Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 8:37 am

Shortsighted. I wear my glasses when I remember to.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 9:13 am

I have to wear contacts/glasses, because I ruined my eyes in front of the computer as a child.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2007, 9:39 am

Who told you that?

Being short-sighted means your eye-balls are to big for their lenses, or their lenses are too powerfull. Computers don't have anything to do with it, people had this affliction long before there were computers.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2007, 10:04 am

Try not to grab at strings, some simularities may just be coincidence. When you look too hard for traits in common people tend to make them concrete. As for glasses, yes I do wear them; however, other kids with aspergers in my school did not.

ChelseaOcean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2007, 10:10 am

alex wrote:
People who read a lot as a child generally need glasses. thats my theory. as a result, it makes sense for aspies to wear glasses.

I've had vision problems since I was 4 (lazy eye, nearsighted, and astigmatism), got glasses about the time I turned 5, and started reading at 5½. I did read a LOT as a child (still do when I have time) but my vision problems started long before I was reading.

And most people wear glasses, statistically speaking; poor vision is a dominant trait.

What *might* be related to AS is a strong desire to not wear contact lenses. My (AS) husband finds the idea absolutely impossible, full stop, not open for discussion. However, my (AS) ex-boyfriend wore contacts, even though he had to have a whole routine to prepare himself for touching his eye.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 10:43 am

Zwerfbeertje wrote:
Who told you that?

Being short-sighted means your eye-balls are to big for their lenses, or their lenses are too powerfull. Computers don't have anything to do with it, people had this affliction long before there were computers.

Yeah, exactly. Both of my parents started needing glasses in their early adult lives, neither of them used computers prior to that. Interestingly enough, my mom is not a fan of reading, but was wearing glasses in her late teens. My dad, who loves to read, didn't need glasses until his 40s.

I got my first pair when I was 25. I don't wear them around the house, but for distance it makes things a lot more comfortable.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 10:49 am

I'm supposed to wear glasses... but I don't have any, lol. My son wears glasses because he is blind in one eye and only has partial vision in the other.

I'm my own guinea pig.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 12:07 pm

I have a terrible astigmatsm in my left eye. I was told I was born that way....I also don't hear as well out of my left ear, if that accounts for anything....

my right eye is fine.

04 Oct 2007, 1:03 pm

I wear them. I have been since I was 18 and I need a new pair.

RasdenFasden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2007, 1:07 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Shortsighted. I wear my glasses when I remember to.

Same here.

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2007, 1:08 pm

I've worn glasses since I was in 3rd grade, thanks to my myopia, lazy eye, and astigmatism.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Oct 2007, 1:16 pm

I were glasses and have since I was 6!!

I recently got a nice new pair, best glasses I have ever owned

I tryed contacts, I could not stand the thought of placing something inside my eye, not to meansion the stories I was told about ppl leaving them in when they fall asleep and having to get them removed by a q-tip :| . I tryed for days, got 1 in and out suceessfully then decided to say 'screw it'

I look better with glasses.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2007, 1:17 pm

i've worn glasses since 5th or 6th grade. in left eye 20/200 other eye is closer to normal iirc.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 1:52 pm

I wear glasses for 6 years, since I was 17 however I saw first signals of problems with eyes when I was about 12.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2007, 2:02 pm

I wear glasses, have since I was 15. AS DD got her first pair this last summer at age 9, the same age her father(also suspected AS) got his.

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2007, 2:14 pm

I've been wearing glasses full time since the age of 11. I can't stand contacts. I refuse to touch my own eyeball.