Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 2:53 pm

that's okay; I like them. :D is that last one Link?

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 3:18 pm

I smile all the time no matter what my mood is. Even when I am suicidal and depressed I smile and laugh. It is so bad that people think everything's great with me when it isn't true. I can never show a sad face even if my life depended on it. Always smiling.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 3:20 pm

I usually don't smile or frown. but people have learned to guess my moods fairly accurately. :D

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:33 pm

I always get the urge to laugh whenever I see a child getting punished. It happens when my nieces and nephews get in trouble, and it happened many years ago when my younger brother would get in trouble. I don't think it's funny, I just get this inexplicable urge to laugh.

Also, I'd get the urge to laugh whenever my school made us have a moment of silence in memory of a tragedy. Again, it's not funny to me, but I still want to laugh. It's like a reflex or something.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2008, 5:33 pm

Some aspies don't smile much or display many emotions at all. Others smile a whole lot. It's hard to generalize there. Most aspies do, however, have some problems with expressing their emotions appropriately.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:41 pm

I laugh or smile when I'm nervous or in an uncomfortable situation. I also laugh at serious things that I really don't think are funny. I get nervous at church and laugh and I almost went into hysterical laughter at a relitives funeral.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2008, 6:18 pm

Horribly enough I tend to laugh when I'm in trouble or getting yelled at. I have to bite my lip to keep from getting in more trouble. I wsih I could stop myself from doing that.

moose65536
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2008, 7:06 pm

Specter wrote:
well, it doesn't seem like a NT would confuse emotions like that, so it may be an AS thing. I dunno, to be honest. I don't do it; I tend to get very very quiet when I get nervous. :S but then, we all deal with stress in different ways :D

Actually, confusing responses to emotions is very common with everyone. There was a psychological experiment done in the 50's where people had to knowingly give electric shocks to someone with a heart condition. When some people heard the person yelling in pain from the shocks he was supposedly getting, some laughed. It's ironic that in the psychology class I was watching the movie, a good number of people laughed too. I think it's sort of a nervous reaction rather than actually thinking it's funny.

spindriftdancer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2008, 7:09 pm

I thought I was the only person who ever did that... wow.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 7:23 pm

Ryn wrote:
Horribly enough I tend to laugh when I'm in trouble or getting yelled at. I have to bite my lip to keep from getting in more trouble. I wsih I could stop myself from doing that.

I do that too. It just makes the person angrier.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 7:47 pm

I have a lop-sided smile :P you can KIND of see it in my picture. I only smile on my left side. Some people think it's cute, but other people say it's a sarcastic smirk *shrugs*

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2008, 11:36 pm

Beckula wrote:
When I am nervous or anxious, I laugh and smile a LOT, and I also do it in situations I shouldn't. I've read that with Aspergers you don't show a lot of emotion....so what does that mean? I just want to know if anyone on here has this same thing...or if I am just the only one who nervously smiles and laughs for no reason...

I do that too, especially when I'm nervous or anxious. I get this wierd mouth thing of "smiling" or "smirking" that makes NTs really pissed off about my reaction. So yes, I'm totally with you. I think the "don't show emotions" is a lot of NT BS.

cdc2001c
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2008, 12:18 am

I dont know what facial expression to use at any given time, I have a hard time with sarcasm, I dont know if people are trying to be funny or just cruel. Most of the time I have this totally serious face, and I am very insecure when it comes to smiling because i will do it at the wrong time, or maybe to a degree that is unappropriate, Im always afraid of giving people evil smiles, dont know if that makes sense.

Feel free to pm me on the topic or post here

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:00 pm

people have always told me I show no emotion. I laugh a lot and giggle for no reason especially when I am nervous,