how did you come to an acceptance of being different?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2008, 9:42 am

Just out of curiousity for the ones in this thread that have finally accepted aspergers for all that it is?

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 9:55 am

I just sort of always knew that that just how I was. When I found out about my aspergers was who I was, It didn't really affect my life much. And by that time my brother was already diagnosed, and I just sort of knew that that's how I was too. My brother and I were and are very close, and I knew we were alot alike. My parents told me that I had it, they didn't hide it from me. It wasn't a big deal to me until recently, when I saw how they wanted people like me to not exist. Then it became important. I knew I was different for my whole life, but it didn't really matter to me because my brother was different too. I thank god every day for him, because I think I might have taken it harder if he didn't have it.

So yeah.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 10:01 am

I always knew I was different in some way and AS was the answer I was looking for. I could be myself without being "weird" or "abnormal". It helped me accept who I am and have some self-confidence.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 10:04 am

Joshandspot wrote:
Just out of curiousity for the ones in this thread that have finally accepted aspergers for all that it is?

How are YOU coping with coming to acceptance ?

Was it a shock for you ?

Does it affect your anticipation of the future ?

Has it affected your hopes, ambitions and expectations ?

What was your reaction when you were diagnosed ?

Me ?

I find it at once, depressing and liberating.

For sure, it's the greatest realisational milestone of my life.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 10:06 am

i have no problem being different, i know i have a good heart and whatever possibly negative differences i have are compensated by that. and people who like me, like me with all of that. what more do i need to be okay with that?

mooniestar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2008, 10:11 am

My first reaction was happiness, because my counselor finally figured it out after 5 months of seeing her. But then she dropped me out to the wolves, or rather the world, when all she did was say "Well that's great news! I'll see you next week." And I was really upset that she didn't plan on helping me cope with this newfoud revelation.

In the end, I'm relieved that I'm not just a 'bad kid' or a 'troublemaker', but it also makes me very frustrated when I'm not allowed to talk about my diagnosis, because nobody around here understands it. I guess that's understandable since it didn't really become official until the 90's. Even where I live now, you're still just 'ret*d'. I hate how ignorant people are, but I guess you can't expect isolated villages to have heard about the gospel, so to speak. Maybe I need to become the 'missionary for Autism' around here.

So no, I don't mind being different, and I accept it fully. I just wish others would too.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 12:06 pm

The only way I think I know how to answer this question: YOu just deal with it. You just roll with it.
You're different - just keep living your life.

It was kind of like - Here I am. I'm an Aspie. I can't drill it out of my skull or get a blood transfusion to get it out of me. So pick up the ball and run, man!

Last edited by markaudette on 20 Aug 2008, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 12:19 pm

I always felt that I don't seem to think the same way other people do. Now I kind of know what that's called. There never really was much to accept.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 12:33 pm

I've always known. The only acceptance I needed was around the fifth grade, when I accepted that I would never be popular.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:06 pm

Why wouldnt I?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:06 pm

Why wouldnt I?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:11 pm

What is it?

Anyway, I am not different. I'm normal and everyone else is different and odd.

That automatic thinking might actually account for an impaired theory of mind or something. I now know that it's me that's different, but I can't identify with the idea on more than a factual basis.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 3:11 pm

I think that I've always accepted the fact that I was different, but I believe that I need more practice in accepting the indifference of other people.

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2008, 3:47 pm

Because I AM different from other people I really have no choice, I mean I'm not going to change anytime soon so I might as well except it. I guess I excepted it when I became an adult and realized that it doesn't really matter if I fit in or not.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:21 pm

Sora wrote:
What is it?

Anyway, I am not different. I'm normal and everyone else is different and odd.

That automatic thinking might actually account for an impaired theory of mind or something. I now know that it's me that's different, but I can't identify with the idea on more than a factual basis.
By the same reasoning, you might say that the Sun orbits the Earth.

...I'm actually not making fun of you... hang in here a bit...

The Sun, of course, does not orbit the Earth; nor does the Earth truly orbit the Sun. They both orbit their mutual center of gravity.

Same thing. Aspies aren't the "different ones" by any rationale other than pure numbers. NTs are different from Aspies; Aspies are different from NTs. It's mutual. They orbit each other. :P

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 2:25 am

I already lived with the consequences (good and bad), but I also had a lack of answers. I'd settled for 'just lazy', just 'making mountains out of molehills' and 'it's the same for everybody but they just get on with it'.

I knew I was different and accepting it was just personality quirks and poor attitudes did not make sense. It's a lot easier to accept things that actually make sense. Knowing I have AS simply posits an answer that makes sense in place of one that did not.