What are physical health problems that go with Asperger's?

Page 9 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

elliechoir
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2011, 4:52 am

It appears to me that very few medical problems are directly linked to Autism but the main problem is the STRESS
which we experience a lot more of! And stress leads to fatigue, anxiety and depression. That can lead to a lot
of other physical problems like heart disease, eczema, obesity, and even diabetes.
Stress releases hormones like noradreniline which cause fat to be stored around the waist apparently and the
raising of blood glucose, which leads to all these health problems. I read that 1 in 4 americans has this going
on - it's probably even more since the financial crash! It's not just Aspies!

Relaxation techniques have to be the way to go - working them into our daily lives.
Yoga, - I've got a tape I put on, with soothing music, you just do what she says and feel good about yourself,
ending with a snooze, in the corpse position! Fab. But swimming, meditiation, - try a few until you find the one
that works for you - computer games are the main thing for my Aspie partner when feeling overloaded.

Kittygirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2012, 11:23 am

I have an abnormally high heart rate because of anxiety and sometimes I have dizzy spells. Yesterday my psychiatrist put me on Klonopin to take as needed for panic attacks. But fortunately, I haven't needed it yet.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:41 pm

Epilepsy is the only one I know of that has a likely direct correlation.

Depression creates physical symptoms and indigestion, and sometimes asperger's comes with anxiety or chronic depression.

KittyCommand0r

03 Jun 2012, 1:41 am

I have autism and you can add me to the list with people diagnosed with IBS as well. I'm sure we are prone to any stress related illnesses as well.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2012, 11:15 pm

Here are some I've either had in the past and/or still have. I notice a lot of these come up often in this thread:
Frequent stomach aches
Stomach ulcer and inflammation (negative for H. pylori)
Oral ulcers (often caused by celiac, which I don't have)
TMJ
Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis
Psoriasis
Vitiligo
GERD
Fibromyalgia
High-normal rheumatoid factor
mild scoliosis
very crackly joints
degenerative disc disease in neck
Toes point out a little and my old nicname used to be "Duck"
Low blood pressure
High cholesterol
Mitral valve prolapse
Weak arches/flat feet
I tend to keep my left arm bent a lot
Depression/anxiety

....all this and I'm still breathin'...lol!

It may be interesting to note that my brother didn't walk 'til he was almost 2 years old and he also has "flat feet." When he did start to walk, he also kept one arm bent all the time. He is also self-diagnosed with AS.

EQ: 17
You are very likely an Aspie

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:08 am

I've got the following:
IBS
Tendinitis
Low blood pressure
Arthritis
Sinus problems
Anxiety
Depression
Fatigue
Sleep problems,can't get to sleep,wake up tossing and turning and feel tired when i get up what's it like,not to be tired?
I only get headaches if I drink
Nausea from some food additives and greasy food

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:10 am

I am not sure if autism spectrum disorders can be related straight down with physical ailments but I have noticed a great deal of us have digestive problems. I have seen a big prevalence of lactose intolerance and propensity to have respiratory problems in common, but I am not sure if they are related or coincidental.

personally these are my physical ailments:

Asthma
bronquitis (sp) flair ups
Lactose Intolerance
Allergies to oak pollen and artificial cherry products (i know its not a red 40 allergy, because I can eat hot cheetos for examples)
Weak ankles and wrists
I only ever got one wisdom tooth (is that even relevant? i think its odd tho)
Prone to sinus infections
prone to infections, period 0.o
flat feet, too

Briarsprout
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2012, 4:24 am

Lax muscle tone > which can cause other physical issues

You can also have learning disabilities, as well as, AS such as Dyslexia. But not all have this link.

Other psychological issues can arise such as depression / anxiety

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 4:48 am

redroseuptown wrote:
I've only done limited research in this area but I read that there are some physical health problems associated with Asperger's. Does anyone know what these are? Or would anyone like to share personal stories related to this topic? I am trying to figure out my own health. I think I have Asperger's.

Without doubt, digestive issues. These could include any of the following (and maybe others) IBS, Crohn's Disease, Oesophageal Reflux.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 4:51 am

Aimless wrote:
Yes, I have had lifelong back problems. I think most of it comes down to "Morton's Toe" where the second toe is longer than the big toe. This throws everything out of alignment. I was also visually examined as an infant for congenital hip dysplasia. The pediatrician decided I didn't have it and my mother was relieved because treatment would have involved a year in a body cast. Now years later I have big problems with my hips. Just having sex in the usual missionary position threw my hips out of alignment and I was limping for days afterwards. :? I use the past tense for sex because that's my life right now.

