Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 11:54 am

Anyone else notice huge sensitivity to nutrition? I know everyone needs to eat well, but I feel like I get hungry faster, have very specific reactions to foods, etc, than most people do.

The "rules" change, too. Right now I feel better eating more vegan stuff; sometimes I crave dead animal muscle. Constants are lots of water, lots of protein, and B-vitamin supplements.

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 12:48 pm

I eat whatever my body tells me it needs. Usually that's just lots of vegetables, fruit, and some nuts and seeds. If I need more energy I'll eat energy-dense foods like spirulina. Sometimes I'll need a bit of meat, usually none at all. I'm gluten-free at the moment because my digestive system needs a bit of a break, I can feel things going a bit wonky, so I'll cut out the irritants.

I just listen... most people are so out of tune with their bodies these days, but it's easy to know what you need if you stop eating junk food and just listen to it. :)

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 12:59 pm

/listens to body
/doesn't hear anything and forgets to eat
/dies

:lol:

I eat perhaps two meals a day and a snack (fruit, cereal) when I wake up. Too many people eat more than they should and thus increase the amount of food it takes to feel "full" in the first place. I have a can of Coke and a bit of chocolate when I feel like it too.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:06 pm

I eat from the moment I wake up till the moment I go to sleep, which is the best way to keep your metabolism healthy (I'm about 52kg and 5'2, size 8). I also fast one weekend a month, eating just one small meal a day but drinking lots of water.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:11 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
I eat from the moment I wake up till the moment I go to sleep, which is the best way to keep your metabolism healthy (I'm about 52kg and 5'2, size 8). I also fast one weekend a month, eating just one small meal a day but drinking lots of water.

What's a size 8) ?

I don't know what size I am but I eat reasonably healthy food. My favourite cereal is Fruit and Fibre which is bran flakes and various dried fruits and nuts.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:13 pm

Haha, I love shopping too much to not know my size.

Guess some things don't change if you're a girl, aspie or not... ;)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:15 pm

I eat more or less the same things every day, protien for breakfast, fruit for brunch, turkey or tuna salad sandwich for lunch, nuts for a snack, and a salad and pasta for dinner.
I notice a difference when I deviate much.

- Emerson

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:17 pm

The only difference I notice is that when I am hungry I tend to be more anxious than when I have eaten. Otherwise my mental or physical state doesn't really change depending on what I eat.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:43 pm

am hate solid food and dont eat many solid things for sensory reasons.
staff said to the doctor recently am have three to four meals a week and no other food,though am not underweight because of drinks.
am also have complan milkshakes every day which give the same things that are in a meal,as well as vitamin B6 and magnesium, have tried to get ensure milkshakes prescribed but gp says they dont like them prescribing it often because it costs a lot,so he's refered am to dietician to try and find ways around the problem with food and get ensure prescribed.
am don't feel hunger,and can go days without food until am forced to eat.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:51 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
am hate solid food and dont eat many solid things for sensory reasons.
staff said to the doctor recently am have three to four meals a week and no other food,though am not underweight because of drinks.
am also have complan milkshakes every day which give the same things that are in a meal,as well as vitamin B6 and magnesium, have tried to get ensure milkshakes prescribed but gp says they dont like them prescribing it often because it costs a lot,so he's refered am to dietician to try and find ways around the problem with food and get ensure prescribed.
am don't feel hunger,and can go days without food until am forced to eat.

You could try liquidising food if it would help. Smoothies can be very nice and they are an easy way to eat fruit or vegetables.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 11:37 pm

I don't eat vegetables unless they're smothered with tomato sauce. I don't eat fresh fruit (apart from the occasional apple pie), for some reason I just can't eat it, even the smell of it makes me feel sick (though I don't have this problem with dried fruit).
I overeat by grazing. I can't eat a big meal in one sitting.
I get heartburn from eating meat and wholegrain cereal products.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:42 am

I just cram meat pies into my gob. 'nuff said.

Still skinny, though.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2008, 7:31 am

I'm not too sensitive to diet, except that I stay away from fried foods and anything that's particularly rich and dense. I tend to like things that have little substance but lots of flavour, and that's really my only preference when it comes to food.

But I'm only borderline NT. My boyfriend has full-blown aspergers and is very particular about what he eats. It needs to be healthy, light, flavourful, not fried and have no artificial additives. He says he can taste the difference if food is even the slightest bit 'synthetic' and he will never, never touch junk food. He's hyperaware of his digestive system and says he can feel it labouring if it has anything rich, so he rarely eats red meat. When he's depressed, he gives his system a rest by eating mostly vegetables and no protein except occasional fish. He doesn't understand people who are 'lazy eaters' and turn to fast food instead of cooking for themselves.