Are you a picky eater?
Yes 75%  75%  [ 42 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 56

Teoka
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2008, 4:20 pm

I am horrible when it comes to a variety in my diet. XD;; And I'm very reluctant to try new foods. It sucks, especially when I'm over at someone else's house for a meal and they're having something I don't like. It's so stressful trying to explain that I'm picky; I feel like I'm being annoying, trying to ask for something different to eat. But French fries are just too good to give up ;D

So, anyone else a picky eater? Discuss~

Aspie score: 159 out of 200

AlteredEgo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2008, 4:29 pm

I am certainly a picky eater.
Before I went vegan I would only eat really lean pieces of meat. If we would go out to eat I would usually order the same thing.
I usually steer towards really plain foods.
Before I went vegan I was pretty much a steak and potatoes girl.
My boyfriend hates it. He's always telling me to at least add variety to the same old dishes.
I guess that's another good thing for me about being vegan - I'm more allowed to be picky and choose what I want to eat and I'm forced to look into the health aspects of eating - something I never did before.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2008, 6:40 pm

Yes, and I don't like it; it embarrasses me to dislike so many foods. Not to mention, it's inconvenient. I'm willing to try new foods; it's just that I end up not liking a lot of them.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:01 pm

I wouldn't say that I'm a very picky eater. I just don't like eating foods that other people cooked. I'm always paranoid that there will be hair or something in the food.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:10 pm

I'm a very picky eater. Here's the only way I'll eat chicken nuggets or chicken strips:

McDonalds- only with BBQ sauce (but their Chicken Selects are only with ranch)
Burger King- only with honey
Wendy's- with ranch or honey
Arby's- only with ranch
Dairy Queen- with ranch or gravy
Church's- only with gravy
Kentucky Fried Chicken- only with gravy
Rally's- only with ranch
Any sit-down restaurant- only with ranch

See what I mean?

Last edited by Lightning88 on 16 Apr 2008, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2008, 9:12 pm

I never progressed past the diet of a 4 year old. Mac n cheese, chicken fingers, spaghetti, cheeseburger, pancakes, etc. And I only like certain brands of the various things I eat. Now that I know that I'm not just a "picky eater" (its hard to keep saying that in your mid-twenties) I tell people that I have a lot of sensory issues, because that's what I now know that it is! I say, "for example, I am bothered by sounds, smells, tastes, etc, that other people either don't perceive, or find neutral or even pleasant." This kind of explains to them that is is a biological repulsion and not an immature habit that causes me to reject most foods. Sometimes I take my own food or eat ahead of time when i'm not sure I'll like the food at a certain event. Often people are interested in my sensory issues and will ask me to explain more. Sometimes they say "oh I'm the same way with some things" (something NT's say to try to relate to their conversation partner) and I'm thinking, "you don't even know the half of it!"

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2008, 9:36 pm

Teoka wrote:
I am horrible when it comes to a variety in my diet. XD;; And I'm very reluctant to try new foods. It sucks, especially when I'm over at someone else's house for a meal and they're having something I don't like. It's so stressful trying to explain that I'm picky; I feel like I'm being annoying, trying to ask for something different to eat. But French fries are just too good to give up ;D

So, anyone else a picky eater? Discuss~

YESSSS, I am trying to get out of my "fast food junkie" diet. I get basically the same crap all the time and even though I am on a new healither diet it still eat the same healthy dishes. I feel bad when I am eating over at someonelses house and they're eating what I do not like. I pretend I am not hungry so I will not be rude.

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2008, 9:37 pm

ooohprettycolors wrote:
I never progressed past the diet of a 4 year old. Mac n cheese, chicken fingers, spaghetti, cheeseburger, pancakes, etc. And I only like certain brands of the various things I eat. Now that I know that I'm not just a "picky eater" (its hard to keep saying that in your mid-twenties) I tell people that I have a lot of sensory issues, because that's what I now know that it is! I say, "for example, I am bothered by sounds, smells, tastes, etc, that other people either don't perceive, or find neutral or even pleasant." This kind of explains to them that is is a biological repulsion and not an immature habit that causes me to reject most foods. Sometimes I take my own food or eat ahead of time when i'm not sure I'll like the food at a certain event. Often people are interested in my sensory issues and will ask me to explain more. Sometimes they say "oh I'm the same way with some things" (something NT's say to try to relate to their conversation partner) and I'm thinking, "you don't even know the half of it!"

