Stupid autism and aspergers myths/stereotypes

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Yep, some parents would think that if the child isn't showing them affection the way they want the child to, or even say "I love you".. then automatically they will believe that the child doesn't love them. These parents desperately need to be educated better about autism.. or they need to find a way to be less insecure. Even when it comes to "typical" kids.. when they are extremely young the parents are going to be giving a lot more than they get back. Thats just the way it goes.

And then comes along the 'autistic people can't show love' stage...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 9:18 pm

I fulfill some stereotypes--I'm a loner, I don't care about fashion, I like science, I want to be an engineer, I'm a real nerd--but when I tell people that I'm autistic, I wonder--do they conclude from that the all autistics are like me? I sure hope not.

I do break a few stereotypes... not much social anxiety, being female, having an imagination... of course I break all of the out-there ones that are true of hardly anybody at all. And I don't know whether people would jump straight to autism unless they saw me doing some universally-recognized stim like rocking or flapping, which isn't often compared to the more surreptitious ones.

Oh, here's a really damaging one:
"Autistic people will always be the way they are now. They don't change and they can't learn. If they learn, it's a miracle and it's all thanks to their therapists, teachers, parents, and possibly their assistance dogs."

I am quite sick of people attributing an autistic person's learning to the people around them. That's ridiculous. We do our own learning; all anybody else can do is make it easier.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 9:34 pm

Callista wrote:
"Autistic people will always be the way they are now. They don't change and they can't learn. If they learn, it's a miracle and it's all thanks to their therapists, teachers, parents, and possibly their assistance dogs."

I am quite sick of people attributing an autistic person's learning to the people around them. That's ridiculous. We do our own learning; all anybody else can do is make it easier.

I never cared for fashion either. In fact I am sure my daughter will be teaching me a few things in that department. And I know what you are saying about that stereotype. That, like the others are ridiculous. The ONLY reason I can function in this crazy world is BECAUSE I have learned important things over the years..

Oh yeah I also love the question that ignorant people ask parents of autistic kids
"Are you going to have to take care of your child forever"?

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 10:43 pm

Warsie wrote:
lionesss wrote:
WOW that sure takes the cake. Unbelievable...

delicious cake indeed...especially the last paragraph. he was serious? :?:

No, the last paragraph (about the conspiracy theory) was a joke. Just something I made up for a laugh.

The rest are actual myths that I have heard.

But, you know, it can be entertaining to make fun of myths and their tendency to develop into outlandish conspiracy theories. :D

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 5:27 am

lionesss wrote:
Callista wrote:

I never cared for fashion either. In fact I am sure my daughter will be teaching me a few things in that department. And I know what you are saying about that stereotype. That, like the others are ridiculous. The ONLY reason I can function in this crazy world is BECAUSE I have learned important things over the years..

Oh yeah I also love the question that ignorant people ask parents of autistic kids

fashion doesn't rate highly on my priority list.
people have to understand that not all on the spectrum are like rainman, or are good at math .
i sucked at math in school. my worst subject.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 8:20 am

I'm going to go start a 'stupid NT stereotypes' thread. See you guys later.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 9:27 am

tweety_fan wrote:
lionesss wrote:
Callista wrote:

fashion doesn't rate highly on my priority list.
people have to understand that not all on the spectrum are like rainman, or are good at math .
i sucked at math in school. my worst subject.

Yeah I am with you on the math, and some sciences too (other than biology), and thats the problem, people don't really get it that its a spectrum disorder.. educate, educate, educate, thats the only thing that will help bring more awareness and hopefully one day the stereotypes may be watered down (maybe... still not counting on that though since there will always be plenty of ignorant people around who refuse to be educated)

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 11:18 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
What stupid autism and aspergers myths/stereotypes does everyone hate?

here are some that am hate..

High rate mobility,disabled parking spaces and the autist.
am get both high rate care and high rate mobility of disability living allowance for lf autism related impairments and high complex needs- dont have any physical impairments wrote down.
part of getting high rate mobility,is being able to get own car through the motability scheme,and am currently waiting for one-a metalic pale blue ford focus.
am will also recieve a blue badge as well,which will allow am to park in disabled spaces.
this is where the problems come in.

people always assume that anyone who gets high rate mobility,a motability car or a blue badge are physically disabled and anyone who isnt using a wheel chair or crutch or frame user when they get out of the car is using/getting them illegally.
it's that stupid disabled=able bodied stereotype,and it isn't helped that the recognised logo for disability is a wheel chair either.
many blue badge users in this country have some sort of severe either hidden physical dis. or brain related dis. that requires the use of a close parking spot,yet a lot of the discrimination comes from other disabled people.
many do not know how am affected and why am need a close parking spot,despite typing in detail.
So point to this [just in case am have not actually said it and have gone off onto something else] being autistic and without physical impairment does not mean cannot get HRM,a motability car or a blue badge.
am would think there might be some aspies who would possibly be able to apply [am know at least two including the well mentioned on wp 'aspie b****h from hell' and the aspie who used to live here but they both love public transport.

