Sigh, I wonder what it's like to be "cured"

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2008, 7:14 pm

After a few days of analysis, after realizing how alone I was. I haven't had a boyfriend for three years. I have no one to take to the prom next month. I'm always the person that no one listens to. I'm always the one doing things that people would find odd. I'm always into weird stuff. I'm sort of sick of it.

All signs point to Aspergers, it annoys me. I wondered what it's like to be cured. To make me normal and be happy. All I care about is achieving happiness, cure or no cure.

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2008, 7:16 pm

I don't know about a cure, but happiness is very much possible. I think that's much more important and more worth pursuing than a mythical cure.

There are plenty of miserable normal people out there afterall.

twallcx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2008, 7:32 pm

i know how you feel. i never went to the prom, i was miserable in high school. but eventually, i *did* achieve a level of happiness

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2008, 8:24 pm

A huge percent of NT's are miserable. Don't for a second think that being NT would be any kind of a permanent solution to anything. Humans have a real knack for finding everything that they don't have and all of the things that are going wrong (or could go wrong) in their lives and focusing on it. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I have wanted to change about myself over the years, but I know that if those problems were solved, I would undoubtedly have a different set. Just try to focus on the things you like about yourself and your life, and set some goals to change the things that you don't.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:04 pm

You know, one of the strengths that AS can give you is those very unusual interests and obsessions. So a lot of us are only really good at one or two things - find a way to make being an expert in those subjects a career.

I know this won't make you feel any better, but if I could go back in time and attend my prom - I still wouldn't go. I can't honestly imagine anyone on the spectrum pining for an opportunity to attend a large public gathering and spend an evening socializing with a judgemental peer group. Eeeeewww. Can't I just stay home and let you shove bamboo splinters under my fingernails?

In any case, keep in mind that having someone to go with, would only present you with a whole new set of problems. How to cope with your own depression and make someone else happy at the same time.

Anytime you think going to a prom sounds like a better place to be, reread Carrie.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:18 pm

don't know if you can be cured, per se, but you can learn to adjust. It's hard work, but it can be done. It seems an eternal thing about the prom, I worried about mine until I met someone to take...and that was ...uh...30 years ago...;)

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:39 pm

I offered you the cure a few weeks ago, and is still there if you ever want it.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:48 pm

I don't think there is a cure.

I've never had a girlfriend, and I won't be attending prom.

Think about yourself at a younger age. Think about neurotypical rules you have learned over time. You can keep progressing. You could say you've "cured" yourself of many of the drawbacks of AS by learning to deal with them. Just keep growing. You've been in a relationship before, that's a lot further than I ever got. AS can be hard, but you overcome it.
And I should share a secret with you that I learned recently. High school sucks for NTs too.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:53 pm

I would think being cured would be alot like listening to Enya and not being able to change the channel

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

22 Apr 2008, 9:54 pm

fernando wrote:
I offered you the cure a few weeks ago, and is still there if you ever want it.

I thought this was a hypothetical cure, since no real one exists. If I'm wrong then please tell me what this so-called cure is.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 10:22 pm

Read this book?
Asperger's and Self-Esteem: Insight and Hope through Famous Role Models

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2008, 10:28 pm

On a tangent. Is going to prom considered a really big deal for NTs? I get that impression, but I don't understand it.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

22 Apr 2008, 10:38 pm

I think it is. I went my junior year, and my mom made a huge fuss and took lots of pictures. He turned out to be a freak, who talked about eating the little flower on his tux and could barely even put on a tux. We hardly danced at all. We just sat around there for about thirty minutes, ate cake, and talked to a few people. I dumped him after that. I'm not really sure what the deal is either, since prom does not affect the rest of your life like marriage does.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:53 pm

everyone in life has stuff theyhave to deal with, its how you do that matters...as for a cure, you are the only one capable of helping yourself because to alot of aspies we need no cure.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2008, 6:22 am

I'm worried aboput what would happen if I'm 28. Would I ever get a good job? Would I ever get married or live in a decent house? Would I be capable of paying my own bills?

I heard AS people are easier targets for scams, especially used car scams. They are 6 more likely to be robbed, traumatized or sexually or physically assaulted. They won't realize that until months later and it would be too late to call the police.

I'm sorry, I sound like those parents on Autism Speaks.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:56 am

Sometimes I wonder that myself. What it'll be like to be "normal".