Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2008, 6:05 pm

I know stimming is a kind of rocking but is it a concious (forced) action or is it a repetitive action that is more like a deeper modulation movement of the body ?

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 6:07 pm

Morrissey wrote:
I know stimming is a kind of rocking but is it a concious (forced) action or is it a repetitive action that is more like a deeper modulation movement of the body ?

It could be both.I get urges to do rocking.Other times i just do things without knowng it.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 6:13 pm

Normally, stimming refers to 'Any repetitive motion or sound which serves to stimulate the neural network'. That means, anything you do just to do. It doesn't have to be something you are conciously aware of doing. I stim by playing with my hair, rocking back and forth to music, and chewing my fingernails. I'm usually fully coherent when I do this too, so it's not something that requires complete detachment from the world.

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2008, 6:42 pm

What is the difference between stimming and fidgeting?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 6:47 pm

mysterious_misfit wrote:

From what I can tell, if you're autistic its stimming, if you're NT its fidgeting.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2008, 7:25 pm

mysterious_misfit wrote:

There isn't a lot of difference except, possibly, in the motivations for stimming and the movements themselves. Typically NTs fidget because they're nervous or bored, while this isn't always so for someone with an ASD (though those can be motivations for stimming as well). I think it depends on the person, really.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 11:38 pm

I usually don't notice when I'm stimming. I'll suddenly find myself rocking, putting things in my mouth, fiddling with something in my pocket, jiggling my legs about, etc.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 10:54 am

mysterious_misfit wrote:

Fidgeting is not necessarily repetitive. A child playing with a Hot Wheels car in a church pew is fidgeting, but he's not stimming.

I don't find my stims to be entirely unconscious (I'm at least subliminally aware that I'm rocking or swaying or leg bouncing), but I don't consciously initiate them, they just are. I notice if someone insists that I stop. The intentional resistance to the impulse is like being tied up and locked in a trunk.