DLA is impossible for aspies and HFAs
-for any UK aspie or HF autie here,who thinks DLA is impossible because they dont have the 'right' labels,dont let that put off-get an adovcacy service involved and let them fill out the forms.
if are impaired enough by own AS or autism,they will give DLA-as DLA is not supposed to be based on the name of the condition firstly,it's supposed to be the specific impairments they look at.

Auties are not able to use forums or computers
-this is one thing am really hate seeing,and it's not WPers who say it because WPers have a lot more understanding.
these users say classic autistics are not able to use computers and forums so anyone who says theyre an autie online,isn't, or is so hf theyre not even autistic.
am often think,it really is saying a lot more about them than anyone with autism,usually judged on their young child rather than adults,they only see the one type of autie as well [the profound MR] LFA differs just like HFA differs.
just because communication might be difficult or impossible in one form,doesn't mean it is in another.

adulthood means being able to control meltdowns and have less of them
-does not apply to am/definitely does not apply to everyone.

living with other auties or aspies would be great
-it can be worse than living with anything else,having the same stuff inside does not mean it will be much better than with anyone else.

thats all can think of for now...

would you mind using fewere acronyms? What is DLA????

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 11:40 am

it seems then that denying most of the symptons they categorize asperger with we look more and more like NTs or am I reading it wrong??

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 8:47 pm

These are stereotypes, not symptoms. A symptom would be "lacking expression in speech". A stereotype would be "lacking emotion". Additionally, not every Aspie has every AS symptom; just a majority of them. We're not all alike; plus there's a lot more to us than just the Aspie traits. On the Spectrum, you can have two autistics who have totally different expressions of autism... most of the time you will find some similarities between any two given autistics, but there will always be more different than is similar. We are individuals; most statements cannot be true of all of us.

DLA is 'disability living allowance'... I think.

Autism Memorial:

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 1:25 am

release_the_bats wrote:
No, the last paragraph (about the conspiracy theory) was a joke. Just something I made up for a laugh.

The rest are actual myths that I have heard.

But, you know, it can be entertaining to make fun of myths and their tendency to develop into outlandish conspiracy theories. :D

oh, okay. Also there's this guy who just said this.

Quote:
EDIT: They should just execute that autistic Motherf***er, since he won't last 3 days in the big house and will hang himself anyway.

I'm sick of this BS media-spread stereotype that Asspies are proficient hackers. Asspies are DUMB AS s**t who can't even wipe their own asses, they only have indexed knowledge from what they've learned in their spare time whenever they're not showering. Their accumulated knowledge really holds no purpose besides their worthless existence. Some are knowledgeable with computers because they got nothin to do, not 'cuz they have a genuine interest.

Just cleanse these f*****s already.

http://www.totse.com/community/showthre ... st10462151

in a forum where he's also arguing on whether to place the files on a external hard drive ot on the comp, or ram, what to use truecrypt, paging files, etc....

COME ON. This guy stopped using utorrent because the creator has Aspergers and seems to hate the a LOT (some past posts explain why can't look nao)

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 9:16 am

Quote:
EDIT: They should just execute that autistic Motherf***er, since he won't last 3 days in the big house and will hang himself anyway.

I'm sick of this BS media-spread stereotype that Asspies are proficient hackers. Asspies are DUMB AS sh** who can't even wipe their own asses, they only have indexed knowledge from what they've learned in their spare time whenever they're not showering. Their accumulated knowledge really holds no purpose besides their worthless existence. Some are knowledgeable with computers because they got nothin to do, not 'cuz they have a genuine interest.

Just cleanse these f**** already.

http://www.totse.com/community/showthre ... st10462151

in a forum where he's also arguing on whether to place the files on a external hard drive ot on the comp, or ram, what to use truecrypt, paging files, etc....

COME ON. This guy stopped using utorrent because the creator has Aspergers and seems to hate the a LOT (some past posts explain why can't look nao)[/quote]

Okay this is not just ignorance and hate, but it sure sounds like fear to me (which is linked to hate in many ways) But why is he so scared of people under the spectrum??? I don't know but just reading that seems like its more than just plain ignorance. But I would love to know what is so scary to him :)

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 12:54 pm

it gets better!

Xpenguin17 wrote:
Now I remember you. You're that rarebreed chan n***a that wrote that microdot-induced story about 1336 hackers slinging Hello kitties at 1337 hackers from Roflcopters.

Anyway, Supermax ain't that bad compared to what he'll face in the general population. Asspies don't end up in the Supermax anyhow, real hackers like Kevin Mitnick do. And no reluctant ass gets raped in prison, thats a myth.

Yeah, programming and system analysts/admins; not hackers. Programming is a labor, not much intelligence/skill involved as most people think. It's like writing an essay, your boss gives you a topic and you write 2 pages. Only Asspies don't find repetitive BS tasks as nauseating as more neurotypical mofos would. It's a pretty ball-less career; hacking is much more.

