Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2008, 6:02 pm

yes, sounds about right to me

krex
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 6:14 pm

Hodor...college didn't exactly make me a social butterfly but it was a little easier to meet open minded people at my U...(mileage may very) but I would recommend that you try and join some groups that share your special interests. I didn't force myself to do that out of fear of rejection but I really wish I had. Especially in the arts, I was afraid not being a "real artist"..ie ..sometimes means a pretentious jerk...that I would not be excepted but I think there were probably like minded aspies I missed meeting because of my own fear.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2008, 6:26 pm

i annoy people for some reason, it sucks

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2008, 6:33 pm

I don't know what to say beyond I often feel this way, totally inept. For me, "making friends" is exactly as anxiety-producing as dating, just without the potential for sex. Will she call? Won't she? Why didn't she? And so often, either I like someone but they don't seem to reciprocate, or someone likes me but I'm not comfortable with them. :( It's hard for me to "dump" people - so I just tend to disappear. Aside from my SO I haven't had any real "friends" except party buddies when I was in college, really - and the small handful of people I do consider my friends, I seldom see. ;)

It's like a dog chasing a car, and the car finally stops, so the dog finally has his prize...and then what? He doesn't know what to do with it. ;)

I've found that I don't have the patience/tolerance/energy required for many friendships. I like to be on "good terms" with everyone, ideally, but I'm pretty much a homebody now, in my thirties - I seldom attend social gatherings, unless it's with my husband or it's related to our son's school, and even then I don't really fit in, and frankly that's fine with me. I'm tired of feeling badly about myself because other people perceive me to be "aloof" or "stand-offish" OR that I talk TOO much, or that I'm "selfish" for needing so much alone time. I do not intend to spend my forties feeling badly about who I am or what I need, damn it.

For me, that's liberation.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 6:37 pm

sinagua wrote:

Exactly, LIBERATION

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2008, 6:38 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
sinagua wrote:

Exactly, LIBERATION

I'm trying to imagine what the logo would look like for the "NEURO-ATYPICAL LIBERATION FRONT." ;) :lol:

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 6:41 pm

sinagua wrote:
I'm trying to imagine what the logo would look like for the "NEURO-ATYPICAL LIBERATION FRONT." ;) :lol:

My vote is for something funny, silly, gaily coloured and childish ! :wink:

krex
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 6:42 pm

Does Animal liberation Front already use ALF (the TV character)? I don't actually EAT cats but...I think he is cute and fuzzy and would be a good mascot.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2008, 6:47 pm

Perhaps a simple circle - with red crayon drawn OUTSIDE the lines? ;)

I guess I lean to the abstract with logos. ;)

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 6:50 pm

Your (Sinagua) avatar could be a good basis, some crazy carachter saying (laughing) something like "hey, stop bugging me ! " :wink:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:56 pm

Hodor wrote:
I do need human contact, very much so, but I've developed ways of coping without it.

So have I. I can almost guarantee that if I had an active, healthy social life outside of my family, I would have stopped having imaginary friends a long time ago.

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2008, 9:20 pm

I've said almost those exact words.

To me, it's the difference between Asperger's, "social anxiety disorder" and schizophrenia. I'm not *afraid* of parties; just confused and overwhelmed by them. I'm not afraid of meeting other people; just don't know how to do it.

On the one hand, I desperately long to "belong." It frustrates me that I never quite seem to "fit in" with any given group. OTOH, as others have noted, I want to socialize with people on my terms. I know other people criticize me for my inability to accept certain basic social norms and my lack of interest in the kinds of things that interest "ordinary" pepole. But I also don't really want to socialize with people unless they can share interests with me.

Ultimately, I'd rather have a few close friends than be involved in a lot of clubs/groups/parties or whatever. And usually the people I've been closest to "mesh" with me without the social norms being an issue -- either because they're just as socially awkward as I am, or they're really outgoing themselves.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:55 pm

Once upon a time I guess when I was younger.

Now it doesn't bother me anymore, alone isn't that bad, the friends I tried so hard to keep years ago usually didn't understand me and caused me a good deal of stress at times as a result...like the lab rat that keeps getting shocked when he reaches for the cheese...after awhile he decides it just isn't worth it and moves one to something else.

Like sinagua said, I'm tired of feeling bad about myself based on other people's perceptions of me. I tried to "fit in" for too many years...it was a tremendous waste of energy.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 12:26 am

qaliqo wrote:
"People with Asperger's want contact with other people very much; we're just pathetically clueless at it, that's all"

Yes and no. Really do crave social time with friends, but don't like most people or the way that they think about things. Usually like individuals once I get to know them, but it is like pulling teeth to get us from that first, alien exchange of greetings and names to a comfortable rapport. One problem is that I get frustrated because most consider others' feelings before saying things, and so never share things that make others uncomfortable. Kills me, can talk about most anything if people weren't so concerned about public/social image.

I sure do. There was this girl that I like, and I made her feel awkward. I always make people feel like this. god damnit.

Story of my life! Women only respond warmly when I play NT and suppress my Aspie traits. Also, problems with authority scare females away, except for the ones who like bad boys, and I'm usually too nerdy for those ladies. Present wife leaving me, mostly over Aspie traits, says she's sick of being my behavioral therapist. Ho hum.

Appreciated greatly... especially the part in bold. The push/pull allure of people is maddening, the experience permeated with noisy thought, consumed with thoughtworry or so entranced in other thoughts that I am unaware of what is going on around me. I am sorry that you are having such a rough experience right now, it is something I can understand somewhat well having gone through something similar in the past year. Dating sucks. Period.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

deadpanhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2008, 9:40 am

sinagua wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
sinagua wrote:

Exactly, LIBERATION

I love this idea and the following logo ideas. Are you going to start a thread for membership and/or a logo contest? :lol: That would be great fun.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 3:24 am

I agree with you I do want to make social contact with people and have friends but there things holding me back like anxiety, depression, and just not having the social cues and skills of normal people. After a while you just stop trying to and avoid it. You know that it isn't going to help and make it worser but at least you're comfortable by yourself.