Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 10:51 am

I would like to present you a quote from p. 251 of the book "The gifts and Ministries of the Holy Spirit" that I found to be quite judgemental. Even though none of the ppl involved were aspies, there is a lot of judging-by-social-status promoted, which is something that aspies are always victims of.

Quote:
My wife and I witnessed a very interesting occurence in Puerto Rico. As we were preaching there, a missionary came by the church to visit. He stood during the service and, rather than preaching, gave his life's testimony. He said, "I was called to be a m issionary in India. While there, my wife fell in love with another man and left me. Now I am alone as I go out preaching the Word. I've come down here because I love you and I'm going to preach the Word to you. How glad I am to be with you"

The pastor of that church stopped him and said, "Sit back down. A man who can't control one little woman is surely not going to preach to my people. You can just go back to America" (Those people are called "natives", but they know how to operate their church)

The bible says that a deacon must be faithful in all things, the husband of one wife, ruling his children and his house well "For they that have used the office of a deacon well urchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in faith which is in Christ Jesus" (1 Tim 3:13) Deaconship is a good work. The Lord expects a deacon to be an example to the people of his church.

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2008, 11:05 am

Infidelity is one of the few justifications for divorce actually condoned in the Bible. In typical fashion, it seems they are cherry picking verses to judge him by.

8th Cmdmt: Thou Shalt Not Steal.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2008, 11:29 am

Yet another example of the sexism inherent in religions. Control your wife and children??? Who gave the man the right to be in control? Doesn't the woman have just as much right to be in control? And yet if a woman is said to control their husband, it's viewed negatively?

Patriarchy at its best, eh? Pathetic.

Furthermore, the way they say "natives" is demeaning and belittling. Rather racist, as if they are less than a non-native.

The man may have been a perfect example of his church. His wife, however, may not have been.

Christianity was documented during an age of misogyny. Women meant very little, and men were all powerful. Things are very different now. So how come everyone is still following things that were written down some 2000 years ago. We don't listen to anything else that was written back then.

Pardon my rant. But religion has caused more wars, killed more people, and hurt tons of people. It still does. I'm not impressed.

Selkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2008, 11:37 am

In their view, both laypeople and women could be considered lesser beings. If you can't control one, you have no business controlling the other. :roll:

What bothers me about Abrahamic religions is that they're trying to apply tribal law in the 21st century. If one's survival depends on unity of a small-ish group, then ridged societal roles and rules barring coveting and pissing off the local god are pretty sensible. But now that we live in a global society, getting pissed off because someone thousands of miles away drew a picture of Muhammad does not do anyone favors.

Last edited by Selkie on 09 May 2008, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 11:48 am

Very old-school and sexist, too. :evil: