I just got diagnosed yesterday...Now Whatt?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sofia108
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2008, 12:33 pm

Ok so I finally got labelled by a medical professional yesterday!

Yeah...I was frantically seeking medical advice but somehow not all that satisfied. But now that the psychiatrist has confirmed that I have AS(he also suspects atypical depression), now what??

Is my diagnosis only supposed to be a confirmation of the truth that I got mirrored with a few weeks back? I dont even know if i have come to terms with it....DAMN!! I dont know how much this diagnosis means to me!I hate it when everything is this unclear and it always is!
Whatever it is, I cant figure out what are the implications of getting diagnosed with AS...like literally how seriously am i supposed to take it??I dont want to be repeating my idiotic insensitive behaviour to stuff that demands attention...but sometimes i just feel I maybe alright you know, i dont feel so depressed, i've still am not that crazy...

But this is what I think I'm going to do - consult another pysician, although Im pretty sure i fit the criteria, I need more explanations. My psyciatrist suggested antidepressants in the beginning and another session to discuss more about my condition. But I think I just made his job easier by suggesting AS myself.

Anywho, this is something I generically am curious about and something that triggers that unconvincing thread..how much can the psychiatrist know about me in an hour's time; is a book and a little bit of opening up all he needs to confirm such complexities?

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 1:03 pm

sofia108 wrote:
how much can the psychiatrist know about me in an hour's time; is a book and a little bit of opening up all he needs to confirm such complexities?

When sitting before any psychiatrist, they can read many of the non verbal language cues your body is conveying to them.

schoolpsycherin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2008, 2:06 pm

If it would put you at rest, consult another physician. There is nothing wrong with a second opinion, especially if it is something that means so much to you....

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2008, 2:48 pm

What it means...

That all depends. Were you ever hard on yourself because you didn't have many or any friends? Did you ever belittle yourself because you just didn't get it? Have you never been able to maintain a friendship?

Has anyone ever told you:
It's all in your head.
You can if you just try harder.
You are capable of much more.
You are selfish.

Any sensitivities to food, light, sound or texture that bugged you, and no one else?

There are SO many reasons to get that diagnosis. Now you know why. Now you should accept yourself, and not belittle or berate yourself...and definately NOT let anyone else do it either.

You can reorient your life. You can make your home more sensory friendly, and understand there are situations that you just don't need to put yourself in because as someone with AS, it isn't going to work for you.

Acceptance of self is a difficult path, and this helps you understand yourself in ways you simply couldn't have before you knew.

Take a deep breath, exhale...and just be.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

29 Apr 2008, 3:44 pm

I've only been DX'ed since the 10th of April. At this point you don't need to hurry and do anything , if you don't want. Maybe consider relaxing and think things over. :D

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2008, 1:44 am

This can be a time for reflection and beginnings of self-acceptance. I went through a mournful period, feeling all the pain I had experienced in life because I was horribly misunderstood by most people.. Getting diagnosed can be a real trip for sure, but ultimately-- it will be to your benefit.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 1:56 am

Now you go ahead and live the rest of your life. You are the same person inside and out. You just know WHY, and you should feel like you belong. For many thats the greatest thing ever.