Adult Aspies - do you still fit the DSM-IV criteria?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2008, 4:21 pm

I'm not WANTING to be anything atypical, in fact I wish I had little or no problems with my thinking/behavior so I could do better in my career and by my family. Just about everything about AS, save for a few details, speaks personally to me. The criteria in the DSM-IV seems a bit too "black and white" and leaves, IMO though I'm no expert, room for mild variants to go overlooked. Because of my socializing and work performace issues I'd just as soon say I probably suffer from Avoidance Personality Disorder if it weren't for things such as being a complete "space cadet", my one-sided soliloquy's (which I've learned to control, so I think), and my all-encompassing fixations and interests that suggest I have more in common with AS than anything else.

So, 2 questions for the grown-ups who've been diagnosed: 1. Were you diagnosed as an adult, and if so, did you meet exactly all of the DSM-IV criteria? And 2. If diagnosed as a child, would you to this day meet the criteria for diagnosis?

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2008, 4:29 pm

here it is for those that dont know it:

1) qualitative impairment in social interaction
2) restricted, repetitive and stereotyped behaviors and interests
3) significant impairment in important areas of functioning
4) no significant delay in language development
5) no significant delay in cognitive development, self-help skills or adaptive behaviors(other than social interaction)
6) criteria are not met for another specific pervasive developmental disorder or schizophrenia.

[1]
The World Health Organization ICD-10 criteria are almost identical to DSM-IV:[2] ICD-10 adds the statement that motor clumsiness is usual (although not necessarily a diagnostic feature); ICD-10 adds the statement that isolated special skills, often related to abnormal preoccupations, are common but are not required for diagnosis; and the DSM-IV requirement for clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning is not included in ICD-10.[3][4]

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 4:44 pm

I was diagnosed as an adult.

I meet the DSM-IV definition of AS. That means that I have enough of the criteria to qualify for a diagnosis.

I do not meet every item on the list. I am creative, have no routine, enjoy change, and have few OCD-like behaviors.

I qualify for the diagnosis because I have trouble with social interaction, I have narrow intense interests, I stim, and these things make it hard for me to hold a job, get through school, have a social life, etc.

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2008, 4:48 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I stim

How, exactly, if you don't mind my asking?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 4:59 pm

Age 49, Self-diagnosed 3yrs ago, professionally diagnosed Feb 08.

I think I have, over the years, smoothed the roughest edges of my social awkwardness. I've been able to hold jobs and pursue a career in a somewhat specialized field. Although, now that that field is rapidly becoming obsolete, I've had a difficult time finding something to switch to that I can cope with on a daily basis. I am able to get past the innate aversion to social contact enough to function and seem relatively normal to most of the people around me, though the longer they're exposed to me the more clear it becomes that something is atypical. Close interpersonal relationships are still a nightmare. In fact, I've decided that I'm far better off alone in every respect.

Have my AS traits changed significantly since childhood? Not essentially, no. If what you're hoping is that you'll outgrow it, I wouldn't count on it. It's not that bad, really. The worst frustration is, that NTs often think they can help you to change and that change is a positive thing - it's growth - when the simple truth is, it's one of the definitions of autism: forced, unwanted or sudden change is actually painful and psychologically damaging for us. I think it's one of the hardest things for NTs to comprehend. Spontaneity is the enemy.

:rambo:

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:02 pm

Quote:
So, 2 questions for the grown-ups who've been diagnosed: 1. Were you diagnosed as an adult, and if so, did you meet exactly all of the DSM-IV criteria? And 2. If diagnosed as a child, would you to this day meet the criteria for diagnosis?

As an adult, but I never heard of this test untill a couple days ago.
Quote:

Yes, big time. I'm socially ret*d.
Quote:

No, not really at all.
Quote:

Socially. Isn't that enough?
Quote:

Nope, I was normal there.
Quote:
5) no significant delay in cognitive development, self-help skills or adaptive behaviors(other than social interaction)

No, don't think so. Somebody probably would have noticed if I was.
Quote:
6) criteria are not met for another specific pervasive developmental disorder or schizophrenia.

Definately not schizophrenic, although sometimes I think it could be interesting. Not bi-polar, OCD, anything else really.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2008, 5:27 pm

Yes, I fit all the criteria.

1) qualitative impairment in social interaction - I am socially inept at best. I have absolutely zero interest in socialization, preferring to just stay in my cave with my family.

2) restricted, repetitive and stereotyped behaviors and interests - narrow interests, OCD tendencies, stims

3) significant impairment in important areas of functioning - social, and anxiety that causes impairment in most areas of functioning when not in a comfortable, familiar environment.

