Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2008, 7:31 pm

This is odd.. on my old VCR, one of the first VHS decks, with top loading, mechanical buttons and stuff, i get tranced by it, and i mean really tranced.. i'll space out..

when rewinding tapes, it makes a very harmonic sound i like for some reason, and i'll sit there and actually watch the counter go backwards, 1, by 1..

then, it scares me: "whiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrBAANNGG!!" the tape reaches the begining and the machine stops.

anything put you into trances?

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2008, 7:37 pm

Sometimes ceiling tiles with dots on them. Also anything with a pattern, or even things I might see a pattern in that no one else does...like a marble or granite countertop....or that creepy steel lining the staircase at my old therapist's office....sometimes wallpaper....oh, and remember old TV's with that black and white static....I could watch it for hours...

And time I was at a bridal shower at work and someone tacked up little butterflies to the walls......all over the room. I swear they were moving their wings....I didn't talk to anyone there, didn't eat the cake.....just started at the butterflies, trying to figure out if they were moving or not.....

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2008, 7:40 pm

Yes, ceiling tiles! I can stare at them for a long time, even close my eyes and still see them..

I'm going to video tape my VCR's sound. Perhaps others here will find it very trancy?

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2008, 8:14 pm

here, is this trancy to anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVT5AApDy8I

the sound it makes when rewinding.. also, the sound it makes when the lid goes up and down, it's very "unique"..

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2008, 8:16 pm

I had an apartment with these stippled, concrete like walls. When I stared, I started seeing faces and patterns in them. I always like watching front loading washers, too. And oh, yes, television static is so cool!

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2008, 8:42 pm

hakemon wrote:

the sound it makes when rewinding.. also, the sound it makes when the lid goes up and down, it's very "unique"..

Not fond of the sounds, but I did like watching then numbers go down....I think I used to do that when I was a kid.....just watch the numbers as a tap rewound.

Another thing that does it to me is watching the numbers on the elliptical machine at the gym. The ones that count the strides.....it's funny how predictable the way it counts is...up by two, up by two, then up by three, then two, then two again,then three, I can trick sometimes it if I speed up or slow down....I must look like an idiot when everyone else is watching the TV's or listening to their I-Pods....all I need to occupy myself is to wacht the stride counter.....also I like to compare the stide count to calories burned and strides per minute rate...leave it to me to be coming up with a set of differential equations while doing cardio......

BAP22
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2008, 8:45 pm

Music can put me in a trance.

Especially electronic or psychadelic music. Then again, this could be due to certain states of mind that I have been in while listening to it in the past...

Zamone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2008, 10:00 pm

Repetitive touch. Like my cat kneading, rubbing against my leg, or licking while it's whiskers rub against me. It also happens when someone runs a brush or something through my hair. This sends me into a very deep trance. I stop focusing on everything but that touch, whatever it is.
There are some textures and speeds that don't set it off, but mostly it sends me into a very deep trance, but it's very comforting.
Thing is, I can't MAKE my cat lick me or rub against me, and it seems of weird asking someone to brush or play with my hair.

amaren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2008, 10:51 pm

The big boards at airports which change what they say by flipping through the alphabet, numbers and symbols mechanically.. I can't look away while it's still going.

Certain patterns in carpet, optical illusions and intersections with broken traffic lights too.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

08 May 2008, 1:06 am

hakemon wrote:

Yes, I agree.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2008, 1:20 am

Does anyone else like watching the credits scroll from a movie or TV show?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 2:00 am

hartzofspace wrote:
I had an apartment with these stippled, concrete like walls. When I stared, I started seeing faces and patterns in them. I always like watching front loading washers, too. And oh, yes, television static is so cool!

oh I hate that when it happens, its always an evil face

BrutalRhubarb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2008, 2:35 am

hartzofspace wrote:

I love looking for faces in the thick of things, like wood grains or porcelain tile. Even a bush in the moonlight can produce the most distinctive forms.

Sceadufaux
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2008, 2:43 am

MRI machines! Man, I actually enjoy getting MRIs, the constant pounding, humming, ect. is so relaxing, despite how incredibly loud it can be.

Paperplate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2008, 3:14 am

Sublyme wrote:
Sometimes ceiling tiles with dots on them. .

Same here, the ceiling of our school hall had these, gave me something to do during assembly.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 10:25 am

As an artist I have used the facility of organizing random patterns into a technique for creating paintings. I splash an interesting abstract of colors on wet or dry paper and let the paint take its own arrangements. Once the pattern has dried I look at it from different angles, sometimes over a period or days or weeks. Eventually (or sometimes very quickly) a pattern appears that is almost a photograph. Faces, of course, are easy to spot but I prefer to seek out new perceptions and sometimes I spot as many as 10 or 20 images before I see one that appeals to me. I then use a few strokes to suppress all but the image I prefer and it becomes a painting. It's much easier to recognize an image than create one from scratch. But the more skilled I become in straight drawing the better I become at recognizing significant images and drawing them out of chaos. It is useful to scan and store a good unresolved pattern and then print out duplicates to play with different aspects of them. Photoshop is very useful to manipulate color and pattern variations.