Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 12:56 pm

Yup, I'm also guilty of giving out too much info.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 1:13 pm

Not sure if I do this or not. I haven't really paid attention myself.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jul 2008, 1:30 pm

I have done that once when I revealed to some friends during a meet at Disneyland that I got sick and that I had a lot of gas that is probably caused by drinking too much soda. Adam (someone I know) said "Have you ever heard of TMI? Too Much Information." Guilty as charged.

you will jouney from boy to man

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2008, 2:44 am

I say the wrong thing allllllll the time. It's crazy how often I get a confused or disgusted look from someone. It's part of why I never want to work in retail again!!

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 2:54 am

corroonb wrote:
SIXLUCY wrote:
Blame the victim Blame the victim No one point the finger at the Paedophiles :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
DSick sik sik society evidential

????? 8O

Seconded - what in the heck...

I stick to familiar phrases or don't talk... otherwise, I end up saying way too much.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 4:30 am

Just talkin to S O S

OH HELL
WHERE'S MY GUN
I'M TONY MONTANA
YOU MOTHER f*****g SCUMS
C HO LLOL

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2008, 4:53 am

I do reveal too much a lot, and I'm aware I do it, but sometimes I can't think of anything else interesting to say, so I'll just start talking about things that most people would consider TMI. In a lot of cases, approaching conversation like this is helpful because 1.) It usually leads to more interesting discussion than "What kind of bands do you like?" 2.) Sometimes the person will open up to me in return, and I'll learn something interesting and 3.) I don't have to worry much about saying anything embarrassing if I start with something personal. There are some times where I've made people really uncomfortable with some of my conversation starters however. >_<

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 10:09 am

SIXLUCY wrote:
Just talkin to S O S

OH HELL
WHERE'S MY GUN
I'M TONY MONTANA
YOU MOTHER f***ing SCUMS
C HO LLOL

Peeling away the layers topic

Exactly. And when i have tried the opposite, I was told i am stuck up. Then I kept the revealing to be logic only and people would still be angry?

I prefer to work alone.

About Lucy...I am not sure to whom you speak and why, but nasty phrases like that can get you banned. FYI. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 11:49 am

Smitch wrote:
I used to do this all the time (and still do if someone asks a straight question) until I finally realised that when someone says something like "How are you today?" the expected answer is "Good!" not "Well it was a bit soggy getting here and there was this person who kept on..." Seriously, it would be so much easier if people would ask such questions only when they actually wanted answers, and otherwise just use statements like "Hello!". I find filtering what I say all day to be tedious and annoying. And unfortunately in the job I am in, nessisary.

This is definitely my problem. If they don't want to know, they just shouldn't ask.

But I do go on and on and on and do often reveal too much personal information. My best friend (also AS) has it worse, sometimes she even tells people about her masturbation habits!

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2008, 2:17 pm

I use to reveal too much but stopped doing it when I realized the reaction I got from others was that they thought I was weird and annoying. I mostly do it in trying to explain myself. The worst I've done so far which is the guy I've talked about here before. I became obsessed with trying to get him to understand I wasn't after him and started writing him and he became more and more distant. Now it's taking everything I have to not write him and just be out with it and tell him I have AS. I think he has it too so he's totally freaked out by me. But yeah, I've revealed waaay too much with him but if he would just be normal around me, the anxiety would cease and I wouldn't feel like I need to explain myself anymore.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 2:27 pm

Aurore wrote:
Smitch wrote:
I used to do this all the time (and still do if someone asks a straight question) until I finally realised that when someone says something like "How are you today?" the expected answer is "Good!" not "Well it was a bit soggy getting here and there was this person who kept on..." Seriously, it would be so much easier if people would ask such questions only when they actually wanted answers, and otherwise just use statements like "Hello!". I find filtering what I say all day to be tedious and annoying. And unfortunately in the job I am in, nessisary.

This is definitely my problem. If they don't want to know, they just shouldn't ask.

But I do go on and on and on and do often reveal too much personal information. My best friend (also AS) has it worse, sometimes she even tells people about her masturbation habits!

:lol:

That is a bit too much information.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 2:29 pm

nekowafer wrote:
I find myself telling others way too much about my personal life - sexual or otherwise - than they need to or care to know. I'm aware that they don't need to know it, but for some reason it just pours out of me and I keep going. I can even see that they're either offended, disgusted, or bored, and I still keep going. I also suck at keeping secrets, lying, and setting up surprises, because I can't seem to keep myself from saying something.

I dunno if this is an AS thing or a nekowafer thing. Anyone else do this?

I used to tell anyone anything they wanted to know, because I thought that's what turned people into friends. I stopped when I realized that the more information you surrender, the easier it is for others to use it against you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VisualVox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2008, 2:57 pm

I used to tell people just what they'd asked -- how I was, what was going on in my world... and then I learned that people didn't really want that, so I just stopped.

My "solution" is to sit and watch discussions until I figure out what people are really interested in, then to just give them a smattering of details about myself.... and then turn the subject back to them.

NT folks love it when they're the center of attention, apparently. At least, that's been my experience. They really enjoy people seeming to be really interested in them. And considering how well I've learned to imitate countless other NT traits, I can certainly feign interest in NT folks for as long as it takes to get the subject off me... and onto their boss or their child or their car or their most recent vacation or whatever...

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 3:26 pm

Yes, quite a bit in fact. I'm not so bad with it now but there are still times when I don't know when to shut up.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 3:57 pm

To nekowafer:
whenever you want to say anything that can be hidden try to turn your thoughts in another way. I've been in several similar situations, thinking then: "Hell, it would have been better never said!". And it took some years to train myself to keep silent. Now I'm silent even when my enemies try to make me answer :wink:
Just try to think about other things, and the main should be: "KEEP SILENT!"
wish you good luck :)

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2008, 4:28 pm

It became a huge problem for me at work.. I'd try to explain something, and explain how I did it, and then we'd get into a conversation about a cute guy, and I'd mention my boyfriend, and it would go downhill from there. I eventually started telling people that sometimes I just have verbal diarrhea(wasn't offensive to me and made complete sense, but apparently it was gross to others!), and they sort of understood. I really try to show interest in other people, too, but not looking at them while they're speaking makes them think I don't care, even when I respond intelligently. I hope I get one of the two jobs I'm looking for.. security or IT work. Neither will involve talking to people much :D

Thank you Chaotica :) Usually when I can think of something very specific, like your post, that tells me not to say something, I'm less likely to say it.

Also, sixlucy, you're crazy but I like you anyway! :heart: