Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,471
Location: Village of the Damned

21 Jul 2008, 6:20 pm

Ana.....just to help you gain some insight to the dreaded fingernail breaking PTSD :lol: Some women have a lot of their self worth wrapped up in how their fingernails look. If they don't look like a pictures in a magazine...they think others will view them as defective..(maybe some do 8O ...I don't know). My sister is poor but will spend money on expensive nail decorations because she can't seem to loss weight and this is one thing that she can control and helps her self-esteem.

My broken fingernail trauma is based on sensory issues. I like to let my nails grow because it is very convenient to have "crafting tools" attached to my hands...(for picking up small beads....especially because I am always losing things but if their attached to me....easier to find in the clutter of my house. )anyway...if I break a nail off, I am left with a "rough thing" that will snag on everything and the "snag feeling" makes me feel like screaming...I carry fingernail files for this very emergency.

Now that you have some information.....you can gain some insight into HOW other people maybe experiencing something that does not bother you.....empathy= information....for me....(results may vary)


_________________
Just because one plane is flying out of formation, doesn't mean the formation is on course....R.D.Lang

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/


Amik
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 645

21 Jul 2008, 6:29 pm

Here's one more myth:

Aspies can't have a sense of humor.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,104
Location: Stendec

21 Jul 2008, 7:22 pm

What are some common myths about Aspies and Asperger’s Syndrome?

Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism are entirely different.
Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism are entirely the same.
Asperger’s Syndrome can be cured.
Asperger’s Syndrome is a disorder of empathy.
Asperger’s Syndrome is cause by a lack of parental love.
Asperger’s Syndrome is caused by allergies to food.
Asperger’s Syndrome is caused by mercury-laced vaccines.
Asperger’s Syndrome is easier for girls than guys.
Asperger's Syndrom is a mild disorder.
Asperger's Syndrome is a myth.
Aspergers Syndrome is a psychiatric disorder
Asperger's Syndrome is just another excuse for bad behavior.
Asperger's Syndrome is just another made up disease.
Aspies all belong in special education classes.
Aspies all enjoy foul odors and flavors.
Aspies all hate being Aspies.
Aspies all have a normal to above normal IQ.
Aspies all have eidetic memories.
Aspies all have great language skills.
Aspies all have male brains.
Aspies all have no friends.
Aspies all have no sense of humor.
Aspies all have superior intelligence.
Aspies all improve with therapy.
Aspies all lack a sense of humor.
Aspies all lack creativity.
Aspies all lack empathy.
Aspies all lack physical development.
Aspies all like being spoken for or taken for granted.
Aspies all live in a fantasy world.
Aspies all love being Aspies.
Aspies all make excellent actors and politicians.
Aspies all need to be talked to slowly in order to understand.
Aspies all want a girlfriend/boyfriend but can't get one.
Aspies are all "spastic".
Aspies are all benevolent eccentrics.
Aspies are all cold and callous.
Aspies are all computer-freaks.
Aspies are all dangerous.
Aspies are all destined for technical careers.
Aspies are all face blind.
Aspies are all hypersensitive to other people's judgment and opinions.
Aspies are all incapable of affection.
Aspies are all incapable of change.
Aspies are all incapable of having a meaningful career.
Aspies are all incapable of holding down a job.
Aspies are all incapable of lying.
Aspies are all incapable of maintaining personal relationships.
Aspies are all incapable of marriage.
Aspies are all incapable of playing team sports.
Aspies are all incapable of providing for their families.
Aspies are all incapable of telling the truth.
Aspies are all incapable of understanding any other perspective than their own.
Aspies are all indifferent to the rest of the world.
Aspies are all insane.
Aspies are all just naughty brats who haven't been raised the right way.
Aspies are all males.
Aspies are all math geniuses.
Aspies are all mentally ret*d.
Aspies are all monsters.
Aspies are all more likely to go on a shooting rampage.
Aspies are all more likely to suddenly become violent.
Aspies are all naturally obsessive-compulsive.
Aspies are all nerds.
Aspies are all nice caring people.
Aspies are all obsessed with Japanese animation.
Aspies are all of northern European descent.
Aspies are all psychic.
Aspies are all psychopaths and/or sociopaths.
Aspies are all robots.
Aspies are all savants.
Aspies are all so self-absorbed, that they don't see what is going on around them.
Aspies are all socially withdrawn.
Aspies are all stiff-limbed.
Aspies are all the same.
Aspies are all total egoists.
Aspies are all Trekies.
Aspies are incapable of caring about other people and their feelings.
Aspies are incapable of having feelings of their own.
Aspies are never adults.
Aspies are never creative.
Aspies can all be cured by having them spend more time with other people.
Aspies can all be fixed.
Aspies can all never make eye contact.
Aspies can only be children.
Aspies do not exist.
Aspies don't like other people.
Aspies don't like to read fiction.
Aspies don't want to have friends.
Aspies mature before puberty.
Aspies never adapt.
Aspies never have meaningful relationships.
Aspies never make eye contact.
Aspies never mature.
Aspies never see the “Big Picture”, only the minute details.
Aspies never show hurt or pain.
Aspies never smile or frown.
Aspies obsessions are limited to trains, dinosaurs, computers, math, and pokemon.
Aspies should know better without being told.
Aspies will never find partners that understand them.

(Compiled, sorted, and edited by Fnord on July 21, 2008 for your edification.)


