Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2008, 9:35 am

Craig Nicholls from the Vines

I have a feeling "Outtathaway" sounds like it could be about being an aspie, heres the lyrics.

I get
What I own
Don't let
The feelings that I choose
'Cause everybody else do

Gotta get outtathaway!
No time for me to stay
Everyone in the world dont affect you

We think
You're a lot different
Your number ain't your thing
Your life is on the wrong end

Gotta get outtathaway!
No time for me to stay
Everyone in the world dont affect you

C'mon
C'mon
C'mon

Gotta get outtathaway!
No time for me to stay
When I speak out of line
I don't believe in time

heres the film clip......

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqDxGe-_ ... re=related

and here is craig making a burnout and sensory overload an artistic event!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

best performance EVER!! !! !! !! !! !! !!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xBKm966ACdQ

Its so funny, every non aspie in the universe thinks this guy is just stoned the whole time, but its just his eyes not making contact!! !! ! I recon he has the greatest rock moves in the world, thats some serious stimming man!! !! (hehe joking!)

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2008, 1:08 pm

It seriously does look like a meltdown. Especially the way he rubs his mike on his mouth and rubs his head across the floor. My son used to do that. Wow! I wanted to have a sympathy meltdown when it was over!

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2008, 4:27 pm

He hit the mic enough times with his face/chin to cause the wing-nuts/adjusters to become loose.. the looser they got, the more the mic seemed to fall... He wasn't able to sing his lyrics and play guitar and simultaneously keep trying to adjust it during the live performance.. I can only imagine how nerve-wracking that would be on a national tv show... too... It's irritating enough when there's mic/stand problems..

It's not the usual concert-going crowd either and there was no warm-up songs like in a regular concert.. Maybe all that stress started to really get to him, especially with the mic stand not holding the mic right.. that was it....he probably figured what the hell === everything is destroyed with this performance, why not really wreck it.. and smash the guitar for total effect at that point into all of the drums??? Seems like he's done that before, and some people really like that too.. so.. what the hell...

It's bad for the other players though, if they aren't expecting something like that to happen!.. especially the drummer!! but I can see where all the stress he was under would build up into a meltdown like that.. Also, other than in the very beginning, I didn't understand much of his lyrics.. At one point, he seemed to be just yelling.. maybe he actually forgot the lyrics at that point??

I also think he was probably a little drunk, possibly high on top of it... maybe someone thought a little weed or a drink would "take the edge off" of the nervousness before the show... Pot can have a paradoxical? effect on someone with ADHD though (he has that also).. Instead of relaxing someone, it can lead to a more confused state and result in more anxiety...

Edit: then again, maybe it is all "part of the act"?? what he's expected to do?

Last edited by Felinity on 17 Apr 2008, 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 4:42 pm

Felinity wrote:

It's bad for the other players though, if they aren't expecting something like that to happen!.. especially the drummer!!

No, they were ready for it.

Quote:
Also, I didn't hardly understand a word of his lyrics either.. at one point, he seemed to be just yelling.. maybe he actually forgot the lyrics at that point??

No, he didn't forget any lyrics. That's how Craig sounds on the albums too.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2008, 5:08 pm

Well, I guess if the other musicians are ready for it, and it's kindof a regular part of the "act" then it's o.k. It just looked for a moment like the drummer was really fed up.. maybe I misinterpreted that..

It did have alot of energy, I'll say that! It just bothered me about the mic stand not working and the total smashing of the drums... but I imagine alot of the people in the audience were ha... stunned to say the least.. It got them alot more publicity.. (some say no publicity is bad publicity). Quite a "spectacle" anyway..

hope he's o.k. -- don't know what that band has been up to lately..

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 7:43 pm

Felinity wrote:

hope he's o.k. -- don't know what that band has been up to lately..

They recently played shows in LA, NY and the South By Southwest Festival in Austin, TX. Premiered their next single during those three shows. They also have a new album coming out this year.

Though I read your post again, and I see what you meant. That performance was from 2002, long before Craig knew he had AS. So they could've been shocked at it then. But now that they know, it's not so shocking anymore.

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2008, 10:58 pm

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=seiuJgwOPcU

Hey Beau99, Just found this interview of Craig at the SWSX Festival you mentioned :) He says they are looking for a record deal in the U.S. and wants to do more shows in U.S., England, etc..

I wonder if interviews are easier when he wears sunglasses? Eye contact wouldn't really be an issue then.. I've thought about wearing sunglasses more myself.. He may have just had them on because the sun was really bright and it was a really hot afternoon though..

Toward the end of the interview, he calls himself "ret*d" but in a self-accepting kindof way I think.. and goes on to say, "My songs are my expression so, hopefully I have a little intelligence there"

JakeWilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2008, 12:29 am

Maybe Craig coils over at the end and grobbles on the ground because of that high-pitched noise at the end of the clip!

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:06 am

i thing someone in children of bodoms band migth be aspie since they do whicle around sometimes during gig :lol:

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2008, 1:43 am

just so people don't get freaked out

While craig might be "Out of Control" there.... its all part of what he does, like part of there art and stuff.

It looks like he looses his cool on a national tv show, and he probably does, but thats part of their mass appeal!

anyway

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2008, 1:50 am

i don't think the band woulda been to freaked out,

they woulda know what they were buying into.... like a musical genius with a tendency to go ape on stage a la Kurt Cobain or at the drive in or something

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:52 am

Felinity wrote:
I wonder if interviews are easier when he wears sunglasses? Eye contact wouldn't really be an issue then.. I've thought about wearing sunglasses more myself.. He may have just had them on because the sun was really bright and it was a really hot afternoon though..

Could've been a bit of both.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:58 pm

I've always felt that out of any rock star, I could relate to Peter Gabriel the most...I kind of wonder if he doesn't have it or something similar. Early in his career (until the mid 80s), he hid his face with makeup and masks, and played different roles on stage, according to the song. He stopped doing that sometime around '86, when he released SO, which from what I've read was his breakout album, after lots of therapy, and he finally let go of all the artistry and allowed his music to become more commercial. Like me, he takes a very long time to write his music, and most of his lyrics are (or at least used to be) taken from outside sources (the Bible, his dreams, mythology). Some of his more personal lyrics are very introspective, and some of them hit me deeper than any other lyricist (barring perhaps Maynard James Keenan). Just a few examples:

Flotsam & Jetsam, from his second solo album:

Quote:
Doing nothing, stuck in the mud, just pumping the blood.
The water level's getting low, something ugly's going to show.

If only I could touch you, I guess you'd be alarmed.
If only I could touch you, I don't mean you no harm.

If only I could touch you, like the wind can touch the sail,
If only I could touch you, darling, now that words have failed.
Oh, flotsam still afloat,
Oh, jetsam thrown out of the boat.

Oh love, my love, nothing here is what it seems.
We both know it; Christ, you show it...
Oh, oh my love.

Fortunately, not one I can relate to as readily today ;)

Secondly, a snippet of one of my favorites, I Have the Touch, originally from Security (but I really dig the remixes, too):

Quote:
Pull my chin, stroke my hair, scratch my nose, hug my knees
Try drink, food, cigarette, tension will not ease
I tap my fingers, fold my arms, breathe in deep, cross my legs
Shrug my shoulders, stretch my back - but nothing seems to please

The rest of the song somewhat contradicts my theory, but maybe it's just part of a therapy for him, or it's not autobiographical...or maybe I'm just completely wrong about the whole thing ;)