What's EASY About Social Interactions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2005, 11:43 pm

Okay, I've decided to make a positive post instead of focusing on the difficulties with social interaction. What parts of face-to-face social interaction do you find easy?

Oftentimes, I try to employ humor in unfamiliar social interactions because people like to laugh. I tend to overrely on this, though.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2005, 11:50 pm

Interesting question!

For me:
Getting people to talk about themselves, quickly finding out personal details they never thought they'd be confiding to a random stranger
Noticing when people are getting uncomfortable/nervous/overwhelmed
Dealing with shy people (when outgoing people tend to find them bewildering)

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2005, 11:52 pm

- Small talk
- Basic manners (please, thank you, holding open doors, etc.)
- Compliments
- Public displays of affection
- Giving advice and consoling people

I'm not necessarily saying always know when to and not to employ these techniques, just that I'm good at them. :D

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2005, 4:56 am

I'm really good at being polite, but only because I've been chastised so many times for forgetting to say Thanks etc. So now I probably over do it, especially in restaurants and the like. I'd rather people think I'm overdoing it than being rude by not trying at all.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2005, 5:31 am

Compassion, understanding their point of view, pure sensitivity to the other person-I always put them first. Now don't I sound NT!

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 7:55 am

mikibacsi1124 wrote:
- Compliments

me too! although, i'm starting to wonder if sometimes it can be inappropriate to give compliments on some occasions. a few times people have misinterpretted my compliments as flirtation but i don't want to refrain from complimenting people just because some stupid blokes will see it as a green light.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 9:29 am

Breathing

no, really, I find the same things easy as most of you...compliments (I also wonder if I overdo them) Please, Thank You, Getting shy people to talk(even though I am definetely an outgoing aspie). Small talk to a point, I have a hard time understanding what things are okay or not okay to talk about at a given time. And compassion. And advice!

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 10:23 am

I find it easy to keep silent at all the right times :) ... and all the wrong times too :cry:

on the subject of compliments does anyone else find it really awkward to receive compliments? I hate it, I'm always suspicious they aren't genuine. at least I've found a way round the problem, simply never ever ever do anything good :lol:

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 11:23 am

For me when I see someone in need they are always grateful that I helped.I am also really good at "chatting" and making people laugh.

-SpaceCase :)

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2005, 11:40 am

DivaD

Quote:
on the subject of compliments does anyone else find it really awkward to receive compliments? I hate it, I'm always suspicious they aren't genuine.

When I get a complement I feel so good for a micro second then I feal so sure they are teasing me and get all :oops:

On the thread topic when I am with close friends social stuff is usually so easy almost all of it but put one person I don’t trust in that group and my skills start to vaporises

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 11:59 am

I have a halfway decent sense of hospitality, and I have done ok in judging the boundaries of an conversation.

However, what I do best is listening. And then ask questions based on what I just heard. My best conversations have always been the best this way.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 2:43 pm

I don't talk much to people unless they're my friend. So I am perceived as quiet, stoic, and reserved. If I talk too much I will be in danger of "having my cover blown" and then people would know how different I am.

When I do talk, it is about specific and concrete issues about work or school (or about whereever I am). Also, I will blurt out jokes whenever I think I have a good one. If you can make people laugh with you you will be held in good favor. I think.

So I say I am good at making people think I'm normal.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 2:57 pm

Hmm...positive...ummm...not talking to myself?

ajs_line_of_silver wrote:

DivaD wrote:
on the subject of compliments does anyone else find it really awkward to receive compliments? I hate it, I'm always suspicious they aren't genuine.

When I get a complement I feel so good for a micro second then I feal so sure they are teasing me and get all Embarassed

Same here. I also can't stand giving compliments, or maybe I just never feel compelled to as I dislike most people.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2005, 4:35 pm

Studying people psychologically and testing them.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 4:38 pm

Complementing people is easy for me, Matt.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 7:46 pm

It's easy to stop talking when I've said too much