with him pretty much daily, we've all noticed that he gets really high from just a little, he probably smokes about three times less than we do but gets like ten times higher. I have no idea if this is from Asperger's or if it's just him. He also has trouble drinking liquor, like he'll gag and spit it out. We made fun of him for this before but I think it might be because of his Asperger's, it makes him really sensitive to taste.

Anyway, is there any more risk involved for him experimenting with drugs compared to a normal person?

Thanks

Nah I've smoked weed and it ain't dangerous. How much does he smoke daily? The more you smoke the more your body gets used to it. First couple times I really got high and was close to passing out sometimes but once I got used to it I was just like everybody else. I guess it just depends on the person.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 11:07 am

ButchCoolidge wrote:
From what I've read, DXM is really harmful to the brain (of course, so is alcohol). Be careful with DXM.

Really? From everything I'vre read about it, it's fairly benign. Nothing is harmless though.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 11:09 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
history_of_psychiatry wrote:
I'm an aspie. I smoke reefer, drink, and do DXM. Recently, alcohol has started to lose it's effect. A nice buzz from a few beers isn't as noticible as it once was. Reefer and DXM both put me into a different mindspace. I have gotten somewhat tolerant to both of those over the years but being high and robo-ing still give me my kicks. I mind the comedown effects from DXM more then I used to, whereas reefer doesn't make me as paranoid as it once did.

I tried DXM once, I enjoyed coming down and hated the effect it had on me.

You must have had a huge dose. Smaller doses just make you feel loopy and slightly dissociated. I don't like the comedown of it anymore as it makes me feel worn out.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 7:01 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
ButchCoolidge wrote:
From what I've read, DXM is really harmful to the brain (of course, so is alcohol). Be careful with DXM.

Really? From everything I'vre read about it, it's fairly benign. Nothing is harmless though.

I think the health concerns are related to Olney's (sp?)lesions, or some sort of lesions. This would also apply to the other dissociatives - ketamine, PCP.
I vaguely remember some people criticising the link because only rats had been studied, but this was ages ago (not my scene anyway).