Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 4:47 pm

My doctor is considering me taking Concerta. I have done research on it and I think it will help. Is anyone here familiar with it or has taken it before?

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 5:05 pm

I take Concerta and and it helps me multi-task.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 5:05 pm

That's the ADD drug right? Well here's an easy way to tell. If a lot of caffine (like a vivran or something) has a beneficial effect on you, then yes, it would probably help. If not, then it probably won't .
I've taken a couple ADD drugs, but not that one. I find plain old caffine to be just as good, and way cheaper. But then, I have no health insurance.

PinkieOfDoom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2008, 5:27 pm

It definitely helps. You could drink caffeine, but it doesn't necessarily help you focus, it just calms you down. A side effect, but concerta also curbs your appetite. Not like ritalin, which for me killed it. And like all drugs, you have to get used to it, but it's not bad. When you first start taking it, depending on when you take it, it might keep you up at night, but that's just when you start taking it.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2008, 5:55 pm

Concerta helped my son's ADD issues, but did not help the AS tics. He stopped the Concerta and started Risperdol, that helps with all the issues much better.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2008, 7:04 pm

OK.
Concerta -- Get it.
My 8yr-old sons (dxd ADHD, & Asperger's) is on it & it is excellent.
It's helped with ADHD & Asperger's. He stims a lot less.
Look at it this way, before he was on the Concerta his teacher used to have to 're-direct' him 75-100 times/day , now not so much (probably less than a dozen)

You have to be careful about the dosing, though. My son's experience: he started at 10 mlg, then 18mlg, then 27mlg & things were real good.
We tried boosting it to 36mlg, but that was a mistake. He couldn't control his emotions.

But I have to tell you a great story about the first afternoon he was on Concerta.
I brought him to soccer practice -- this is a kid that would've rather hung out & rapped with the moms on the sidelines while everyone else was on the field, right?
That first night on Concerta -- he's out there running after balls, shootin' around, gettin' pumped up on scores. AMAZING!

We're walking off the field after pratice, & ya know what he said to me?

THAT WAS AWESOME DAD, THANKS!

So, if I was you -- go get some Concerta.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2008, 7:06 pm

I've been taking concerta since before I knew I had Aspergers I was originally diagnosed with ADD even though some of my symptoms weren't explain by ADD all we knew at the time was that Concerta kept me calmer and I was more likely to have a meltdown after it wore off or when I had forgotten to take it. I still take it now along with an anti-depresent which dampens whatever anxiety the concerta doesn't touch. Out of everything I take concerta is the one thing that I notice when I haven't taken it or it has worn off. The Concerta helps to get rid of "toxic" energy that can lead to uncontrolable anxiety... I can't say it's the miracle cure becuase I would have never been diagnosed with Aspergers if Concerta solved all my problems... but I can say it helps a lot. One odd side affect is that it can supress your appetite... you don't notice it as much when you are on it but if you stop taking it for a day or two you notice that you have an urge to snack all day long.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:31 pm

Liverbird wrote:
Concerta helped my son's ADD issues, but did not help the AS tics. He stopped the Concerta and started Risperdol, that helps with all the issues much better.

I'd reconsider giving him Risperdal unless all other options have completely ruled out, it's an anti-psychotic and like most anti-psychotics it can have nasty long-tern side effects.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 8:47 pm

I take ritalin, it really dpends on who you are and what works for you. If you are taking multiple medications though you might want to check first to make sure.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2008, 9:05 pm

matsuiny2004 wrote:
I take ritalin, it really dpends on who you are and what works for you. If you are taking multiple medications though you might want to check first to make sure.

Concerta is basically extended release ritalin. I help a prescription for ritalin too so I can boost my concerta if needed or take it in the evening after my concerta wears off if I still have homework or something else going on.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?