Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

andantespianato
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Mar 2009, 7:11 pm

Why is it that when I want/need someone to talk to all my friends seem to disappear? Its like it annoys them or something. I dont want to bother the pastors or other people at church either unless its big...
Theres one friend I lost contact with six months ago and I really miss him, he was so much easier to get along with than anybody I have ever met or probably ever will meet... :(

Anyone else get this?

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 7:50 pm

It's fairly typical of friends in my experience.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 8:18 pm

Friends are fleeting. Enemies are forever.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 7:14 am

I emailed my best friend that my mother had died, and I've yet to get any reply from them (almost a month after). Since this is my best friend, you can imagine what my not-so=close friends are like (insert sarcastic laugh here).

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 7:21 am

I think that has a lot to do with how the friends perceives the friendship.

If you are best friends with another, that other might actually just think they're an acquaintance of you.

My acquaintances say that I am them are 'friends', some even say they're 'good friends' and they are eager to share things with me.

Yet, they are in truth just acquaintances. They would not share their real, deep worries and hopes or listen to mine (if I told them which of course I never would seeing how they're not friends).

They're nothing like my actual friends.

If people are certain they're friends with you, it doesn't mean they want that particular kind of friendship that you might have in mind.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2009, 7:32 am

Sora wrote:
I think that has a lot to do with how the friends perceives the friendship.

If you are best friends with another, that other might actually just think they're an acquaintance of you.

Yes, I agree with this. I have difficulties knowing how another person perceives their relationship with me, unless they actually tell me outright, because people can often talk to everyone in the same way in a social setting, but that doesn't mean they perceive everyone as their friends. I have very few friends - the friends I have are those who have really gone out of their way to initiate the friendship, as I don't know how to do that, and who have told me clearly that they value our friendship and see me as a good friend.

andantespianato

18 Mar 2009, 10:23 am

What if you had somebody pursuing you as more than friends for years and being very clear in saying how he felt about you and even getting into talking about the future, but then he suddenly changed once he realised it couldnt happen at this point in time due to circumstances and tryed to convince you that none of it happened, that he never said those things and you misunderstood, and everyone else who saw and heard him also misunderstood?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 10:37 am

That's what the phrase "good riddance" was created for.

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2009, 12:06 am

ephemerella wrote:

And sometimes friends will turn into long term enemies..... :roll:

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:13 am

So better be careful! Argh!! !

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:19 am

i am quite naive about friends. i can make thema but do not understand how to keep many of them. but i do know hundreds of people from over the course of my bumpy life.

i tend to collect people. i may have been some kind of spider in a past life.

I know a lot of people. but no one knows me.
i have one autistic friend who aboslutely knows me better than anyone

and i do not like to spend time with people much at all. too complex. if i let them close i get so mucked up because of communication struggles and misreading things, worrying etc.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:26 am

Nephesh wrote:
ephemerella wrote:

And sometimes friends will turn into long term enemies.....

I suppose that I'll have to defer to your experience in that. I guess it could happen, if you're an as*hole to those close to you.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:31 am

Unless you decide that friends aren't important in your live, ever...

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2009, 12:34 am

ephemerella wrote:
Nephesh wrote:
ephemerella wrote:

I suppose that I'll have to defer to your experience in that. I guess it could happen, if you're an as*hole to those close to you.

It can also happen the other way around. If they start to bully you and you refuse to put up with the bullying any longer then they will turn into enemies. When you stop enabling and facilitating an alcoholic they will turn on you and start blaming you. That sort of thing.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:38 am

andantespianato wrote:
Why is it that when I want/need someone to talk to all my friends seem to disappear? Its like it annoys them or something. I dont want to bother the pastors or other people at church either unless its big...
Theres one friend I lost contact with six months ago and I really miss him, he was so much easier to get along with than anybody I have ever met or probably ever will meet... :(

Why do you care? If they think that you are not worth of keeping contact, why you should bother at all? Their problem, not yours!

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:38 am

Nephesh wrote:
ephemerella wrote:
Nephesh wrote:
ephemerella wrote:

It can also happen the other way around. If they start to bully you and you refuse to put up with the bullying any longer then they will turn into enemies. When you stop enabling and facilitating an alcoholic they will turn on you and start blaming you. That sort of thing.

Yes, but then the person wasn't a friend, but a toxic person all along whose attachment was destructive.

But I definitely agree with you that bad people can masquerade their way into your life as friends and benefactors.