Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Oct 2005, 5:17 pm

My boss just called everyone into a meeting with him to show off a trophy that our company got. Everyone was like in awe, but me. I don't really understand what the big deal is. I mean sometimes you get a piece of paper with your name on it, sometimes you get a piece of shiny metal or glass on a stick. What is the big deal? What is the big deal about getting a peice of metal and why do they put so much care on it?

Anyone else not care about trophies and awards? Anyone else not see the significance in the physical thing?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 5:36 pm

The trophy is your new god. Worship it accordingly.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 5:36 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 5:40 pm

Small minds are easily distracted by shiny things... :roll:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 5:50 pm

duncvis wrote:
Small minds are easily distracted by shiny things... :roll:

Hey, quit insulting me like that; I love shiny things.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 6:09 pm

I hope this doesn't come across wrong.
But I used to get an award pretty much every year for having a high score on standardized testing. My parents loved this, but required me to dress up and go to a silly banquet and shake some guy's hand up on stage. It really made me want to start doing a little more poorly on the tests. I suppose it is meant to foster competition or something. :roll:

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 8:26 pm

Actually, no. If it's something I'm proud of, I like to be praised. And all the more better if I have something material to keep so I can relive that approbation even more. :D

But if it's something I don't give a damn about, I don't give a damn about the trophy either.

But unless the trophy in itself is a work of art, I don't care as much about it as I do just the simple recognition.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 5:36 am

I've always been proud of my certificates, for some reason I can't se then as just a piece of paper.

But on the other hand when I finished my graphic design qualification I got a certifiicate in the mail and didn't care.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 10:16 am

I think the shiny thing aspect comes back from thousands of years ago. Just as how we react to red and green in different ways, I think maybe the effects of the stars and full moon still attract us in everyday materials

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 10:57 am

I like trophies. It means when a burglar turns up, you have something to club them with. :D

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2005, 3:18 pm

i don't look at trophies and medals with awe, but more as accomplishments ..it's nice to get a trophy for something you've done, but i've never stared at mine or shown it off to people..that's just being vain..
and diplomas (like what you get for graduation from high school or college) shouldn't only be a piece of paper but something more ..that's just cheap