Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 9:36 am

good vid

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2008, 9:38 am

Wow! Good for him!

Although it might mislead people to think that Asperger's is sort of like schizophrenia...

Nonetheless....

Wow :cheers:

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2008, 9:47 am

That's a great explanation! Everyone should see that especially when they ask me the stupid question, "well, you seem normal most of the time, what do you mean?"

Compiku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2008, 11:45 am

That was a great vid! I especially like how he explains the "childlike behaviors" thing, and then spins around in his chair. I'm notorious for spinning chairs around, but no one quite understands why.

curtsdad
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2008, 12:34 pm

Thanks for posting that. My son was just diagnosed this week and it was like looking inside his head.

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2008, 5:36 pm

Hopefully this will give the NTs some insight.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 5:53 pm

I saw this video posted on another forum (not an AS forum) and it was, apparently, highly amusing.

I don't think the half-autistic and half-normal analogy is very good but he generally explains it very well. Pity nobody wants to listen.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2008, 6:13 pm

It explained how it was for him, and called that Aspergers. But plenty of what he said doesn't apply to me. He failed to mention how much "symptoms" can vary, maybe because the more complicated his explanantion is, the harder people will find it to undertsand and believe.
I feel or experience things that any NT would tell me can't be felt or experienced because they haven't or are unable to feel it or experience it.
The other day I told my brother that I was angry but I didn't have a reason. He said that there's always a reason, and I said not for me, and he didn't believe me. I told him that if people know the reason that they're angry, then they can choose whether or not they're angry, and they choose anger. He actually agreed with that, but why would someone want to be angry? If I had a choice, I'd never get angry!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:39 pm

Wow... impressive. thanks for the link.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 8:13 pm

I agree with Viola, but it is still pretty nice. As for the cartoon thing, etc.... Interestingly, as a kid I NEVER watched them alone. And his talk about acting like a kid got me to wondering. I have ALWAYS tried to act a little childlike. Nothing really off the wall, but I take some things just a bit less seriously. I have to wonder what the average person thinks about it.

One more thing. He spoke about how books are bad. Well, they have really never been bad for me. He spoke of how TV is good. It is more experience than anything. TV is a good substitute, but NOT the only way. His explanation was simplistic and misleading.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 8:40 pm

My son watched it with me. He smiled widely when the boy spoke of sponge bob and visual learning--it makes perfect sense. I think my son is exactly like this. He learns an enormous amount of information from visuals --moreso than from reading. I hope he becomes an avid reader though!

I liked his analogies--they were great! I think my son is half in denial. I don't push it. But, he is stuck on the special needs and so it's important for him to understand himself and feel okay about it.

He said he wasn't special needs because he uses a regular bathroom. Then he explained how he has trouble listening and this is why he needs support.

I do think the video was very helpful--but my son won't admit it.

He talked, shortly after, about the boy and how he will probably have to live at home because of his special needs and I explained that with supports he will go onto college. I think he worries for himself, that he won't be able to make it on his own when he's older. Kind of young to be worried about that-but, I do think he considers it (he's 8).

Interesting how my son never asked about autism.

thx!! ! Timing was perfect.

equinn

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 9:18 pm

equinn wrote:
My son watched it with me. He smiled widely when the boy spoke of sponge bob and visual learning--it makes perfect sense. I think my son is exactly like this. He learns an enormous amount of information from visuals --moreso than from reading. I hope he becomes an avid reader though!

I liked his analogies--they were great! I think my son is half in denial. I don't push it. But, he is stuck on the special needs and so it's important for him to understand himself and feel okay about it.

He said he wasn't special needs because he uses a regular bathroom. Then he explained how he has trouble listening and this is why he needs support.

I do think the video was very helpful--but my son won't admit it.

He talked, shortly after, about the boy and how he will probably have to live at home because of his special needs and I explained that with supports he will go onto college. I think he worries for himself, that he won't be able to make it on his own when he's older. Kind of young to be worried about that-but, I do think he considers it (he's 8).

Interesting how my son never asked about autism.

thx!! ! Timing was perfect.

equinn

Interesting! Maybe you saw the video and figured he said he was like a half full glass of milk. *I* saw the video, and figured he said he was like a FULL glass of half and half(For foreigners, half and half is an American(or is it English) way of refering to a product that is half milk and half cream)

Wikipedia says:

Quote:
In the United States, half and half is a very light cream typically used in coffee. Its butterfat content is about 12.5%,[1] which makes it lower-calorie and more stable in coffee. It is widely available in the United States, both in individual-serving containers and in bulk. It is also used to make ice cream. The same product is known as half cream in the United Kingdom.

SO, like AS, half and half is not really EITHER! LIKE AS, it isn't really that great for EITHER purpose! BUT, LIKE AS, it has its benefits!

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 9:25 pm

I don't understand the previous post. Are you being sarcastic? Or, are you agreeing with the video? Confused. What does half-n-half half to do with it?

Hmmmm.

Too late for me to try to sort it all out.

equinn

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 9:26 pm

(he's .

That's weird--I typed he's 8 and a smiley face replaced it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 9:36 pm

equinn wrote:
I don't understand the previous post. Are you being sarcastic? Or, are you agreeing with the video? Confused. What does half-n-half half to do with it?

Hmmmm.

Too late for me to try to sort it all out.

equinn

You spoke like it said he was really disabled, etc... I am just saying it isn't like he is half the person, but like 2 different halfs. As for the 8 ? 8 ) comes up as 8) (without the space) It is just the way the emoticon codes are.