30-40 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
never learnd how to drive 10%  10%  [ 15 ]
never learnd how to drive 10%  10%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 150

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 12:08 am

I didn't get my license until I was 30. I simply could not find anyone to teach me in a way that I could understand until then. Also, I tend to learn by doing, and that freaked people out. They would talk too much and tell me all sorts of stuff, my mind would overload from them not shuttign up, and pretty soon they didn't want to teach me anymore.... :P

The guy who taught me was more or less quiet except to answer the questions I had in a very logical, practical manner, which was just what I needed.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 6:11 am

Licence at 15, Driving at 16, Restricted licence at 17, Full Licence only this year.. at 20.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 7:55 am

Quote:
wow - I had just posted a question about driving on the Teen Forum. My son got his permit easily - aced the test. But after taking road lessons, is nowhere near being able to drive. He's 18. He's very anxious about the whole thing and isn't really sure if he will ever get his license. He didn't like the lessons because he felt like he was being criticized every time he made a mistake. He feels that he isn't aware enough on what's going on all around him. He still wants me to take him out to practice, but only when everything is just right (when he's not tired, or has something else that he wants to do, or not too early, or not too late, or when the stars line up, etc...)

Your son sounds just like me, except that we aren't required to get a permit in our state, so I skipped that part.

I took driver's ed when I was 17, and had a terrible time with it. It didn't help that all I had to practice in was a giant purple minivan (keep in mind I'm only 4 feet and 10 inches tall, I could barely see over the hood, and behind me, forget it). Almost every summer during college I would attempt to practice, but it never came to anything until this summer (I graduated and decided I just couldn't put it off anymore). So I got my liscense this past August, at 22 years of age. I ended up taking adult driver education instructions from a private instructor (it was just road practice) and studying the manual on my own. I aced the test.

Having the lessons helped in getting me to practice more regularly, because I would have to practice a certain skill before going to the next lesson so that I could prove to the teacher I knew it and we could move on to the next step.

You should also keep in mind that being tired, etc, can really make someone more susceptible to sensory overload. I'm not sure if that's your son's problem, but it certainly was part of mine.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 8:13 am

I got my permit and then my license a little before I turned 18. But my having a car to drive has been somewhat inconsistent. Currently, I'm not driving because my car is dead and my license got suspended this August for an insurance thing which happened TWO YEARS ago and then nobody but the insurance agent bothered telling me my license had been suspended.

Stupid License Bureau... never even BOTHERED to inform me! I coulda been arrested (which the South County Police seem to like to do for people without licenses).

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 11:28 am

I started driving a tractor when I was 7 or 8. . . .

I got my lincense when I was 18. I'm a ok driver.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 12:20 pm

It looks as if I'm the only aspie here who got his license at age 16. However, I have a serious anxiety problem with driving anyplace by myself that I haven't driven to before numerous times. And I haven't driven in over a year.

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2005, 12:23 pm

Elk wrote:
i dont drive at the age of 25. i was just wondering how many other people here either dont drive or were late learning how to drive. i cant drive because i have terrible reaction time and hand eye coordination. ret*d i know but i guess its good for a laugh hah

Not really; some people vary in their development; some people can learn things quicker, while they struggle learning other things.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 4:25 pm

I started learning how to drive around when I was 17 or 18, but very infrequently, and I never liked doing so. Since our High School had a horrid and unresponsive driver's ed program, and I was spending 5 days each week the following five years at college, taking the train home over the weekends, I seldom had time to drive. It wasn't until last summer that I took another driver's ed course, and then continously practiced until I recieved my liscence.

That was a few months ago, and I'm 23 now. I still don't have a car, and at the rate my employment luck is, I don' think that's going to change any time soon. My dad is under the impression that it is a necessary 'right of passage' and that I need a liscence etc., though what for at this time he has never adequately explained.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 7:16 pm

I've yet to get my license and I'll be 31 in three weeks. Although I took driver's ed in high school and even forked over $200 for private lessons right after I graduated from college, I failed the road exam by running a stop sign.......in the parking lot. :lol: I was so nervous that day I even went into drive when I should've reversed while coming out of the parking space. After failing, my grandfather, who took me to the DMV lit into me so much I was crying after I got home.

I haven't gone back since and haven't had the desire since no one wants me practicing in their car, which I'll need before I take the test again. I'm extremely nervous behind the wheel and it's as if everything on the road is coming at me all at once to hit me. And with me freaking out on the road when I'm the passenger much less the driver, I don't think I'll ever be able to drive.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2005, 12:17 am

One of the most noticeable factors in getting a driver's license seems to be the availability of reliable mass transit or some one who is willing to drive for you.

I have several friends from Boston and New Jersey who don't have a license and they are in their 20's. They tell me it is because it's so much easier to just hop the bus/subway.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 12:20 am

i didnt learn to drive until around 18. I didnt care enough. Everyone around me knew to the exact second when they could get what license to do what crap.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 5:49 am

I got my Learner's permit when I was 19 and only started lessons (because my dad refuses to teach me how to drive) about a year ago (at age 21). I'm a few weeks away from getting my automatic only Probabatory License.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2005, 6:24 am

I was a driver's ed graduate at 18. I don't have my own car though, I'll use one of the cars of my parents when I need to. To commute to school and work I use public transport, which students can do for free.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2005, 8:08 am

Started driving on road cars/trucks when I was 14. Got learners permit at 15 and license at 16. Cars have been a constant area of high interest since early childhood. Always interested in operating machiney.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 1:30 pm

Still have permit, no liscense yet. I don't like driving though, but it's a necessary evil. My stepdad well probably start teaching me this week.

ridgerider
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2005, 3:30 pm

Farm kid - started driving tractors at 11, not fulltime but some 10 hour days. By 13 was working fulltime when not in school, mostly operating tractors for 60 hours a week. Big flat fields. Father made me get license at 14 so I could haul grain. Although I could drive loaded trucks into town, the license didn't allow me to drive a car until I was 16 by which time I had thousands of hours of machinery operation under my belt and I remember the first time i drove a car it felt like driving a toy.

Of course, that long slow learning curve really isn't relevant to most people learning to drive in cities. I had the luxury of learning where it was relatively safe and lots of practice.

I never bought a car when I was young because after driving all day the last thing I wanted to do in my leisure time was more driving. I was more into bicycling. Once I started having kids tho had to get a car.

I have known NTs who never got their license until they were in their 50s because they lived in NYC and had no need to.