The Vaccine Debate: Possible new article?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2008, 9:18 am

Did not see the article posted here, so I thought I'd post it:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -risk.aspx

Apparently in a very small amount of autism cases a mitochondrial disorder can be inflamed by vaccinations - which, in turn, increases autism symptoms.

What do you guys think?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 9:42 am

The only thing that interests me about this is the biological side.

Why/How does vaccination cause damage to some people's mitochondria (from the studies, it appear it must be damage done to the mitochondrial DNA)?

Why aren't the mothers of those children tested for any oddities of their mitochondria?
(Mitochondria are inherited from mothers.)

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 9:49 am

I thought the article very interesting. And I found Dr. Mercola's comments interesting until he veered off into what I consider flaky. I'm sorry if I'm offensive, but I simply cannot trust homeopaths. I have seen them strip extended family members of their money and well-being.

DukeGallison
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2008, 12:58 pm

*sigh* I really wish scientists would make up their minds in the vaccine debate. First they say vaccines don't cause autism, now they say again it can cause autism...

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 1:03 pm

Mitochondrial diseorder is not autism.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:14 pm

i get regular emails in my junk mail folder from dr mercola about new diets that can "lose that extra belly fat" or "things the pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know" etc. so i won't be very quick to listen to this website. there are a lot of different articles about things like these but until the scientific community agrees on something i'm not going to invest much interest in internet articles.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:09 pm

Mage wrote:
Mitochondrial diseorder is not autism.

Yeah exactly, it's just the latest fad in the alternative-health world because one autistic kid got a vaccine injury case through, not for being autistic, but for having a mitochondrial disease. So now if people can convince people that autistic people have mitochondrial disease, they think they'll be able to blame mitochondrial disease for autism.

I think people with Rett's have a higher incidence of mitochondrial disease, and Rett's can in fact cause autism, but Rett's is also relatively easy to test for if it's missed to begin with (which milder versions can be, and then get misdiagnosed as ordinary autism or AS). But Rett's occurs almost exclusively in girls, boys rarely survive. And most diagnosed autistic people are boys. So a Rett's correlation means nothing in ordinary autistic people.