How many of you are currently on antidepressants ?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DukeGallison
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2008, 5:18 pm

I took them, but they didn't have much effect on me, and I suspected my doctor was a quack since he didn't officially diagnose me with anything, and I stopped too since my parents seemed to love the medicine more than me.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 5:37 pm

Nah, I'm not on any antidepressants. I usually feel depressed for about 7 days in 20 but I have heard nothing but horror stories about antidepressants. I don't see how they'd help anyway - being depressed is not the biggest issue that I face in day to day life.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 5:49 pm

yeah, but I feel like burning them at the moment, i'm doing trial and error on medication. Will one kind ever work? This crippling anxiety won't go the f**k away, i'll end up punching a hole through my head soon :evil:

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Apr 2008, 5:53 pm

There is only "one of me" and it is not on anti depressants. :D

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 6:53 pm

i am but most of the writing on the bottle sticker is faded its cipr something

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2008, 7:54 pm

Im on something called cipramil.

Stealth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2008, 9:10 pm

200 mgs of zoloft.
I tried abilify and zyprexa for sleep and it doesn't do anything. the shrink is switching me to something else. my anxiety is lame. the meds seem to be working I don't get depressed as much as I use to.

SunChild1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 9:35 pm

I am on 100mg of Zoloft a day. It works for me.

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2008, 9:59 pm

I notice I have less meltdowns on them, or at least if I meltdown I don't have as many of the violent I want to hurt myself kind...

Currently I'm on Welbutrin (Bupropion SR) 150 mg 1x a day.

I'm not sure if I like it, but I guess it is better than nothing? Or something else?

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm

I take 100mg of Zoloft for severe depression and I take 160mg of Geodon for my imaginary "schizoaffective" disorder. I don't agree with the schizoaffective diagnosis because I know all! Also I was on 9mg of Invega which is an anti psychotic as well but I had bad side effects which are too embarrassing to say! I hardly ever hear voices but the doctors think I have had delusions. Some of them were bizarre delusions and that means that symptom alone can make you have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia. The difference between them is that schizoaffective disorder you also have either bipolar disorder or depression on top of the schizophrenia symptoms. There are times where I get pretty confused as well and that is part of it but I am perfectly sane now. Being insane is one of my talents!

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 10:39 pm

I take 20mg of Paxil per day. It pretty much stopped my panic attacks and has reduced my OCD symptoms and my number of meltdowns.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 10:48 pm

I take Paxil (Paroxetine) and I am a card-carrying member of people who believe in the power of antidepressants. It has helped me greatly.

I come from a family with chronic depression. I'm OCD with severe depression.

Paxil helps. A LOT.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2008, 10:56 pm

I tend to get a little bit bossy in SSRI conversations, so apologies ahead of time. I don't think most people (even doctors) have an acceptable understanding of how they work or what all of the possible risks are, and that for most cases the benefits are temporary at best.

That's good that you havn't had any problems so far, but 10mg is a very low dose and if you intend to stay on it for very long, I can almost assure you it will have to go up eventually. If you know how meth works, SSRIs are actually very similar, granted they are slightly more benign, have a higher toxic dose and take many more years for tolerance than meth. All I can recomend is for you to do a little research before commiting to something you may very well become dependent on over the years, especially since you seem to think you don't really need them. If you don't need them, don't mess with them just for an extra boost. That won't last. Your serotonin levels shouldn't be messed with if they are already normal. A favorable imbalance may make you feel good, just like you would with extra dope in synapsis, but neuro receptors are not supposed to be over stimulated if nothing is wrong with their sensitivity. That eventually slows down your own natural serotin production since you already have serotonin forced to stay in the synaptic gap for longer periods. You've plugged up the sink, so the faucet only needs to trickle. Doesn't seem like a problem until you decide to go off the stuff after so many years or until you begin to tolerate it's effects. Alot of people think that their reaction to quitting is just further proof of their need to be on it. But really, they're just not giving their brain the time it needs to stabilize.

Either way it's your decision, they're not illegal after all. Just be careful, they're not a multi-vitamin. Personally I won't take Paxil again for as long as I live.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 1:23 am

Yeah, Zoloft for anxiety disorders [caused by autistic disorder], 200mg a day (for a couple of years now); it seems to work (it doesn't remove it, not even tranquilizers remove all of my anxiety), but only at a dose of 200. At 150, much of my anxiety comes back, and it didn't work when I was on 150 for a few months.

It helps with my [autistic] obsessions too, so that's cool.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 6:02 am

No. I tried an SSRI years ago and lasted maybe 10 days, at most. They did nothing for the depression, turned my brain to mush, and gave me a dozen physical symptoms. Not my idea of a cure. I'd have to be pretty bad to try them again.