Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:04 pm

There have probably already been 1001 other topics about this already, but I'm wondering who else experiences this thing that sometimes affects me. When I'm outside in the bright sunlight, usually when the sun's high up in the sky (so this happens mainly in the summer months,) and there's a reflective or shiny surface nearby, I begin to feel dizzy and disorientated and I get a ringing in my ears. I don't faint, but I lose my ability to hear while this is happening. It normally happens for about 10-15 seconds, though it can be longer if I remain in the strong sunlight. My sensory issues are not serious, but this has happened about twice in the last week. Who else experiences this, or something similar?

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:25 pm

I hate bright sunlight, but it doesn't cause me to lose my hearing. Might this be an example of synesthesia?

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:27 pm

Bright sunlight hurts my eyes and my skin. I don't like to go out unless there are some clouds to protect me.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:33 pm

I love the sun (mood) but I struggle with it because of the brightness. What I actually find much worse than summer is all the reflection off of white snow and ice in the winter. That causes a hellish glare that can sometimes trigger me into a migraine that lasts for days.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:39 pm

My eyes get tired from squinting, that's about it.

I did almost get heat stroke once (I know that's something completely different).

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:40 pm

I have experienced that. I can't stand bright sunlight!! It makes me sneeze alot. Try wearing sunglasses.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2008, 1:43 pm

Sunlight is a major issue for me. I can totally relate with the dizzy/disoriented/ears ringing feeling... for me, it's similar to the feeling of standing up too quickly. A head-rush, if you like.

I can't function outdoors without sunglasses at the darkest possible tint. Even in overcast weather, the natural light is usually too much for me.

Glinting light is my arch-nemesis. It has the same effect on my vision as a camera-flash, and the reverse-imprint can remain in my vision for up to 10 - 15 minutes after the event. Even watching scenes on TV with lots of photographers (news events/speeches/conferences etc) seriously unnerve me.

Strangely, however, I'm not too bad with strobe lighting. Probably because the entire room appears to become pure white and I'm not attacked by a single focus point of brightness, so it doesn't impact or disorient me as much.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:44 pm

no, but sometimes when i come out for the first time in a few days (sometimes I do this, not always), the sun is bright and I have to adjust to it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 2:08 pm

I can't stand bright sunlight. I like it better when it's overcast. I like to stay indoors, when it's really bright. It doesn't cause me to lose my hearing, though.

pechenegs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2008, 2:44 pm

My eyes get sore in bright sunlight!

Who else has problems with their computer monitor being too bright at night, mine is set at 34-36 for night, it can go to 100 during the day if bright, but I am constantly having to adjust the brightness!

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 5:48 pm

xyzyxx wrote:
I hate bright sunlight, but it doesn't cause me to lose my hearing. Might this be an example of synesthesia?

I wouldn't have thought it's synesthesia, since I don't actually mix up my senses. I can't see colours or touch sounds, for example. I guess my senses can't multi-task. :P

Tails wrote:
Sunlight is a major issue for me. I can totally relate with the dizzy/disoriented/ears ringing feeling... for me, it's similar to the feeling of standing up too quickly. A head-rush, if you like.

Yeah, it's exactly like that for me too. It's a head-rush without standing up too quickly. It doesn't happen when I'm wearing sunglasses (which I need a lot this time of year) so I need to start wearing them more - hopefully without sitting on them for the third time. :?

pechenegs wrote:
Who else has problems with their computer monitor being too bright at night, mine is set at 34-36 for night, it can go to 100 during the day if bright, but I am constantly having to adjust the brightness!

Nope. I prefer the monitor to be bright at night.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 6:04 pm

Yep, I notice the dizzyness the most, then I just get out of sorts like I'm ready to pass out.

I go to alot of yard sales in the summer...hate it when I run into those tables brimming with glassware glinting in the sun...instant headache time...awful.

Do you ever notice you get this way in stores? I don't know if it's the lighting or just too much too look at and I can't process it all...but it happens to me there too.

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2008, 6:35 pm

Yes all bright lights. I can't keep my eyes open at the dentist. But thats why they made sunglasses

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 6:38 pm

Sunlight really hurts my eyes, I have to walk with my hands serving as a visor every time I go out during daylight. :x

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 11:11 am

Have to squint a lot in the sun-am not outside long or often enough to bother putting on sunglasses.
At dentist I keep my eyes shut the whole time due to the light-but also because it's far too threatening for me to see people "all up in my face", hurting me with nasty tools.

Josie wrote:
I have experienced that. I can't stand bright sunlight!! It makes me sneeze alot. Try wearing sunglasses.

FYI: I'd never heard of this, but I just read about it:
"autosomal dominant compelling helioopthalmic outburst syndrome"
Acronym is "ACHOO"-which made me think this was a joke, but apparently author isn't kidding. Long way of saying that bright sunlight (after one's been in the dark for awhile) can induce sneezing (for some folks). See pg. 58 of "Survival of the Sickest" by Dr. Sharon Moalem.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 11:15 am

This is why I wear sunglasses at least 80% of the time I'm outside. I don't have any problems with indoor lighting, but the sunlight really gets to me. Sometimes as soon as I see it, I start sneezing! :roll: