Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2008, 11:15 am

nara44 wrote:
i just call it a "different sense of order" because like many aspies i have photographic memory so i don't need to organize things in order to remember where they are so why waste the time and effort.

Well said, that is me exactly. Nothing pisses me off more than when someone straightens up my "mess" without telling me, then I can never find anything. Leave my "filing system" alone!

Claradoon wrote:
I like tidy, but if I don't pick something up right away then it looks like it belongs there, and the place gets really messy.

Of course I have this problem as well. And as I mentioned in another post I am quite the packrat, so there is a LOT of clutter.

However, never confuse sloppy/cluttered with unsanitary. I am also an OCD germ-phobe, so everything is clean to the point of near sterilization, just not neatly arranged.

8th Cmdmt: Thou Shalt Not Steal.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2008, 11:20 am

I have clutter. I also hate clutter. But I just can't stay on top of it well. With four kids it gets kind of hard sometimes. LOL Clutter visually causes meltdowns. I hate seeing stuff everywhere. It confuses me and its like extra "noise"

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 12:04 pm

I used to be SO clean/organized, but today AM pretty messy. Nothing perishible though. I'm still no Oscar Madison. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odd_Couple_(TV_series)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 12:43 pm

My house is like a katamari...big jumbled ball of stuff...the problem is that I want to be organised...I just somehow severely leack the skills...it is not that i don't care...I am just really bad at it....it is a constant struggle that I am am constantly not up to..it does not help either that I have the propensity to collect/hoard things...this tendancy has even been descrived as a genetic trait that uns in my family....I wouldn't believe it if I didn't find it so difficult to escape from...

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 12:53 pm

I am extremely tidy and always have been - everything is in its place and stays in its place. However, I dont clean too often, so there is frequently a layer of dust on everything.

One thing that is often messy however, is the inside of cupboards and drawers which dont normally get seen. I sort of wonder whether this reflects my brain - I seem to be supremely organised to anyone looking at me, but underneath there is chaos!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 12:59 pm

The only thing that gets left on my floor is dirty clothes, I like to at least have a place to walk. But everywhere else in my room is clutter. I clean it up once a month, and start over again. It's nice to have your own special system of choatic organization.

tarl
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2008, 1:16 pm

catspurr wrote:
I let the place get somewhat messy but then I start to clean obsessively and only I can clean and put things in the places they belong. When other people do it, I get upset because I can't find anything.

Wow that's me, my mess will get to a critical level and then I will freak out and clean. I'll normally reorganize stuff as it annoys me while cleaning. I've even called in sick to clean, because I HAD to clean.

RustyShackleford
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2008, 1:24 pm

Untidy, disorganised: You name it! I should have replied to a letter from the police about driving too fast ages ago but I lost it. Then they sent me what I thought was a reminder but it was for a new instance of excessive speed. Now I have 'filed' two letters, I have no clue where they are and no money to pay the fines anyway.

Covering the floor of this room I have a master IN pile at the bottom of which is a homogeneous mass of forgotten chase letters. Sometimes I just give up and hope they'll get forgotten about. The worst thing is the positive reinforcement when the companies involved do just forget; and the cycle continues...

Just out of interest does anyone else have problems with excessive speeding fines? I swear the bit of my brain that is supposed to feel guilty about that kind of 'small crime' just isn't there. It's not that I look for trouble I just don't look hard enough at staying away from it.

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2008, 1:36 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
Just out of interest does anyone else have problems with excessive speeding fines? I swear the bit of my brain that is supposed to feel guilty about that kind of 'small crime' just isn't there. It's not that I look for trouble I just don't look hard enough at staying away from it.

I think many aspies are especially bad about speeding because it is an efficiency thing... I know that I have to drive 10 miles over the limit between stoplight A and stoplight B, or I will get stuck at a red light and lose at least two minutes of driving time for no reason, other than piss poor design of the light system.

Fortunately, not many people consider speeding a real crime, certainly not most cops who will use their lights and sirens as an excuse to speed and run lights all the time, even though they aren't supposed to. Many of them don't even like giving tickets for it (I know, my dad was a cop for 13 years) but have to due to monthly quotas to keep their job. Like most everything else in our legal systems, it is all about the money.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 1:50 pm

I'm not messy at all.

I just improvise and use the floor for extra shelf space :wink:

krex
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 2:14 pm

I collect my interests and they are in organized little groupings and I horde things and they are in shelves and closets for when I may need them,I have t check every now and then because I forget what's in there...everything else is on the floor where the cats can properly inspect it...actually I would love more space to put things in order...problem fixed, except I can't afford a bigger place :cry: problem not fixed.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 2:47 pm

I'm a bit messy, but that's more because I'm a bit of a packrat and I hate cleaning the bathroom. In general though my place is a lot cleaner then most people my age, My god I can't believe how filthy some college-age people are.

Curiosity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2008, 3:01 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I like tidy, but if I don't pick something up right away then it looks like it belongs there, and the place gets really messy.

I am the same way. I can keep things neat until I lay the first thing on a surface If I do not soon remove it, then things just pile up and pile up.

silly_rabbi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2008, 3:30 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm not messy at all.

I just improvise and use the floor for extra shelf space :wink:

Ok, next time my mum gets on my case about cleaning my room I'm gonna use that excuse!

I have a certain way my books MUST be organized, and that's about it really. Everything else I set down and automatically remember where it is. Unfortunately I've lost stuff over the years and can't remember that I've lost it. So occasionally I go on a wild hunting spree and mess my system up. That's when I have to do a major clean and re-organize everything.

johnpipe108
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2008, 10:18 pm

As with many others, I have some things in order, but put things down and they just pile up instead of getting returned to where they belong. Of course, I've got a little too much matter to deal with; not everything yet has a proper space to live in! I'm very slowly working on organizing, but I'm not keeping up with it.

My mother never was well organized (N/T too!), and so I never learned organization from her; her idea of order when cleaning up my room was to push everything into the closet. When she would go out, she would ask me to take care of her babysitting calls, but her phone-list was indecipherably disorganized.

When I worked as an engineer, my desk was always under a pile of drawings and papers.

I have a sign on my garage workbench that reads:

"A Creative Mess Is Better Than Tidy Idleness"

Bom Shankar Bholenath! I do not "have a syndrome", nor do I "have a disorder," I am a "Natural Born Scholar!"

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2008, 12:28 am

johnpipe108 wrote:
"A Creative Mess Is Better Than Tidy Idleness"

Reminds me of the old saying "a cluttered desk equals a cluttered mind," to which I always responded "so what does an empty desk mean?"