Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 1:11 am

Does anyone ever get so anxious around others, that you can't walk normally. If this happens to you, you'll know what I'm talking about.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 1:24 am

lol, yes. I am overcorrecting my walk in public--or just feel I'm not walking right at all. I even brought it to the attention of my family, but they think I'm just trying to invent new things/symptoms. :oops:

Hmm...on second thought I don't think it's because I get too much of anxiety, but because I feel like people are noticing my "awkward" walk.

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2008, 1:36 am

I know exactly what you are talking about. I get so self-conscious of the way I'm walking when I feel like people are watching me and it feels like I'm walking wrong or something. I feel that same way whenever I'm doing anything where people are watching me though.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2008, 1:40 am

I don't really know what I look like to other people when I walk, but when I was a preteen, my sisters frequently informed me that I ran like a nerd.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 1:40 am

oscuria wrote:
lol, yes. I am overcorrecting my walk in public--or just feel I'm not walking right at all. I even brought it to the attention of my family, but they think I'm just trying to invent new things/symptoms. :oops:

Hmm...on second thought I don't think it's because I get too much of anxiety, but because I feel like people are noticing my "awkward" walk.

You say,that you feel like people are noticing your walk, and that is the cause of the awkwardness. That, is an exact description of "social anxiety". The anxiety created by others watching you, interferes with your ability to walk smoothly. I have the same exact problem,sometimes. :)

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 1:47 am

Pithlet wrote:
I don't really know what I look like to other people when I walk, but when I was a preteen, my sisters frequently informed me that I ran like a nerd.

Consider yourself lucky, you don't have the problem I was talking about.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 1:49 am

lovebat wrote:
I know exactly what you are talking about. I get so self-conscious of the way I'm walking when I feel like people are watching me and it feels like I'm walking wrong or something. I feel that same way whenever I'm doing anything where people are watching me though.

Sometimes makes it hard performing a regular job, doesn't it?

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2008, 5:06 am

I have been told i have the same walk as my natural mother and she gets called Percy because of it.Percy penguin.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 5:24 am

Here's an interesting thing. In 1999 I was told by an expert in running that my running gait was "unusual". He got used to it and accepted it - but I never knew that before. I think it may have contributed to issues I had with fluid running into my ankles - which was corrected with inserts in my shoes, but it contributed to my decision to quit umpiring at the end of 2003.

Why that is I don't really know, although I have some theories. For myself it could be because of a gut operation I had in 1984, but I wasn't a fast runner when I was a kid, so it may be before that. There was another minor gut issue though when I was a toddler (silly old me swallowed a nut and bolt!) so who knows?

The most likely answer though would be the childhood issue with manual dexterity. I can't explain exactly why that would be, but I just have the feeling it fits.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 6:04 am

omgosh yes, but its not really anxiety or anxiousness, can be, but also can me randomly also. There are times i just cant walk, my legs dont move right, like the connection to my brain that makes me walks, its temporarly not attached or something haha. But I do have soooooo many problems walking especially due to anxiety, i walk like i'm the room is spinning, and my legs feel like they want to collapse underneath me, and my legs started turning inwards or outwards, and my legs become heavy, i usually end up holding on to things as i walk around, it can get pretty bad!

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 8:17 am

Ixnay on the nervousness, but I am aware that I don't walk like other people, and in case I ever forget that, my mother always takes the time out to remind me of it . . . :roll:

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 2:31 pm

I go in full Pop-Locking Mime Mode sometimes. I get so tense and self-conscious that I start to walk like some weird alien creature or robot or puppet or Kramer or someone from the Ministry of Silly Walks or whatever. My movement gets very weird and pretty much becomes some sort of improvisational interpretive dance. And I get jumpy. Sort of hyper. I also pace. People think I'm weird.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 2:59 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
oscuria wrote:

You say,that you feel like people are noticing your walk, and that is the cause of the awkwardness. That, is an exact description of "social anxiety". The anxiety created by others watching you, interferes with your ability to walk smoothly. I have the same exact problem,sometimes. :)

I don't deny having anxiety, but you posted "ever get so anxious", no, I'm just aware of my awkwardness.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 3:14 pm

I think I know what you mean, its as if you have to think really hard about putting one step in front of the other.. Used to happen to me particularly in highschool.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 3:16 pm

I have an awkward gait and I'm proud of it! :twisted:

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 7:20 pm

The only time I feel comfortable walking is when I'm at home,where I glide and swivel around gracefully to my heart's content.
Then I go out in public.I become like a cross
between a tortoise wading through treacle,or Bambi scampering over thin ice. Even when
no one is watching I still feel awkward :?