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jul 2008
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 575

21 Jul 2008, 7:38 pm

fnord Right :roll: that definetly shows what aspies are



makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,805
Location: Banned by Alex

21 Jul 2008, 8:42 pm

Great list, Fnord!


M.


_________________
My thanks to all the wonderful members here; I will miss the opportunity to continue to learn and work with you.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,104
Location: Stendec

21 Jul 2008, 10:03 pm

SIXLUCY wrote:
fnord Right :roll: that definetly shows what aspies are

Once again, you've demonstrated your amazing grasp of the opposite. The list as compiled is of the myths associated with Aspies and Asperger's Syndrome, and not a list of common symptoms.

:?


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 195
Location: Toronto. But we call it Tarana.

21 Jul 2008, 10:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
SIXLUCY wrote:
fnord Right :roll: that definetly shows what aspies are

Once again, you've demonstrated your amazing grasp of the opposite. The list as compiled is of the myths associated with Aspies and Asperger's Syndrome, and not a list of common symptoms.

:?


Be honest. Every single one of the items you listed came directly from the DSM-IV :lol:


_________________
------------------------
ubi dubium ibi libertas


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,104
Location: Stendec

21 Jul 2008, 10:11 pm

Doc_Daneeka wrote:
Fnord wrote:
SIXLUCY wrote:
fnord Right :roll: that definetly shows what aspies are

Once again, you've demonstrated your amazing grasp of the opposite. The list as compiled is of the myths associated with Aspies and Asperger's Syndrome, and not a list of common symptoms.

:?


Be honest. Every single one of the items you listed came directly from the DSM-IV :lol:

No, every one came from this thread ... plus a few off the top of my pointy head.


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

21 Jul 2008, 11:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Doc_Daneeka wrote:
Fnord wrote:
SIXLUCY wrote:
fnord Right :roll: that definetly shows what aspies are

Once again, you've demonstrated your amazing grasp of the opposite. The list as compiled is of the myths associated with Aspies and Asperger's Syndrome, and not a list of common symptoms.

:?


Be honest. Every single one of the items you listed came directly from the DSM-IV :lol:

No, every one came from this thread ... plus a few off the top of my pointy head.


lol, Fnord.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

22 Jul 2008, 12:06 am

krex wrote:
Ana.....just to help you gain some insight to the dreaded fingernail breaking PTSD :lol: Some women have a lot of their self worth wrapped up in how their fingernails look. If they don't look like a pictures in a magazine...they think others will view them as defective..(maybe some do 8O ...I don't know). My sister is poor but will spend money on expensive nail decorations because she can't seem to loss weight and this is one thing that she can control and helps her self-esteem.

My broken fingernail trauma is based on sensory issues. I like to let my nails grow because it is very convenient to have "crafting tools" attached to my hands...(for picking up small beads....especially because I am always losing things but if their attached to me....easier to find in the clutter of my house. )anyway...if I break a nail off, I am left with a "rough thing" that will snag on everything and the "snag feeling" makes me feel like screaming...I carry fingernail files for this very emergency.

Now that you have some information.....you can gain some insight into HOW other people maybe experiencing something that does not bother you.....empathy= information....for me....(results may vary)


I bite my nails:( My fingernails are short and uneventful because of a chronic nail biting compulsion.

I didn't say I couldn't sympathize with the dreaded fingernail breakage, just not fully empathize. My condolences and give your fingernail a hug for me and all my best.



Draws
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 40
Location: Ontario, Canada

22 Jul 2008, 2:18 am

Hodor wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Jkid wrote:
Brung up by LulzLulzLulz:

Indivduals with AS are into Japanese animation and are stuck by their computers most of the time.


As stereotypes go, this is a fair one. My own observations agree.


Japanese animation, no. Computers, yes. But they are still nonetheless both stereotypes.


Add one more to the Japanese animation/computer types, as that is pretty much all I am into.



Juniperberrygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 94

22 Jul 2008, 3:39 am

I dislike canned tuna. :eew:

Some people seem to think canned tuna is a liked thing for all Autistic spectrum people.



Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,669
Location: Brisbane, Australia

22 Jul 2008, 5:16 am

Juniperberrygirl wrote:
I dislike canned tuna. :eew:

Some people seem to think canned tuna is a liked thing for all Autistic spectrum people.

I dislike canned tuna aswell.


_________________
Through dream I travel, at lantern's call
To consume the flames of a kingdom's fall


Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,191
Location: Birmingham, UK

22 Jul 2008, 5:31 am

What's the url for this site of yours, hale_bopp? :)

Doc_Daneeka wrote:
We do indeed all have wonderful linguistic skills. Par example, moi, je parlz le frenchie trez bun, nes pa?

:lol:


_________________
I don't have Aspergers, I'm just socially inept

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)


AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 994
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

22 Jul 2008, 7:55 am

Juniperberrygirl wrote:
I dislike canned tuna. :eew:

Some people seem to think canned tuna is a liked thing for all Autistic spectrum people.


I've never heard about that.
But I like canned tuna, anyway. And don't think that it's due to Asperger's.



Juniperberrygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 94

22 Jul 2008, 8:42 am

AnnePande wrote:
Juniperberrygirl wrote:
I dislike canned tuna. :eew:

Some people seem to think canned tuna is a liked thing for all Autistic spectrum people.


I've never heard about that.
But I like canned tuna, anyway. And don't think that it's due to Asperger's.


That's nice for you. Good healthy stuff, good for the brain (isn't it?). I only like Cooked Salmon, trout and cod.