OMG. I have second toes longer than big toes. I had no idea it had a name or that it is associated with AS though.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 6:26 am

I don't have any health problems - I've always been very physically healthy in fact. It's mental health problems like anxiety and depression I've had the most of.

In fact I have a theory that perhaps Aspergers/Autism might be an attempt at an evolutionary solution for some illnesses e.g cancer

Also, I've never broken any bones in my body and thought perhaps the 'autistic'-type genes/'genes that cause me to be the way I am', are protecting me in some way.

Autism might confer some kind of bodily advantage in the way Sickle-cell Anaemia confers protection from Malaria.

So it would be useful to know, of people diagnosed with autism/Asperger's Syndrome:-

1. Have you ever broken any bones in your body?

2. Have you had cancer?

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 6:57 am

hypoglecemia
epilepsy as a child
low tone
IBS, celiacs
food allergies
anxiety, depression
immunodeficiency
hormone imbalances-found this out when I was pregnant.
goiter(thyroid issues)
and I had to have braces on my legs b/c I was a toe walker when I was a toddler.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2012, 7:10 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Yes, I have had lifelong back problems. I think most of it comes down to "Morton's Toe" where the second toe is longer than the big toe. This throws everything out of alignment. I was also visually examined as an infant for congenital hip dysplasia. The pediatrician decided I didn't have it and my mother was relieved because treatment would have involved a year in a body cast. Now years later I have big problems with my hips. Just having sex in the usual missionary position threw my hips out of alignment and I was limping for days afterwards. :? I use the past tense for sex because that's my life right now.

OMG. I have second toes longer than big toes. I had no idea it had a name or that it is associated with AS though.

I just checked....my 2nd toe is longer than my big toe only on my right foot, and not by much. On the left foot, the big toe is bigger by the same small margin. In 50 years I never noticed this. Haha.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2012, 7:20 am

nessa238 wrote:
I don't have any health problems - I've always been very physically healthy in fact. It's mental health problems like anxiety and depression I've had the most of.

In fact I have a theory that perhaps Aspergers/Autism might be an attempt at an evolutionary solution for some illnesses e.g cancer

Also, I've never broken any bones in my body and thought perhaps the 'autistic'-type genes/'genes that cause me to be the way I am', are protecting me in some way.

Autism might confer some kind of bodily advantage in the way Sickle-cell Anaemia confers protection from Malaria.

So it would be useful to know, of people diagnosed with autism/Asperger's Syndrome:-

2. Have you had cancer?

No broken bones. No cancer.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:37 am

Reply to nessa238

No cancer here,only one person in my family has had it.I fell and broke my nose once( clumsy oaf is my middle name) but no other broken bones but my family does have heart problems and I forgot to mention I have high cholesterol levels and degenerative disc disease.My bone structure is quite stocky and I have really sturdy teeth,I used to crack pecans with them as a kid.I have wondered if the IBS could protect against colon cancer because it seems like my body is trying to expel certain food products as quickly as possible.I know someone who is constantly having pre- cancerous polyps removed and they told me they never have problems with diarrhea.I guess having the trots is a small price to pay to avoid colon cancer.My IBS is so bad at times I bleed,my doctor had a colonoscopy done and every thing was fine,I just have a really cranky colon.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

Imweird wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

2. Have you had cancer?

No broken bones. No cancer.

Thanks for the info

I do realise that a lot of people on this board are going to be too young to be likely to have developed cancer anyway.

My Mother died from cancer and there seems to be a genetic risk of it on the female side of her family. For some reason though I feel I won't get it, like some kind of certainty - I don't know why.

My Mother also had heart problems/risk factors for them - angina and high cholesterol and her brother had to have a heart bypass too so it's interesting to hear about other people on here having heart problems. I've had my cholesterol tested and it was above average level so I think I may be at risk of developing angina. Heart problems are very common in the general population though so this might be meaningless.

Despite having little self-confidence mentally, my confidence that I'm going to remain healthy and not get any bad diseases is pretty high for some reason. Perhaps it's self-delusion?