4) no significant delay in language development - nope, I was always quite advanced in language skills

5) no significant delay in cognitive development, self-help skills or adaptive behaviors(other than social interaction) - no significant delays

6) criteria are not met for another specific pervasive developmental disorder or schizophrenia. - nope. I am mildly bipolar/cyclothymia.

ETA: I was not diagnosed until recently, but self-diagnosed when seeking a dx for my daughter 3 years ago. She's nearly 10 now.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:31 pm

I was diagnosed as an adult, not even a year ago, so I fit enough of the DSM-IV criteria to 'qualify.'

Quote:

Yes. I haven't really improved over the years, either.

Quote:

Yes and no. I like to have a routine and I'm not keen on sudden change, but I don't have OCD-like rituals.

Quote:

Yes. Both socially and practically.

Quote:

That's true.

Quote:

Not as far as I know.

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder whether I might have Avoidant Personality Disorder or something similar to that, but AS covers the majority of my traits.

Seth36
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2008, 5:54 pm

Shayne wrote:
here it is for those that dont know it:

[1]
The World Health Organization ICD-10 criteria are almost identical to DSM-IV:[2] ICD-10 adds the statement that motor clumsiness is usual (although not necessarily a diagnostic feature); ICD-10 adds the statement that isolated special skills, often related to abnormal preoccupations, are common but are not required for diagnosis; and the DSM-IV requirement for clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning is not included in ICD-10.[3][4]

Literally a yes for all those criteria including the extended criteria from the WHO (this is why I'm pretty sure I have AS but no certainty as I have yet to see a doctor about it)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 6:22 pm

Quote:

I haven't been diagnosed, but feel I fit it fully. Nobody could fit EVERY item, but the DSM breaks into areas and says how many items you should fit.

Quote:

Yep, big time. I'm socially ret*d. It was worse when I was younger.

Quote:

It depends, but I do stick to routine, etc...

Quote:

Socially.

Quote:

Nope, I started talking early.

Quote:

No delays here, in fact I was ahead in a lot of areas.

Quote:

Definitely don't meet other PDDs.

BTW with regard to many examples, I fit the clumsy aspect also.

I am unsure why you are asking the questions, but it is clear you never "recover" 100%, etc...

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 6:29 pm

That's definitely true for me

No

Only in social situations, especially job interviews

True

True

True

I met enough of the criteria to be formally diagnosed at the age of 28. The official diagnosis only confirmed what I knew about myself.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 8:35 pm

AS is a fairly "stable" condition, so if you meet it when younger, one usually meets it when they're older if they're affected.

I'm excluded from the AS criteria.

I meet all of the points for Autistic Disorder now, except (2) (a) and (c), as I can communicate now. I used the DSM-IV-TR to diagnose myself, and I had a psychiatrist confirm such.

Bobby1933
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2008, 8:55 pm

I self diagnosed about 10 months ago after listening to a radio interview with music writer Tim Page. I had just turned 74 years old! The diagnostic criteria fit me very well. I was reluctant to admit to criteria 2 (restricted and stereotyped behaviors) but as I have tried to observe myself over the past 10 months it has become clear that all the criteria fit me.

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2008, 9:29 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Another question: Do you find professionals usually listen to you and consider your personal opinion, i.e. self diagnosis?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:49 pm

nomadic28 wrote:
Another question: Do you find professionals usually listen to you and consider your personal opinion, i.e. self diagnosis?

My generic psychiatrist listened to me in relation to autism. Two other professionals I told that I had OCD listened to me.

If one's self-diagnosis is informed, I don't see why they won't listen to you. You might not be right, but if you've done your research, there's a good chance that you might be.

O, and before autism popped up, I was wrong with Schizophrenia, but I had a psychologist go through it with me, and she told me why I didn't have such.

Last edited by Danielismyname on 16 Apr 2008, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2008, 9:52 pm

Shayne wrote:

Yes, every single one. If you look at the expansions, the descriptions of Autistic Disorder touches on some things that apply to me that aren't addressed by the expansion for AS, but I am in complete agreement with my AS diagnosis.

I don't know about professionals listening. After I had the diagnosis from one qualified professional, it seemed that the second one investigated it with the idea of checking anything that would rule it out, but decided that it was indeed correct. It did not seem at all like she was trying to disprove anything. However, I talked to a third professional in between those two, who was unaware that I had been professionally diagnosed, and she didn't seem as if she were paying much attention to the issues of that particular diagnosis, and said that I "could say I had it if that was what I wanted." Needless to say, I switched to another psychologist in the department (who was told by my doctor of my diagnosis in advance).