Page 2 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

neo-pagan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2008, 1:37 am

I had some relatives from the eighteen hundreds who robbed numerous banks 8)

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2008, 1:41 am

Samuel Godbehere. He was a silver smith in the late 1700's and early 1800's
Him and Edward Wigan worked together and created beautiful pieces of silver and gold, which can still be seen in some museums in England.
here is a pair of tea caddies done by Samuel and Edward:
http://www.metmuseum.org/TOAH/hd/esilv/ho_66.158.8.htm

Also, my uncle, Wayne Coy, works in the entertainment industry. He is the brains behind second chance prom, and other events. He also organizes concerts for people such as The Bay City Rollers, The Cowsills, and others. He also hosts a radio show. He has done a lot.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 2:31 am

Spokane Girl, glad your grandfather made it past that close call!

Both of my grandfathers were in the war. My dad's father was in Hiroshima just days after the bomb was dropped, and his death in 2006 was largely due to the long-term effects of the radiation catching up to him. Had the bomb not been dropped though, he would have surely been killed going into Japan on foot for a mission scheduled just a few days later. The Japanese had it so heavily fortified where he was going that nobody stood a chance.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 2:48 am

One of these gentlemen is my cousin (yes, I'm that old):
Space Cowboys: The Original 19
He was a CapCom for the first moon landing, and a shuttle astronaut who became the first to perform a special type of EVA; the device flown, he helped to develop. He served aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise (I've been on it, too!) He is my hero to this day.
His father was a Rear Admiral in the US Navy, and we have a battleship named for him and his father, a Commodore. The Commodore re-designed the official Presidential Flag and designed the official Seal of the President of the United States.
We have a world renowned jazz reed player; we have a guy who developed the theory and standards for theatrical lighting design that's still used today; we have a gal who writes of the travails of being rich and elite (not me); and we have an odd fellow who wandered off into the bush, and they wrote a book and made a movie about it. :?

Last edited by YowlingCat on 06 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:34 am

Ancestors out of the attic topic

One of my great aunts, on my mother's side, created the first Butterick sewing pattern, apparently in Alberta.

One of my great-grandfathers, the father of the aunt in the first paragraph, developed the idea for trained veterinary technicians to assist Vets. He was a teacher at a private school he started. Many disagreed with this concept, and he was ridiculed. Nowadays, many people avail themselves of such programmes, in different disciplines. (This is the forerunner of today's community colleges and private career schools.)

Another relative in England, on my father's side, was some sort of symphony conductor in the mid 1800s. One of his descendants was Russell Taber, a cousin of mine, who was a pretty decent Toronto painter(He did Group of Seven-like landscapes), and advertising graphic artist who created war propaganda posters, for a Canadian government agency.

Apparently, all these ancestors were quirky, so there may have been traits there. :D

And then there is me, Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory. :mrgreen:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 10:08 am

Supposedly, Sir Thomas More was a distant relative on my birth mother's side of the family. Dunno if he had Aspergers characteristics though.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 10:16 am

am dont know if have anyone famous in family,when dad [aspie] was a child he lived next door to someone famous-a horse called Dundrum that had won irish grand nationals,he was treated as part of the family.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 10:33 am

Jack Kerouac.

Which makes me really wonder if he had AS as well...

I have AS. My Father (Charles Martin Audette) had AS. I never knew my father's mother (Edna Kerouac) since she died in 1930 but I have to wonder if she had AS too.

Wonder how far AS goes back on my Father's side?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 11:59 am

Uber Aspie/Autie topic

It would be interesting and pleasing if we all could research back and find a common Parent! Hey, I can dream!

We are Fa-mi-ly!! ! :mrgreen:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

saintetienne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2008, 12:04 pm

adam and eve are our parents silly :P

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 3:35 pm

A few dubious characters... Thomas Andrews, builder of the Titanic (doh!) is a third cousin 6 times removed or something obscure like that. He's in there somewhere, somehow anyway.

We were also Australian convicts - shipped out to the colony from England for stealing food.

The saving grace would be dukes about 900 years ago on one side in England, and several knights over the years on the other side, also in England.

I'm sure there's more, we have our full genealogy back 1300 years on either side and all the documentation to read through from the lady who researched it all, I just haven't read through it all before. So there must be a few interesting characters in that time!!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 3:38 pm

I am descended from a long line of Burger-meisters in Holland.

I always think of the Burger-meister Meister-burger from the Rudolph cartoon when I say that.

We had always been told that we were descended from the famous astronomer/inventor Christian Huijgens but, alas, that was a different line.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:00 pm

Hang on, hang on... wait a minute... I just re-read what I wrote:

Quote:
we have our full genealogy back 1300 years on either side and all the documentation to read through from the lady who researched it all, I just haven't read through it all before. So there must be a few interesting characters in that time!!

Doesn't that just smack of 'aspie' to you?!

I think we have an answer.

(My grandfather had it too, as do several cousins and my siblings).

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:06 pm

I can claim, as direct-line ancestors through my paternal grandmother, Pres. John Adams, through his son Pres. John Q. Adams. And yes, his biographies, and records of letters between John and his wife Abigail, do show signs of Asperger's.

My wife can claim descent, on her father's side, from Clan Murray of Athol, from Scotland - which seems odd at first, given that she's black, but the lineage has been traced (by way of the Davises of Wales, to whom I am also related). As an interesting side note, the Adams line came originally from Clan Sumner, who had opposed Murray of Athol during the rebellion of Prince Charles, and who had been rewarded with some of the Athol lands. Later, the Adamses were relocated to Ireland, to help keep the Catholics in check. A couple of generations later, they were sent to the New World (I gather the alternative was to have every male member of the family hanged for sedition against the Crown). The rest, as they say, is history...

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:58 pm

Ravenclawgurl wrote:
my aunt (not by blood but by marriage) is aparently related to some former president i forgot which one it think is was Benjamin Harrison
That would make her related to William Henry Harrison as well.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:59 pm

Floyd Collins, the spelunker who died in Sand Cave in 1925, was a first cousin to my maternal grandmother. I don't know if anyone on that side of the family has AS.