Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

leakingneon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2015, 9:39 pm

Ok. A quick back story on myself. My name is Will. I'm 14 years old and I make music as a hobby (and maybe as a profession later. who knows) When I was 8 years old my parents got divorced and this screwed me up pretty badly. I couldn't cope with this at all and I couldn't even talk about it without breaking into tears until I was 11. During that time I went to a therapist who diagnosed me with ADD and Aspergers. I've already debunked the ADD thing as I have found there is a very thin line between being bored and having an "ADD moment". As for aspergers tho, the more common symptoms are not being able to read body language very well, or maybe even not developing certain skills until later on in life, or at an abnormal rate. I can agree that I had both of the symptoms I just listed. I mean, I couldn't tie my shoes until I was in fifth grade. FIFTH GRADE. But six years have passed since I have been diagnosed with aspergers, and all of the symptoms have pretty much disappeared. I have no problem gauging social situations, and I can tie my shoes as well as a few other types of knots that I'll never use, but its still cool to know. Another thing that I've seen on a list of symptoms is that many people w/ aspergers have a very narrow range of interests. Like with me. I'm super in to music production and recording technology (analog stuff mostly). But doesn't everyone have something they geek out over? What do these things mean? I know its impossible to grow out of aspergers, but I might have? Was I incorrectly diagnosed? Help!

GreenPandaLord
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Sep 2015, 10:21 pm

Everyone is different and as it is now known as a spectrum it has vqrying degrees of things that differ from person to person. Even the same person can vary greatly day to day. For example, some days I am so socially skilled that I can do amazing things. I have been told that my confidence in social situations is amazing. Some days I am stimming any chance I get, and am at a constant overstimulated state. When Im like this I become super socially inept and I wont talk for to people if I don't have to for weeks on end. The cause can be anything from burnout to who knows. The point Im getting at is that Your Aspergers is not my Aspergers. We are different. Different is good it's unique. You can take 1000 people with Aspergers in a room and no two will be the same by qny means. I would not worry too much. I too have gotten over most of the symptoms to the point where it is not clinically significant and thats ok. I don't think you were incorrectly diagnosed. You are you and thats ok. And I think that your situation and how you react to your situation helps build who you are. The only reason I was diagnosed was that the situation I was in called for it. I was depressed and I was having obsessive and suiciadal thoughts. AI was diagnosed so that the phychologist to know how to treat me. I'm good now. I'm still the same person. If was was never diagnosed I would still be me. Anyway I hope this helps and it not thats ok.