Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

05 Aug 2008, 1:37 am

I can remember in my teens I went for a few months without an obsession. I lost interest in my main obsessions and then I had nothing to be stuck on. I felt lost and bored inside. It drove me crazy. I didn't know what to do with myself because I had nothing to focus on. I realized I needed to have an obsession.

So has anyone ever gone without having an obsession? Did you realize you need to have one?

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 05 Aug 2008, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 1:39 am

Yes, I am pretty much on and off.

I lose interest in things quick.
Right now my are dogs and photograghy but I have never really lost interest in that.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 1:56 am

I generally lose my obsession when I have found all the information that I can find. Once I have read every book, every article, and browsed every forum, I no longer have anything new to learn. At that point I become bored with the topic. And I sort of idle around for a few days till I find something else that interests me. I dont need to have a research hobby, but I find life much more enjoyable when I do have one.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 4:15 am

I don't realy have one at the moment, I have picked some up but at the moment they are just intersts. It feels breing not haveing one, and every so often I feel realy empty. Maybe I will look into some of my older interests, like the golden dawn.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 6:00 am

8O I don't think I've ever been without an obcession, except when I was really depressed maybe...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Unbeliever
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2008, 6:15 am

I find I have short bursts of interest (or obsession). If I find something that interests me, I will concentrate on it til its' done or I get bored (usually a couple of weeks later).
Saying that, there have always been a couple of things that I've enjoyed all my life, even if I'm not obsessed with it all the time.

I do find that if I don't have an obsession I can get quite depressed, but I think that's just boredom, which affects everybody with nothing to do. If you take interest in things in the form of obsession, then you will always either be bored or obsessed, and it is always better to keep yourself busy :P

Gosmokesome
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2008, 6:19 am

Life is way more interesting when I have an obsession. Without one going on the internet is just boring and not fulfilling.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2008, 6:32 am

I have the opposite problem I have too many obsessions and have a hard time accommodating them all, I only ever get board when I am unable to pursue any of them or I am being forced to do something I don't want to do then all I can think about is getting back to any of the things I find stimulating.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 6:52 am

I've always had obsessions of one sort or another since I was little. I'm obsessed with video games, animals and books and have been since I can remember. Whenever I don't have obsessions, I'm usually depressed.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 7:23 am

My obsession is finding Hyperborea. I study the maps, books and articles trying to find anything about it. Anyone from Greenland here?.. You live there, on the part of the former Hyperborea, another part of the continent lies deep under the ocean. I hope I'll visit Greenland and the northern parts of Norway and Russia.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 7:33 am

I feel lost without an obsession. Without my main obsession, life would not be worth living.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 7:45 am

i hate not having an obsession. right now i guess it could be WP, but i don't have any special interest anymore, it used to be cars but i lost interest to some degree, i don't read anything new or spend time on it but i'm still interested in it. i need a new one, i hate being without one.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 8:05 am

Quote:
I can remember in my teens I went for a few months without an obsession. I lost interest in my main obsessions and then I had nothing to be stuck on. I felt lost and bored inside. It drove me crazy. I didn't know what to do with myself because I had nothing to focus on. I realized I needed to have an obsession.

Yes! obsession is, for me, like meditation. It gets all of the echolalic environmental white noise out of my brain so I can focus on something I view as meaningful and wake up when I have to and fall asleep when I have to. Without one I feel somewhat lost and empty.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 8:28 am

An obsession for me is like water to jump into, and my brain is always jumping whether the water is there or not. So without the obsession I have a hard landing :?.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 9:45 am

No. I apparently don't have AS-obsessions, just normal interests and obsessions. I did get a bit crazy after doing nothing at all for 4 whole months, but I usually do not invest much time in a topic of activity. I always need a change to see or do something new, but I also take joy in not doing anything specific as in those past 4 months.

cruachan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2008, 1:15 pm

intense wrote:
I have the opposite problem I have too many obsessions and have a hard time accommodating them all, I only ever get board when I am unable to pursue any of them or I am being forced to do something I don't want to do then all I can think about is getting back to any of the things I find stimulating.

Same here.... I've come to the point that my obsessions sort of cancel out each other, and I don't watch practically anything I downloaded in the past six months or so. Also, I received a HUGE ebook collection as a graduation present - and finished just one by now. Geez. Instead, I hang out in forums, I blog and read blogs, and play with my Thinking Putty (that's a GREAT thing btw). And not just time... there's exhaustion as well. Especially in >20 centigrade :roll: