I dislike it and I am skillful. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I dislike it and I am not skillful 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
I dislike it and I am not skillful 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 66

jman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 6:11 pm

For a year after i got my license I was still afraid, but now when i get into the car I don't think about it i just do it.

it's funny you guys mentioned the driving test. My driving instructor was very impatient but he taught me well. Ironically the first time I took the test, I had a really nice guy with me but I failed cause I almost had an accident :oops: The second guy was not so nice but he passed me. Go figure :roll:

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2005, 1:40 am

Klytus wrote:
I passed my test about four years ago, but haven't driven once since then. I still live at home, and I get the train to work. I suppose I just find it difficult to take the initiative and start driving again since I get by well enough without driving. Plus, I don't think I'd be very confident behind a wheel after all this time.

Incidentally, it's interesting this thread is named after a line from a Gary Numan song. Did you know he allegedly has Asperger's Syndrome? (You probably do!)
He was diagnosed by his wife, apparently, although I'm not sure what her qualifications are as far as ASDs are concerned.

Yes, that is why I used that song. When I heard about his AS, then song's lyrics made a lot more sense. Hiding inside a car... a little self-contained environment, it's an aspergian dream-come-true!

Liadain
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2005, 2:42 am

While I passed the written tests in high school driver's ed with flying colors, I failed overall because my driving is so terrible. I tend to space out and run red lights and stop signs, and simply do not trust myself or expect anyone else to trust me when I'm behind the wheel. I find it nearly impossible to maintain concentration the entire time. I used to also be terrified of cars but that fear is diminishing.

willfreund1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2005, 2:44 am

I crash into everything I just cant focus!

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2005, 4:55 am

I'm an excellent driver overall, although I've had more than my fair share of minor dings whlist parking etc.
I've got an Advanced Driving Licence and love driving, although I hate other drivers who try to bully and intimidate at every chance. I find that aspect hard to deal with.

To get the Advanced Driving Licence I had to pass a test with the Institute of Advanced Motorists. I had a number of difficulties with it, smooth driving I'm not good at and I struggle to think ahead. The hardest bit was doing running commentaries whilst driving. I find that nearly impossible.
However, I did it and have the bit of paper to show for it. :D

I've had one fault accident where I pulled into someone elses path without seeing them (I was distracted after a job interview), otherwise I've dented bumpers on many occasions by failing to judge a space accurately when parking.

When I'm actually moving I'm really safe as I find it quite easy to monitor everything that's going on around me, so I don't get caught out easily by others mistakes. Although I do spend a lot of time taking in useless information, like number plates, working out model specifications etc of the cars around me!

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2005, 10:11 am

It's all so relative: I'm a good driver and I love driving, but I make stupid little Aspie mistakes (like, oh, you know, not seeing traffic lights... like actually not seeing ANY of them! :roll:), which scares me, and then I don't like driving so much... meh!

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2005, 10:47 am

I just drive cautiously and carefully, but I am a good driver.

lazy-Jane

21 Oct 2005, 12:17 pm

When I was 14, I was very excited about driving. Passed drivers ed. Passed written test with flying colors, and just berly the driving test, teacher was reluctant to pass me, but he felt bad for me I think lol. Drove on permit less then a yr when i decided I really didnt like driving. Its so nerve wracking, I get phycislly sick just thinking about it. I really cant focus or pay attention to every thing I need to. Get distracted very eaisly. So now im 22 with no lisence. Moved to the city where I now have public transportation avalible to me, otherwise I dont know what I'd do.

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2005, 2:55 pm

i still like to drive after 14 years of having my license and have taught myself how to drive defensively..i didn't need a class for that..and haven't had a ticket in years..i think i'm skillful as opposed to most others who drive..