Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:26 pm

I went for a walk last night and realized that everything I saw didn't seem real. It all just looked like something out of a sci-fi movie...really weird. Sort of like when I look at mountains that are really far away and they look like a painting. But last night even the things that were two meters away from me looked "fake". And now everything just doesn't look right - it feels like I'm in a semi-transparent box looking out at a world made of something entirely different. I'm confused, maybe I have always seen this but I think it just hit me last night. Has anyone else experienced something similar or have I finally lost it?

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2008, 1:34 pm

really, I have noticed something similar the last few days....really.

its about the way like you describe it...

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2008, 1:43 pm

Derealization? I only get that way when I'm really, really tired and had a bit of caffeine. I experience derealization differently sometimes, the main feeling usually that I'm stuck in a dream and everything is hard to (physically) focus on.

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:48 pm

theQuail wrote:
Derealization? I only get that way when I'm really, really tired and had a bit of caffeine. I experience derealization differently sometimes, the main feeling usually that I'm stuck in a dream and everything is hard to (physically) focus on.

Is that what it's called? :)

I'm not tired or had any caffeine...but the way you say it as being stuck in a dream and everything is hard to focus on is close to spot-on!

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2008, 1:56 pm

I felt this way while I was on mirtazapine. It was severe and really just awful... I felt as if the sidewalk might give way under my feet if I took a wrong step, or the buildings around me might collapse and reveal themselves to be a stage set made of particle board.

I've also had this feeling to a lesser degree at other times, but when it occurs naturally it's always mild for me and I'm amused by what goes through my mind.

My father thinks more or less the same way I do and he tells me that he also felt this way a lot, especially as a small child. He remembers feeling that everything was a sham, and that he might see stage hands clearing the scenery away behind him if he turned around fast enough.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 2:19 pm

Yeah it's called derealization or detachment and it's not all that uncommon. I had an episode that once lasted for 2 weeks and it was severe enough that I couldn't paint or put on makeup because it was like I couldn't see faces anymore. Very freaky, but it went away on its own. I had 2 smaller episodes after I was quite stressed but haven't had it happen in years.

Knaidle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2008, 5:00 pm

I get a mild version of that when I eat cheese and when I oversleep. I feel like I can't see properly even though I can see perfectly. Everything seems fake and I can't process what I see as a big picture.

bettybarton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2008, 6:27 pm

yes- ive had it when ive been a little high with depression, or stressed with anxiety- mild psychosis (though perhaps this isnt the cause of your experiance). colours were brighter, edges sharper, sounds were odd, smells stronger etc.
it was fun.
like mild acid.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 6:39 pm

I get it sometimes, not sure what triggers it... I think usually when I'm tired. I have it now actually, watching my hands type it looks sort of like they're two spiders moving of their own accord, or big crabs scuttling under the sea, or aliens commanding a spaceship... 8O They certainly don't belong to me anyway, but somehow they're channelling my thoughts onto the screen...

I get this after I've been drinking, too. But I haven't been drinking in weeks. So it's not that. I think I should probably just go to bed.

It's weird isn't it. :D

krex
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 6:55 pm

I have had this since I was a kid...gets worse when I am stressed, over stimulated in social situations but is always there to some degree. There was a recent movie I just saw about this that I highly recommend. It isn't exactly the same thing but has some over lap to the experience...

"Numb"<---check it out, it's on DVD now.

I also think the time that this is the most evident and a time that even NT's may experience this is during twilight...after the sun has set but it is still light out side...especially in the summer for some reaosn...Check it out....weird.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:22 pm

I got like that when adolescence hit.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 7:23 pm

I've also had this since I was a kid. It's really unpleasent and I hope that it will go away with the right medication. I've started on Strattera now, and if that doesn't do the trick, I'm going to try Ritalin. I hope that will make the world feel "real"

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:40 pm

Geeze I know that feeling, big time.

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:43 pm

wow. thanks for responding. I really thought I had completely lost it. It was starting to freak me out.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:44 pm

Vimse I think you'll find that drug use does nothing but amplify the affect.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:53 pm

I'm like that all the time.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I