Review: Jimmy John's: Aspie UN-Friendly

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 12:44 pm

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches is one of those self-consciously hip establishments; that is, the founder put up a lot of sarcastic little slogans because he and his buddies thought it was funny at the time (I bet it gets a little less funny after seeing it every day). After glancing at the menu for a few minutes, I settled on a plain old-fashioned turkey and roast beef sandwich as I usually get at Subway. I figured I'd ask for the turkey sub but with roast beef, but apparently they actually explicitly offered a sub with both meats already on it (unfortunately, due to the cool names, it can sometimes be hard to tell what's on a sandwich without reading all the small type). Altogether, my meal—sandwich, potato chips, and medium soda—was just less than $10, and the sub was 8 inches long (instead of Subway's foot longs). The bread was soft and chewy: good. The roast beef also tasted a little better than what Subway uses. Disappointingly, the center of the sandwich was stuffed with too much shredded iceberg lettuce with the fillings wrapped around it.

From an aspie perspective, probably the worst was the radio blaring very loudly—louder than a lawn mower. I noticed that no one was dining in, and this was probably why (the loud music is apparently common to all of their franchises).

If you want a sandwich, go to Subway, Blimpy's, or your preferred sub shop; most likely Jimmy John's won't be your new favorite (unless money is no object, and you can get someone else to go in and get your order).

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 12:59 pm

There is a sub shop near my apartment called Erbert & Gerbert's that has really good sandwiches, though they are somewhat pricey compared to Subway and Blimpie (which are also good, but not as good a E&G's).

jman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 2:04 pm

I don't see the problem, I think the place and the food looks good. Maybe it's just me but I am having problems seeing how this is "aspie unfriendly"

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 2:39 pm

i like JJ's ...but i prefer Subway and Qizno's first

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 2:42 pm

Never heard of JJ's, but like the other two.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:29 pm

am do not know of any of the places mentioned here apart from subway,but subway isnt as 'autist friendly' as it sounds,
though am think this will not apply to all aspies and auties.
am have a few problems with subway-
information overload-the staff have a speed of speaking like are being interrogated,am very quickly and accutely information overloaded and subway is one of the worst for it,it sets am off in HB or MD every time.
am sign/show to own staff what am want [though they know it already,always make sure cause cheese always seems to end up on something] and they then tell the shop staff what it is,they also say nothing else,plain-but they in their interrogating way ask over and over if want cheese and all sorts of other things,then they get onto the whether want it warm/toasted or not at all bit,despite staff saying no-to warm or toasted,they still go to do it,then they start interrogating about buying a drink and crisps/other bits.
am rarely get a subway,unless it's an open planned place and am stand away from it with someone else whilst other staff get the subs.
the cues in subways are also a problem-the winding cues are made far too small so that all are forced together and there is no space,so others constantly brush skin.

Maybe sandwich shops should have drive throughs like the great krusty krab/krispy kreme,as it would mean being able to completely avoid the shop insides,though that would only help those in cars.
or-home delivery.

if are not stuck in a routine with JJs,try another place,dont support places that dont like.
have just thought....maybe they are breaking the disability laws [not sure what they're called in america] because it is denying or affecting access in a way,it works in the UK [the DDA].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2008, 3:58 pm

I'm with jman; I know the loud music can be a problem for many Aspies, but it seems like most places have it now so I'm not sure how that singles Jimmy John's out. And don't most sub places let you tell them what you want inside your sandwich other than the meat, so that if you don't like iceberg lettuce or any of the other garnishes, you could ask them to leave them off.

As far as eating in, it seems like most people get their stuff to go anyway in those places--the ones I've been in have very few seats anyway and usually people plan to take their sandwiches elsewhere.

Last edited by Norah_W on 27 Apr 2008, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2008, 4:06 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
am do not know of any of the places mentioned here apart from subway,but subway isnt as 'autist friendly' as it sounds,
though am think this will not apply to all aspies and auties.
am have a few problems with subway-
information overload-the staff have a speed of speaking like are being interrogated,am very quickly and accutely information overloaded and subway is one of the worst for it,it sets am off in HB or MD every time.
am sign/show to own staff what am want [though they know it already,always make sure cause cheese always seems to end up on something] and they then tell the shop staff what it is,they also say nothing else,plain-but they in their interrogating way ask over and over if want cheese and all sorts of other things,then they get onto the whether want it warm/toasted or not at all bit,despite staff saying no-to warm or toasted,they still go to do it,then they start interrogating about buying a drink and crisps/other bits.
am rarely get a subway,unless it's an open planned place and am stand away from it with someone else whilst other staff get the subs.
the cues in subways are also a problem-the winding cues are made far too small so that all are forced together and there is no space,so others constantly brush skin.

Maybe sandwich shops should have drive throughs like the great krusty krab/krispy kreme,as it would mean being able to completely avoid the shop insides,though that would only help those in cars.
or-home delivery.

if are not stuck in a routine with JJs,try another place,dont support places that dont like.
have just thought....maybe they are breaking the disability laws [not sure what they're called in america] because it is denying or affecting access in a way,it works in the UK [the DDA].

Are you sure this isn't just the Subways in your area? The ones I've been to aren't like that. Of course they have to ask what we want---the stuff it all set out, and we tell them which items we want. If you hate cheese, yeah you would have to say no cheese, but why is that a problem? A lot of places give you a lot less choices of what you can get or not get on your sandwich than sub shops. And in a drive through, seems to me you'd have even more problems getting what you want on your sandwich, which would set off any food allergies or sensory issues you might have. Home delivery same way. All they're doing is trying to find out what you want or don't want on your sandwich.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2008, 4:09 pm

I just realized there is a new Jimmy John's a block away from where I work, so guess where I'm going for lunch tomorrow. I'll report back if I remember to!

I love working in Pioneer Square in Seattle WA--we're near to just about everything that's available here.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2008, 12:26 am

OK, I went to the Jimmy John's near my job today. The music is loud, but since some Aspies might like loud music, I'd say that it's not friendly to someone who doesn't like 60's & 70's rock like Jimi Hendrix or Pat Metheny played at high decibels. (I actually like some of those songs so I was OK with it.) It's a little more expensive than Subway. You can tell them not to put certain stuff on your sandwich if you don't want--I don't like iceberg lettuce that much either so I asked them to leave it off.

I think it's really hard to say any establishment is or isn't Aspie-friendly because there are so many ways AS manifests itself, and what is very painful to someone might not bother someone else. (for instance in my case, if I get any hint at all that the person waiting on me thinks I or my choices are at all out of the ordinary or weird, that freaks me out, but loud music doesn't bother me and if I get something in a sandwich, say, that I don't like, I just take it out.)