Would you like to have a terminal illness?

Page 1 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:40 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but if I had a terminal illness I wouldn't have to worry about reaching old age sad and lonely, I would quit my job and enjoy my last days in the comfort of my own home, and I wouldn't have to worry about killing myself. Sometimes I feel like being diagnosed with a terminal illness would be more of a blessing than a curse. (Let's just hope it's one of those terminal illnesses that kills you all of a sudden and not one of the ones that cause you agony till the very end.)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:53 pm

Sometimes after seeing all the special treatment they get. No one ever offered to pay for my family to go to Disney World because I had AS. But Make-A-Wish always pays for kids with termanial illnesses to to things just because they dying. Everyone is so super nice to them and I get Hell all the time even when people do know I have AS. I used to want to get breast cancer so I could could have a surgery to have them removed and never have to wear a bra again.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:15 pm

Has come to mind, but I think I have not experienced it befor so I can not understand the workings of the almighty spaghetit monster.

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:21 pm

I've given that idea thought before. I had osteomyelitis as a kid and loved the scared feeling of knowing I could go at any time.

I miss that feeling, now I just see myself getting older, fatter and dumber with each passing year.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:38 pm

8O 8O Heck, NO ! !

Maybe you could try and seek help for depression instead.

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:41 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
8O 8O Heck, NO ! !

I am, 60 MG of Prozac a day.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:49 pm

Interesting question, and equally interesting are the honest responses. I often wish I had something obviously wrong with me. Reason? Because I KNEW something was wrong with me, something missing, something I could not articulate. Felt trapped by the feeling of being considered "normal" on the outside amidst the chaos that went on in the inside (my mind, and my home).

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:58 pm

MADDuck wrote:

After having tried antidepressants (paroxetine) for 8 consecutive months and having restarted and quitted (for short periods) other 4 times I'm very skeptical about them as a long term solution. Is there anything you could change in your life, either behavior or the way you see certain things ? Hope you find it.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 8:01 pm

MADDuck wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
8O 8O Heck, NO ! !

You should make an innate effort to fix your depression just for the sake of not giving the pharmaceutical companies the pleasure of having you as their slave.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 8:10 pm

Sometimes, maybe.

Every so often I get into moods where I wish something would kill me. But that really hasn't happened for about a year or so.

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 8:13 pm

Mw99 wrote:
MADDuck wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
8O 8O Heck, NO ! !

You should make an innate effort to fix your depression just for the sake of not giving the pharmaceutical companies the pleasure of having you as their slave.

With all due respect, you don't know me.

Without the AD's I'd of prob. not made it this long. I started a thread a while back called, "YAY I'm depressed"

read it, it documents why I take them....

Last edited by MADDuck on 23 Jul 2008, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 8:13 pm

Mw99 wrote:

Slave. Very appropriate term. Antidepressants just made me more stupid, stunned, dazed, decreased my will, making me more a puppet than a person. Yeah, they may (and do) make you feel well, but just the same way my grandma with Alzahimer feels well, thanks to unconsciousness...and of course the depression was still there. I'm not saying antidepressants are evil and everyone should quit them, this is just my opinion based on my personal experience, I'm just trying to suggest that maybe there are other solutions with greater long term efficacy.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:29 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
Mw99 wrote:

Slave. Very appropriate term. Antidepressants just made me more stupid, stunned, dazed, decreased my will, making me more a puppet than a person. Yeah, they may (and do) make you feel well, but just the same way my grandma with Alzahimer feels well, thanks to unconsciousness...and of course the depression was still there. I'm not saying antidepressants are evil and everyone should quit them, this is just my opinion based on my personal experience, I'm just trying to suggest that maybe there are other solutions with greater long term efficacy.

Wow. I'm on antidepressants and so far they've only made me feel better. I don't feel stupid with them either. I guess they affect all of us differently.

I understand wanting some sort of terminal illness. My mom is chronically ill and she's always had all this love and affection for it. But I think I wouldn't actually want it if I had it, because being terminally ill would totally suck.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:31 pm

Who would like to have inoperable cancer, diabetes, or cystic fibrosis?

Just in case you might not be getting your share of horrible protracted suffering ...

Seriously, this is some sick humour y'all.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:36 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Who would like to have inoperable cancer, diabetes, or cystic fibrosis?

Just in case you might not be getting your share of horrible protracted suffering ...

Seriously, this is some sick humour y'all.

Good point.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:51 pm

No, I had a cancer scare a few years ago, and the worrying and painful tests were not fun (bone marrow biopsy, anyone?). I actually was making plans for how I would have my eggs removed (my cousin had her eggs destroyed by radiation when she had the type of cancer they thought I had), and how I would attend college while still receiving treatments.

Also, my academic advisor currently has terminal cancer, and it totally sucks. Lots of feeling ill, painful procedures, and not being able to actually live your life. I doubt having people be sympathetic makes up for it, especially as the amount of attention you get probably drops off sharply after initial diagnosis.