Experience. They can't do s**t without hand-holding, lack basic common sense and were predisposed to be weak pathetic f**ktards from the start. Hell, my stepdad is one of 'em. And that some utter f*****g SCUZZARD was actually able to get into my head is one of the few things I can scarcely admit. No purpose other than obsession, and he still continues to stalk me and a few buds like that Mark Chapman freak, despite how many times I pile-drove a hole thru that sick Motherf***er's chest.

Aight, lemme rephrase that in a way you might follow. Neurotypical people have equally distributed cerebral wiring, wheras severely autistic people (those that drool and piss themselves) have the wiring concentrated on one spot. Higher functioning ones have more wiring on the higher region of the brain responsible for logic and critical thought and little or no in the middle and back brain hence no emotion or common sense.

An asspie's thought processing is f****d up and rigid. Instead of the normal way most people familiarize and instinctually accustom to their environment and situation, asspies just have everything stored in logical memory and recall it at the given time. Meaning EVERYTHING they do they have to actually apply critical thought, even the most basic imaginable s**t. Akin to a thoughtless robot, and what does a computer do when it continuously keeps processing more than it can handle? It locks up.

They're just f*****g freaks. Whatever they are, they ain't human. Just pure, ungenuine understanding, no comprehension beyond the rigid meaning of a word, no emotional capacity. And the only occasion they'd ever display emotion is for their own gain.

Just think about what'll happen if these mentally challenged freaks are allowed to raise children...

I wouldn't analyze my own head too much when it's damaged in the first place.

Actually, I'm being unfair. For starters, Aspergers is a behavior, not a disorder, and are the products of severely fuckwitted American parents who hire the TV/video games to raise their children for them and ahve the perfect excuse if their kids grow up to be f****d up individuals without the basic development skills. ([highlight]Aint my fault yo, it's these damn violent video games that desensitized my kids and robbed them of their conscience![/highlight])

When this became prominent at the beginning of the decade, the Docs had a perfect cesspool of fuckups and ret*ds to exploit for cash. They give a fringe diagnosis to the young f**ktard, breed more f**ktards and encourage 'em to keep acting like f**ktards and in the end, the f**ktard can claim disability pension and basically become welfare pimps, because lacking will to step outside your door and just play video games all day somehow classifies as an "illness." Docs rake in a shedload of money, and so do the asspies, and the parents are free from all responsibility of raising a freak, so everyone wins in the end.

It's just another visible failure of a capitalistic society and the epitome of child prejudice.

In conclusion, asspies aren't really born asspies and ain't their fault they're f****d up. The perfect American democratic system just finds a way to justify it's citizen's dipshittery and blame the children for everything.

And one more thing: there's a partial cure. Oxy. A couple months ago I met up with an old pal of mine (only asspie I've known that ain't a complete jackmaster) who recently started takin hits, and his speech became visibly more human than the usual robotic tone he bullshits about random topics in. He may even get laid sometime, but he's still in the camsex stage. Personally, I would've kept dismissing it as peanut-butter crank if JoePedo didn't describe it so vividly to me in some thread I can't recall. So I owe this one to him. Oxy is f*****g good s**t.

So, SWF, it ain't too late to improve, reclaim your humanity and be someone.

Nah, I don't do e-thuggin anymore, it gets boring. I already tore 3 of 'em new as*holes that they started shaving their legs and wearing makeup.

EDIT: helped with some formatting problems.

EDIT 2; not so good I see. also see the thread I linked to on the last page lol; same one.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 4:59 pm

...wow. Question for you: How did you keep from putting your fist through your computer monitor? Really, I'm curious.

Autism Memorial:

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 10:04 pm

Callista wrote:
...wow. Question for you: How did you keep from putting your fist through your computer monitor? Really, I'm curious.

1. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 16 so :P
2. I'm used to all sorts of this stuff said on the internet, my history on the internet isn't mainstream; a lot on the fringe sites, originally I really stayed on TOTSE a LOT and that place is anarchic to a heavy extent, got Goatsed and nimped there, etc. One troll had a habit of posting CP on the half baked forum a lot, got banned, reregistered and posted more of it, n****r n****r n****r spam and trolling, etc. It's a lot like a chan; odd that a decent amount of the TOTSEans hated channers for a while, especially regarding the pedo aspects...yes, molotoving everything, making bombs and pyro stuff is okay...being a pedo isn't on TOTSE XD. As an add-on about TOTSE and other sites, the TOTSE Army was strong enough to hold off 4chan, SomethingAwful, YTMND, etc in a balance of power for a few years until the admin banned them all :(
3. He said this type of s**t in the past
4. He's not directly attacking me, in fact he has been nice to me in the past although he knows im autistic...he pulled some cheap shots on me though, to which I shot back naturally.
5. I read that in the college library first
6. The hipocrisy of a hacker discussing security, etc saying that is funny..

I do have to LOL given he didn't take up my offer of coming to wrongplanet.net and "debating" us :twisted:

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2008, 10:16 pm

Aspergers = organised and unemotional, and Christopher Boone in CIDN. I happen to be the complete opposite.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854