Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 11:50 am

I think you're on to something. I'm guessing that hearing the different responses, you might want to reword some of what you said. For example, maybe "pity" is not the point, just semantics. The point is that they have areas of weakness that a lot of us don't.

I'm just realizing that I have Asperger's and my self-esteem has gone up from knowing that. I understand some of my assets better, and I know that I can learn the social skills and, with maturity, channel my obsessions to the right places. Then I'll have the best of both worlds. What a relief.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2008, 12:03 pm

I only pity the ones who haven't been taught critical thinking skills. I've known a number of clever, educated NTs who are capable of thinking for themselves instead of falling into this 'pack mentality' that seems to bedevil humanity in general, so clearly it is possible for people without autism to act independently and logically.

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 12:16 pm

veruniel wrote:
I only pity the ones who haven't been taught critical thinking skills. I've known a number of clever, educated NTs who are capable of thinking for themselves instead of falling into this 'pack mentality' that seems to bedevil humanity in general, so clearly it is possible for people without autism to act independently and logically.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

8th Cmdmt: Thou Shalt Not Steal.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 12:21 pm

I would pity elitist's, but id rather watch the Simpson's..

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2008, 12:32 pm

I only pity the fact that they actually need friends to feel happy, and they feel lonely so easily.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 12:42 pm

bheid wrote:
I only pity the fact that they actually need friends to feel happy, and they feel lonely so easily.

Yeah. I'm good company to myself. I get a kick out of spending time alone, because I'm really funny to myself and I have a blast and I can obsess all I want or practice not obsessing depending on my mood and it's all fun.

But I would like to have more choice to swing both ways easily.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2008, 1:46 pm

Pity me and I'll pity you.

Not all NT's are the same.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:30 pm

DWill wrote:
I don't pity them at all. NT's are doing just fine in the world. We aren't superior or inferior, just different.

Exactly what I was wanting to post.

The amount of neurotypical bashing that I see on this forum bothers me to no end. We want to be treated with respect and all, but then so many of us turn right around and talk about how we're fine and neurotypicals are the ones with a problem. Asperger's Syndrome is a disorder; a slight mis-wiring of the brain if you will. I sometimes joke that my brain was assembled on a Friday at the brain factory. :lol: AS is certainly not a superior trait.

However, we should still accept and be proud of who we are, just so it doesn't drive us to think we're better than everyone else. That would hardly be different from how racism works.

I do feel fortunate to live in a time when the "normal" people I know are willing to accommodate my differences. So I thank the majority of NTs, despite not knowing quite how they work, for allowing me to share life with them.

bheid wrote:

The same holds true for a lot of people with AS. I was happy being isolated for about three years after high school, but now my desire for friends and company is higher than ever. I would bet there are a lot of NTs that prefer to be by themselves, too. People can't really be divided into broad, fixed categories.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:44 pm

I pity NTs sometimes when I see how they give up on the enjoyment of their true self in favor of belonging to the uniform pack. But I know there are advantages and disadvantages to being an NT or an Aspie, so I don't pity them for long.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:58 pm

^ I pity them for that very reason but I also envy them for other reasons.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:33 pm

am dont pity them,am couldnt care less what faults they might have,they didnt choose to be NT as much as auties and aspies didnt choose to be autistic,no such thing as faultless human.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2008, 4:46 pm

I'ld say it's easyer to learn to what an NT does best than what an AS does best!

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2008, 4:49 pm

I do sometimes, but mostly when I am "high on life."

Mostly I pity those who don't have as intense of emotional swings as I do. I feel things very intensely, and I couldn't imagine living without it.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jun 2008, 4:50 pm

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:57 pm

<< it was only a matter of time..

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 6:01 pm

Let's not pretend that being Neurotypical doesn't have its advantages. In a world that is made up mostly of NTs, being able to read social cues and faces, understand non-literal language and easily make and keep friends is an advantage. A social and psychological advantage. Most people here, from what I've read, seem to desire friendships but a lot of us struggle to get them, experiencing a great deal of pain and loneliness in the process. That's not an advantage.

I do pity some (I say some, not all) NTs for being fickle, untrustworthy, easily led and swayed by the majority and inconsiderate of, even hostile towards, those who have differences. Those personality traits are responsible for a lot of pain and suffering we see in the world, but these are not exclusively NT traits. Aspies can be intolerant, fickle and downright nasty, and I've seen plenty of it here on this board.

So, do I pity NTs? No, not for being who they are. They can't help having their brains wired differently. :P Mercilessly stereotyping them doesn't make us superior, either.