News: Hackers try to cause seizures on epilepsy site

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Faramir
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2008, 9:02 am

I noticed this article. How many people here are vulnerable to seizures or are at least annoyed by flashing images? I don't experience this and am curious what your experiences are.

______
...But in a rare example of an attack apparently motivated by malice rather than money, hackers recently bombarded the Epilepsy Foundation's Web site with hundreds of pictures and links to pages with rapidly flashing images.

The breach triggered severe migraines and near-seizure reactions in some site visitors who viewed the images. People with photosensitive epilepsy can get seizures when they're exposed to flickering images, a response also caused by some video games and cartoons.

Continues...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24510864/wi ... ?GT1=40006

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2008, 9:06 am

I am not Epileptic.

Bence
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2008, 9:28 am

how nice of them......

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:46 am

WHAT! THOSE CHAN ANON DID IT AGAIN?...Oh, this is old. see and wired news article on this; 7chan did it but anon blames scientology

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:54 am

that happened a while ago [unless it's another attack],people who do that should be made to watch it night and day until it eventually makes them seize up.

am not photosensitive as have been tested for it,though with flashing images am find they overload too quickly and instantly cripple-a side effect of autism and having screwy visual perception.
thats the best thing about image controls and addons in browsers [well....firefox],being able to stop them before they happen or limit them quickly.

it takes a really nasty person to try and force seizures in an epileptic.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2008, 12:41 pm

Old news. I am only annoyed by flashing stuff on a page were nothing else is flashing. I get distracted by it easily.

Spacedoubt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2008, 1:35 pm

When did this happen? I am photosensitive and I go to the EFA website a lot.

I think that when they find the people who did this, they should hit them in the head until they start having seizures. I really do. Because they're the worst kind of dumbass.

I saw a thread about spammers in the EFA forums today, but I didn't click on it. Maybe that's what they were talking about?