Page 3 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 10:10 am

I have always been a very fast walker.

If there's somewhere to get to - GET THERE. Even shopping I walk fast, much to the ire of my shorter wife. She can't walk quite as fast as I do, even if I'm walking at a slower pace. If I'm out walking for the exercize, I'm hell on two feet. But if I'm out in the country, like trying to walk on a trail, I attempt to slow down but it doesn't work really.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 11:40 am

I am a fast walker, despite having very short legs. People have told me that I look as though I am marching along sometimes.

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 11:55 am

I walk fast. This stems from wanting to get away from something quickly (ie school), but not wanting to be seen to run, which invites further ridicule and abuse.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:58 pm

Iedite

Last edited by Sorenna on 27 May 2008, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:09 pm

I walk very quickly even when I have no where to go.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:41 pm

Sorenna wrote:
Oh man, I can't believe this is a trait. Yes, I walk fast and far and had a severe movement issue.

I would have to run 2 hours, and then walk one hour right after every single day. That's three hours of intense movement every day.

It could snow, sleet, rain, tornado, whatever. I've almost got struck twice, collapsed in a heap in a torrent of subzero rain (but kept going) and was a general maniac. I would have to scehdule school and around this. It came first. No vacation unless I had a running route already planned out.

In Wal-Mart Iam almost always pegging people and mad as hell when they PARK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AISLE.

Starting last year I began to slow down and it sucks. I can do like 2 hours of walking. Harldy run anymore, but I wish I could. But I cannot sit still.

I know that there are people on here who will believe me when I say this. I am very mercury sensitive. When I had an amalgem filling removed, that is when I started having trouble keeping up this pace.

So, yes, I have this too. But it can be a good thing. My ex boyfriend was a very happy man. :-D Also it sure keeps you in shape. And saves on gas!

Ciao.

I had a similar thing, although slightly less extreme - I would have to walk at least 4 miles a day. I remember once going on holiday with my family, driving most of the day across france, and as soon as we stopped I rushed out the car and started walking randomly in any direction, just to try and get my 4 miles in. Like you my day revolved around the walking, and I would get terribly restless if I had to sit still for long, even if I had already filled up my walking 'quota' for that day.

Paperplate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 1:53 pm

I'm a fast walker and have always been told to slow down by people walking with me. Is this a recognized Aspie trait? - sure looks like it could be.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 2:49 pm

I am a fast walker myself. Running I've done a few times, but it's not my thing, though I do bike a lot. I also "run" up stairs sometimes too.

Sometimes I'll walk along and instead of slowing down to wait for other people, I try to walk around them, but sometimes I might interfere with another person's invisible "personal space"

Warhammer_fanatic
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2008, 4:06 pm

I also do that. Like when I walk my dog, i go faster than anyone else would on the same trail.

And so I finish in less time. So they think I did less walking then they would do.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 5:26 pm

I hate all the me too threads, but:

Me too.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 7:35 pm

I've always been a fast walker, and I get really frustrated if I have to slow down.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 8:00 pm

I'm not fast, everyone else is incredibly slow.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Deus_Imperator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2008, 8:03 pm

I've been told that I'm a really fast walker, but to me its just walking. I've noticed that I often start to leave people behind and then I have to slow down.

I've developed a theory involving five types of walking

Dawdle: This involves someone wlaking in the slowest manner and being left behind by all others. People who do this often are usually told to move faster, although this is their normal mode of locomotion.

Saunter: The saunter. One of the most irritating methods of walking because it varies speed from slower to a dawdle to just faster than it.

Stroll: The third type of walk is only marginally faster than the saunter at its best. In most cases, this is not the persons usual mode of locomotion. The stroll is often used by people when they are "enjoying the scenery."

"Walk": The "walk" is the most commonly used method of locomotion. This is towards the faster end of the spectrum but is not near the stride, in terms of speed. Used mainly when a person has somewhere to go and do not wish to be disturbed.

Stride: This walking style is one of the fastest around. Used when someone needs to hurry to wherever they wish to go, it allows a person to move relatively unhindered.

"Gear change:" This is the fastest style of walking. In this style the walker's movements become much smoother, and the speed increases greatly from the stride. This style of walking will quickly outpace any other walker and can even be faster than some joggers.

My walking style tends to alternate between the stride and "Gear change." Note that the ger change is a personal style that I have noticed. Normally my movements are somewhat jerky, but when I "put my legs into gear" (as I call it) they smooth out and I move much faster.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 8:05 pm

well, it is surprising, 'me too' or not. But I was still walking fast before the post was made..;)

Bradford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2008, 8:28 pm

Me too. With shoulders maybe a little too far back.
Sometimes I wish I had one of those little
hand held air horns. I might if I lived in a city.
It's starting to sound like we got another symptom.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 7:31 pm

I find it more tiring to walk slow with other people than walk at my pace, I have to hold my legs back whereas without restraint they are like machines that do not seem to feel.

When I was in the Navy, and we all had to go jogging somewhere during physical training, I got pulled up by the Chief Petty Officer when he noticed me just walking normally and keeping up with the rest of the troop who where running.

Not only do I have long legs, but I use my calf muscels to spring forward with my feet as well, my hips swivle to get even more stride, and my impatience makes me move the whole assembly as fast as they possibly can.