Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:41 pm

I'm thinking that hating the smell of chemicals/plastics/etc may actually not be such a terrible thing. They are not that great for you.

In much the same vein, I have come to see not being able to talk to someone, no matter how hard I try, as a protective feature, rather than a hindrance. In times when I have "overcome" this and become friends with said individual (it has happened a few times that I've "pushed" it because I should be in control of these things) I have inveitably been hurt or insulted or led into a situation or style of interaction that I would have been better offnot being a part of. I visualize it as one aspect of my brain/personality overriding another, for the benefit of my protection.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:31 pm

There are certain smells that I don't mind & there are others that send me to the nearest exit. I don't care for really strong bleachy scented cleansing products, I HATE Pinesol, & Fabuloso, which both stink. But I am ok with citrusy scents in cleansing products.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

I have the same problem, actually. I think we have acid-base smell sensitivity, which means that we can tell when something is basic or when something is acidic. I can't stand some perfumes (acidic) that give me headaches, while soaps (bases) and seafood make me nauseous.

ARC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2008, 11:33 pm

For me, it's air fresheners... or the aerosol ones, anyway. Ugh.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:35 pm

Not really.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2008, 11:43 pm

I clean with vinegar and baking soda because they don't smell. Well, the vinegar smell goes away eventually.

As a kid, I could never go through the cleaning aisle at the grocery. I had to run around the other end and wait for my mom.

Jayman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2008, 11:32 pm

I like the smell of rubber especially, when I go into a tire store. I also like the smell of pinesol but not as much as rubber. IT is normal to not like the smell of cleaners and especially those with ammonia or bleach.