Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:11 pm

From what I've read people with AS have sensory issues (taste/smell etc.) well with smell I HATE the smell of cleaning products and was curious if anyone else had this issue. My mom says I like stinky stuff but I don't like urine or poo and can't stand fresh cut lawns. I down right HATE the smell of Lysol sprays or mopping liquid. ICK!! !! ! Thanks fellow WP members.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:11 pm

I HATE the smell of cleaning chemicals. It makes me choke.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:22 pm

I think some of them smell good, except Pinesol. I cannot stand that smell. It makes my eyes water, and my stomach all queasy.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:36 pm

I can't go certain places where they use certain deodorizers. To me, deodorizers smell much worse than the odor itself. Love my Carpet is horrible and nausea-inducing. Industrial bathroom cleaners and their fragrances are terrible. In my world, if I can smell it, I might as well be able to taste it. Sometimes I actually can taste it. It doesn't taste good.

I can smell these things on myself, too, for hours afterward if I so much as walk through a place where they have been used.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:49 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
From what I've read people with AS have sensory issues (taste/smell etc.) well with smell I HATE the smell of cleaning products and was curious if anyone else had this issue. My mom says I like stinky stuff but I don't like urine or poo and can't stand fresh cut lawns. I down right HATE the smell of Lysol sprays or mopping liquid. ICK!! !! ! Thanks fellow WP members.

When I was pregnant, the smell of cleaning products - even the residual left on a cafeteria table after it was wiped down between patrons, would make me nauseous.

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2008, 1:49 pm

I hate smelling cheese. I don't mind many cleaning fluids, though smells sometimes have weird effects on me. Mostly, they just remind me of stuff or make me think of stuff. (No, I don't intentionally smell it, it's in the air when I walk by or something.)
An Example: One classmate in my Home Economics class sprayed 409 in my cup that had ice in it. I picked up the cup and put some of the ice in it into my mouth to suck on it and it tasted like the smell of windex. (Needless to say I spit it out.)
-PowerGirl

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 1:52 pm

Some perfumes can be a problem to me, than I get short of breath or even a bit nauseous. But no problem with the smell of cleaning. (but the fact that I like the smell of super or diesel seems a bit strange to some people)

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2008, 1:53 pm

This is one reason I HATE cleaning all the bathrooms in the house (we have 3)
I just feel like vomiting when I smell those really strong smells. It is as if my head was just dunked into a bath of all those products. One in particular bothers me the most, I can not remember the name of it, but it is the one I have to use the most. The instructions say to wipe with water, and before I do that, it smells terrible, and then after I wipe it down with water, it smells like rotten eggs and vomit.
My parents do not care that I do not like the smell of these products, they think I am just making excuses to get out of my chores.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 2:25 pm

Thanks guys glad I'm not the only one. :-)

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2008, 3:21 pm

yeah, i hate cleaning products :/ theyre horrible... and oftentimes ill have this thing where things will taste like the smell of something, or something will smell like the taste of something ^^; and things taste different based on their color

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:29 pm

Ha yet another revelation, only got DX a couple of weeks ago. I have always thought people were weird when they said things like 'love this product makes the whole house smell clean'. NO IT MAKES YOUR HOUSE SMELL LIKE A CHEMICAL FACTORY. Still think their weird not me :wink:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2008, 4:31 pm

I'm actually the complete opposite. I have very little sense of smell, if at all. Sometimes everyone around me will be repulsed by some foul smell, whether it be from bodily functions or some other odor, and I won't smell the slightest thing. I wonder if my sense of smell has been affected by severe nasal allergies I've had over the years or a possible sensory thing. I've always thought it was due to allergies, but now I'm starting to wonder.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:47 pm

I could list hundreds of smells that make me gag. However, I am an anal retentive clean freak so I find the smells of cleaning products quite soothing.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:24 pm

I have the SAME "problem" as you! I spoke to a friend, who also posts here BTW, about how I can't STAND the smell generated by some plastics, such as credit cards, when you cut them. SHE said she has the SAME problem, and her husband doesn't believe they have a smell! I also HATE the book "earth in the balance" NOT only because it is hypocritical and I HATE the author, but ALSO because the wrapper(The clear celluloid like case) STINKS! Yet book stores don't seem to care, and I never heard anyone mention it!

Interesting thing though! I didn't mind the scent of my dog when he was skunked! :lol:

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2008, 5:34 pm

Regardless of whether I like or dislike the smell, it irritates in my nose and throat and makes me cough, especially perfumes, lotions, air fresheners, shampoos, scented soaps, fabric softeners, deodorents, detergents, hair spray, and cleaning supplies that are scented.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:35 pm

I don't like artificial odours. Cleaning fluid is especially repulsive to me. The smell of bleach makes me nauseous and it feels like I'm choking.