Yeahhh, everyone tells me lettuce has no flavour but I can taste it! I hate the stuff!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:46 pm

I'm not picky as far as eating goes. There are a few foods I absolutely will not even touch, but other than that, I enjoy anything and everything.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Apr 2008, 9:48 pm

I'm an EXTREMELY picky eater. I have a lot of food allergies plus get migraines from a lot of foods. I also just don't like a lot of things. My husband always says that I won't eat things that don't look right. I don't know what that means.

I don't dip. I don't do dairy products. I don't do condiments on sandwiches except for mustard and pickle on burgers. I especially don't do mayonnaise. Blech! I don't do what is affectionately called "faggy salad sandwiches", you know chicken salad, tuna salad, ham salad (the connecting factor being mayo). I'm not a huge fan of sauces. I'm not too in to salad dressings outside of italian or french.

I usually just tell people that I have a lot of food allergies, and that tends to help in not looking so weird because I'm so picky. I recently had to have my gall bladder removed, so I've had to change my diet. The bad thing is that a lot of my diet was fried foods and "junk food" type foods. So, 90% of my diet is now gone. Very difficult. I have to think about food in a way that is not comfortable for me. I hate having to pay so much attention to everything that goes into my mouth. It's a bummer.

The good news is that maybe I will start eating better and losing some weight. I already have noticed that I'm feeling better. Cutting out the junk food stuff. So, maybe my health will improve.

musicara
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2008, 10:03 pm

Yeah, I hate soo many foods. I think I could live off of berries and good bread, though, a bunch of breads, mostly sliced ones, I can't stand. I dislike most meats, a lot of vegetables, but not carrots, plain lettuce (if it is good), broccoli, corn, potatoes, and other things... My mom always complains about it....

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 10:13 pm

Yeah, I'm a fairly picky eater.
I blame it mostly on a very high taste sensitivity and sensitive stomach.
I'm probably most picky about meats and certain veggies. Certain veggies I just cannot stand and will pick them out of my food. If I eat them, I'll gag.
Meats... I cannot stand eating any fatty parts and always carefully cut such off meat. This annoys the heck out of other people. Fatty bits are like a wad of snot in my mouth. Totally disgusting. But I like meat, so it's not like I can give it up.

I used to be really bad about eating, but I have gotten somewhat better with pickiness over time.
I think what really helped me was learning to cook for myself. This way I knew what every bit was and tasted like and could then mix things together without my pickiness taking over.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 10:27 pm

I don't like fat or gristle in beef, which is weird since I love the crispy fat on beef and pork roasts and at on bbq Chinese duck

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 10:29 pm

Poeticromance wrote:
ooohprettycolors wrote:

Yeahhh, everyone tells me lettuce has no flavour but I can taste it! I hate the stuff!

that bagged lettuce smells rotten to me, bagged greens all smell the same

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 8:42 am

I was as a child, but not now. I eat well and eat a good variety of food. I need to lose some weight. I think I have put on close to 20 pounds in the last couple of years.

tksteph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2008, 9:35 am

yeah... i'm pretty picky.
I won't eat anything if i can't identify whats actually in it and I hate food made up of things with different textures (potato salad for example), and pickles and mayo are also foods i eat under no circumstance.

I've also eaten the exact same breakfast for 5 years (chocolate poptarts :P) and usually peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. But it's really not that hard to find food because I just like plain easy-to-cook things (rice, ramen, cheese pizza, mac and cheese).

I still think I'm pretty healthy, i eat fruits for snacks alot. And carbs give me energy anyhow, so It's all good.