Other non-related web-forums with high number of aspies

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2008, 9:54 pm

Sometimes I'll start a poll on the web forums I frequent to see how many of them are aspies, here's one of my threads:
http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=4051&highlight=

Has anyone else here ever done similar?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:52 pm

Nope.

Aside from a chatroom I kind of blurted it to, I try to keep it anonymous. I figure, it's a lot harder to notice on the Internet anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me :wink:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 12:27 am

There's a forum I lurk on that I suspect of having a high number of older, undiagnosed aspies. I bet most of these people have never heard of AS, and yet I can't help but notice their obsessive behavior, extreme attention to detail, repetitive behavior (answering the same simple question over and over again), exaltation of routines and systems, and weekend nights spent on this obscure forum. It's a forum for a hobby that seems like it would attract a lot of aspies.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 1:44 am

Pro tip: The Sonic the Hedgehog fan forums are FULL of Aspies. I think fan-forums in general are often magnets for us obsessional types.

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2008, 6:14 am

Well, most forums are for discussion of a narrow interest, so big surprise that you're going to find a lot of aspies on the internet obsessing over a specific topic. :wink:

Happyhelen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2008, 11:36 am

Yes, you are right forums are for general chat, which is great as I enjoy talking about my experiences of asperger syndrome.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 12:22 pm

There's a band forum I frequent that I'm sure has a pretty high percentage, the majority of whom have probably never even heard of it. One of my friends from there I'm 99% sure is Aspergian... maybe one day I'll mention it to him.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2008, 12:25 pm

the internet radio show I listen to, NHB Radio, has many aspies on it. I took a poll after someone else mentioned they had it when they called in. I have met many people on the network, and many have AS.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 1:19 pm

From observation I assume there are quite some autistic people on Gaias.

But I also guess few would admit it right there on Gaia of all places.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 1:33 pm

with this being the internet [text form],am would say there is a high chance for finding people on all parts of the spectrum, especially as so many struggle with the autism and as difficulties that make off line interaction impossible for some,and difficult for others.
there will be non asd forums that have more auties and aspies on,traditional autistic friendly hobbies and interests will probably have a lot.
a gaming forum am used to administrate for a tv company was full of auties,aspies,adhders,personality disorders,physical disabilities-it had nothing to do with disability but it turned out a lot of the users [mostly young] were all on the disability spectrum in some way or another.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 2:19 pm

Internet fora are a great thing to get obsesses over. Had that problem myself some times. But there are not many fora where I would admit having Asperger or something similar. Most of the time I have a pretty open profile, not hiding my identity (not showing it either...). Here I have a closed identity, to avoid linking them together.

Ribbit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2008, 10:36 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
There's a forum I lurk on that I suspect of having a high number of older, undiagnosed aspies. I bet most of these people have never heard of AS, and yet I can't help but notice their obsessive behavior, extreme attention to detail, repetitive behavior (answering the same simple question over and over again), exaltation of routines and systems, and weekend nights spent on this obscure forum. It's a forum for a hobby that seems like it would attract a lot of aspies.

4chan?