Is Procrastination an Inevitable Part of Asperger's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2008, 1:14 pm

I live with procrastination on a daily basis.

last month had a bad tire... Could of done it on a friday, get it replaced but I didn ot want to get it done then, was wanting to do it sometime in the following week. That weekend on my way to work, the tire blew out. Ended up getting tires the next monday but if I would of got them done that friday, i would not of had the car towed back home that saturday.

I like to do thngs effeciently as well. like the saying an old surveying teacher used to say all the time, "the best surveyor is a lazy surveyor" meaning you did what needs to be done using the least amount of time and effort in getting it done. The excess fluff does not do any good and is counterproductive.

And yes, I am ADHD and Autie. Gave my mother a lot of 'grey hair' growing up.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 4:14 pm

Non fait. (Emphatic no.)

I really wish there'd be a sticky disclaiming that, generally, personality traits and interests are just that and aren't a direct effect of Asperger's syndrome. For example, I usually do not procrastinate.

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2008, 5:16 pm

Yeah, you're right of course, one couldn't claim a direct effect, & certainly it's something masses of people do. But at the same time, an unwillingness to start a task because you know you won't be able to give it all your attention, or an urge to put off a task because it involves social interaction - the particular reasons for the procrastination in those situations are related to aspergers, right?
So, while it is a personality trait separate from aspergers, aspergers could facilitate it. & i'm just wondering if it very generally facilitates it?

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2008, 11:24 am

I do not know what to say,

But when I am looking at a pair of shoes to buy, and there are many to choose from... I tend to think of many differnt possibilities frm each pair of shoes if I were to buy them... Using shoes is a bad example but anyways hre me out... It is as if I am not procrastinating because of indecision but rather too much information is being produced because there is not a distinct outline to follow and there is a lot of information to sort through and it is as if there is a domino effect... One thing leads to several. Without an outline of some sort, a clarity of reasoning as if there is a lack of direction and now tehre could be a number of possibilities.... It is those types of things I deal with procrastination.... not the percieved notion in which I am just being lazy and the sorts but rather overload and being crippled to some extent with the amount of information produced mentally trying to go down many roads at once.