I dislike it and I am skillful. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I dislike it and I am not skillful 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
I dislike it and I am not skillful 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 66

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 5:12 pm

There have been conversations about the dislike or inability to drive.

I actually like driving and I am good at it. Am I the only one?

This question is for drivers only.

Think of this question in terms of an XY chart. X axis is like-dislike and Y axis is skillful-unskillful. You must fall within one of the 4 quadrants.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 5:15 pm

like/dislike refers to your enjoyment of driving and skillful referes to your aptitutde behind the wheel.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 5:15 pm

It depends on how you define "skillful." I've never been in an accident that was my fault, and I've never gotten a ticket, but whenever people ride with me (ESPECIALLY guys my age) they make fun of my driving.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 5:28 pm

fahreeq wrote:
It depends on how you define "skillful." I've never been in an accident that was my fault, and I've never gotten a ticket, but whenever people ride with me (ESPECIALLY guys my age) they make fun of my driving.

I'll leave deeper definitions up to individuals. It would be better to say: "Do YOU consider your driving to be skillful?"

My personal definition of skillful is: Being able to take full advantage of traffic patterns, moving between cars easily, and making good time. In other words, not driving like an old lady :lol:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 5:33 pm

I can drive fairly well. I can't parallel park very well, though. I enjoy a nice drive sometimes, too.

By the way, good choice for topic title. Gary Numan is an aspie!

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 6:15 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:
My personal definition of skillful is: Being able to take full advantage of traffic patterns, moving between cars easily, and making good time. In other words, not driving like an old lady :lol:

Then I'd be skillful. But I still hate driving. I live around a large shopping center, which attracts idiotic drivers from all over the state. And if that wasn't bad enough, there is always construction somewhere.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 9:20 pm

I'd say my driving skill is average or even above average, and I do like driving. Even bad weather doesn't bother me. I haven't had any tickets and no accidents or any kind of mishaps. My driving does tend to make people nervous but that's because I usually do things quickly and/or aggressively, but still safely. (Probably an ADHD thing. Think fast and be decisive - figure out what you're doing and then do it, don't sit there thinking about it like a little old lady.)

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 10:00 pm

neongrl wrote:
I'd say my driving skill is average or even above average, and I do like driving. Even bad weather doesn't bother me. I haven't had any tickets and no accidents or any kind of mishaps. My driving does tend to make people nervous but that's because I usually do things quickly and/or aggressively, but still safely. (Probably an ADHD thing. Think fast and be decisive - figure out what you're doing and then do it, don't sit there thinking about it like a little old lady.)

Thank you all!

We've cleared up that not all people with AS are horrible drivers.

To be fair, the poll needs more responses before I write this in stone.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 10:09 pm

There was a thread like this on another aspie forum and about 1/4 of the respondants (not a poll) claim to be good drivers. The other 3/4 said they have trouble with driving.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 11:04 pm

neongrl wrote:
There was a thread like this on another aspie forum and about 1/4 of the respondants (not a poll) claim to be good drivers. The other 3/4 said they have trouble with driving.

If we're lucky we will get enough responces to have a good idea of reality.

The funny ones are those who say they like driving but are bad at it.... LOOK OUT!! !! !!

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 1:48 am

The weird thing is that I failed the test a couple times because I got so wound up under the pressure, but in my 4 years of driving I have never gotten a ticket or been in any kind of accident

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2005, 10:47 am

Quote:
The funny ones are those who say they like driving but are bad at it.... LOOK OUT!! !! !!

I must admit I fall into that category 7 crashes most of witch were my fault but I still manatee that I am a great driver when there is no traffic I gust can not keep track of where that many other things are

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 10:50 am

I like driving but am very timid about it. I'm the most defensive driver I know.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 12:51 pm

I've only driven a few times, my mom's afraid to teach me. Luckily, I have step-dad now. He plans to teach me soon. I don't think I'm a good driver, my first time driving I almost hit a parked car. Well, I would have if my mom hadn't pulled hte emergency brake. It's nerver-wracking, especially with my focus issues. AHH!! ! TOO MANY KNOBS, BUTTONS, ETC.! !!

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2005, 4:20 pm

I passed my test about four years ago, but haven't driven once since then. I still live at home, and I get the train to work. I suppose I just find it difficult to take the initiative and start driving again since I get by well enough without driving. Plus, I don't think I'd be very confident behind a wheel after all this time.

Incidentally, it's interesting this thread is named after a line from a Gary Numan song. Did you know he allegedly has Asperger's Syndrome? (You probably do!)
He was diagnosed by his wife, apparently, although I'm not sure what her qualifications are as far as ASDs are concerned.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 6:11 pm

For a year after i got my license I was still afraid, but now when i get into the car I don't think about it i just do it.

it's funny you guys mentioned the driving test. My driving instructor was very impatient but he taught me well. Ironically the first time I took the test, I had a really nice guy with me but I failed cause I almost had an accident :oops: The second guy was not so nice but he passed me. Go figure :roll: